Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 18:43   #1

Sail Boat Oops

This story is about something that happened back in probably 66 or 67. I was a electronics tech aboard the USS AMERICA. We were anchored in Athens Greece, one of the most beautiful ports that we ever visited. Well some of the ship's officers had rented a sailboat a real nice class boat. Probably about a 50 footer. These goofoffs wanted to impress the ships crew I guess so they decided to come out to where we were anchored and sail around the ship.........feel like something bad is about to happen.... well you are right. An aircraft carrier has hugh elevators to carry aircraft from the hangar deck below up to the flight deck..... Well these goof balls (jr officers) tried to make a circle of the ship, (much too close also), and while their mast was UP maybe 40 or 50 feet , one of the elevators was DOWN perfect setup right. Well they came around with all hands waving and having a good ole time, after everybody on board having a few beers, not noticing that the elevator was much lower than their mast...... and KAZAM BAM BOOM WHACK etc etc. Not sure what the outcome was after they limped back to the owner but they for sure had to get off some big bucks for the damage to the boat not to mention their sailing skills or lack of same. Now I must say that as they started out to do, they did impress the rest of the crew that witnessed this fiasco.
Oh I might add, that there was no damage to the 1100 foot long 4.5 acre flight deck aircraft carrier. Glad I wasn't on board with them.
Old 24-04-2011, 18:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail boat ooops

Sorry... ex RN and our carriers are a lot smaller... thats why we invented/used vertical take-off planes...
I don't get it... now can an elevator for aircraft in the deck damage a sailboat a lot lower than the deck of the carrier... isnt it something like 80+ft from deck to water.... and whats the elevator doing at the side of the carrier... what little I've seen... courtesy of 'Top Gun' etc.... they're pretty central to the ship...
Illuminate this ignorant 'Brit' please....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:06   #3

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Re: Sail boat ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry... ex RN and our carriers are a lot smaller... what little I've seen... courtesy of 'Top Gun' etc.... they're pretty central to the ship...
Illuminate this ignorant 'Brit' please....
US carriers have the aircraft elevators at the deck edge- that way they do not interfere with flight operations. Don't forget they are using conventional airplanes with catapults & arresting cables, not a ski-jump & VTOL.
Click image for larger version

Name:	13yqdk2.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	26559
Old 24-04-2011, 19:50   #4

Right our elevators are on the edge of the flight deck not center as some of the older carriers were. We had 3 on the starbard side and 1 to port. With the elevator down It is probably 40 feet off the water. maybe more or less. Flight deck is around 70 to 80 feet.
PS we didn't have those "jump ups like the Brits had then. I liked the flight deck on the HMS HERMES with a run fast and jump up ramp up forward. Some of the HERMES crew came aboard our ship while we were both in Genoa Italy maybe '67. Lot smaller than we were but still pretty impressive ship. The Hermes was, by the way the command or "flag ship" during the Faulkland war.
Old 24-04-2011, 19:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail boat ooops

Cheers ZednotZee... 'Dude'.... appreciate the explanation
Old 24-04-2011, 20:19   #6

Perhaps a better explaination of our carriers.

USS GEORGE WASHINGTON

USS AMERICA --- MY SHIP

YOURS TRULY
Old 24-04-2011, 20:28   #7

Illuminate this ignorant 'Brit' please....[/QUOTE]

Let there be a bit of light dude

Ps from the water line to the keel "bottom of da boat ya'll" is about 25 feet.

In the diagrams the elevators come down to level with the main hanger deck
Old 24-04-2011, 21:31   #8

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_goin_dude View Post
Perhaps a better explaination of our carriers.

USS GEORGE WASHINGTON

USS AMERICA --- MY SHIP

YOURS TRULY
I cauth a ride home from Viet Namn on her in 1968, I was on PBR's for two years 4 month's in-country. You can't belive how beautiful that ship was to my eye's. [from what I came off of] ..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 05:59   #9

I was on PBR's for two years 4 month's in-country.

Wow pbr's tough duty dude. Tremendous power in a small package for sure. Congrats and thanks for your service. I spent 2yrs 9 mos on the America loved every minute. Wish now I had stayed but at time (68) decided to get out. Lots going on in 68 and a lot of it not good.
Enough.

Jerry
Old 25-04-2011, 07:04   #10

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_goin_dude View Post
I was on PBR's for two years 4 month's in-country.

Wow pbr's tough duty dude. Tremendous power in a small package for sure. Congrats and thanks for your service. I spent 2yrs 9 mos on the America loved every minute. Wish now I had stayed but at time (68) decided to get out. Lots going on in 68 and a lot of it not good.
Enough.

Jerry
Was'nt fun but lived to tell the story. I too wanted to be a lifer, but would only have been sent back to hell if I did. Made E-7 through combat promotins. Would have become a boat skipper. Could'nt live with that at the time, I would be 23. Wounded twice, that was enough for me. Thank You mate, maybe our path's will cross sometime.....Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 08:49   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Sail Boat Oops

Why Boatman !!--I am surprised that an old 'tar' such as you, didn't know that the angled flight deck is a Brit idea, adopted by the U.S
Old 25-04-2011, 09:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail Boat Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Why Boatman !!--I am surprised that an old 'tar' such as you, didn't know that the angled flight deck is a Brit idea, adopted by the U.S
LOL..... I hunted and sank submarines.... great fun... even if the mortars were blanks...
above water level I left to the gunners and 'Airy Fairy's'.....

Tags
sail