Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46   #31

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Talking Re: RANT: The "danger" of sailing

A little more editing is required.

"Shortly" is measured in days by the rotation of the earth, not in hours by the hairs on your wrist!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: RANT: The "danger" of sailing

I read somewhere that most fellas who die of natural causes at home do so......

....on the toilet (something to do with the strain ).

or

.....doing something else. alone

Not sure what all that has to do with boats though .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04   #33

Boat: OEM, proportional

Blindness is not inherently fatal.....
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Blindness is not inherently fatal.....
It is possible that they got struck down by your mate .
Old 07-08-2012, 14:00   #35

Boat: OEM, proportional

Ultimately true, Dave.

I thought most folks carked it in bed....usually of old age and its related infirmites. Beating the tomtom in the wigwam is a rare wallet-calendar event rather than a weekly-planner one, in that state.....though from experience in aged care, the drive is still there only the damn car won't start.

Interesting, the discussion about actual risk vs. perceived, and misconceptions. A lot of money is made that way, based on a lot of worrying, and/or the desire for convenience.

Most western people these days die in the womb, before birth...I did the math once and was sick for days: in my country alone, to the tune of over 300 per hour during business hours. Yet we let the Testicle Squashing Association fondle us in ways that attract lengthy gaol-terms if we went about doing that to random strangers, and everything we transmit electronically is stored and sifted, on account of the equivalent of one day's worth of abortions in one small country, nearly 11 years ago.

In the meantime, people in the countries whence we get the raw materials for our vital plasma screens die of all sorts of horrible yet easily preventable diseases, or because the food they grow rots before it gets to them because their distribution system is worse than ours was before engines became popular. Now I'm not off on a social justice rant, that's for folks of a political bent.....what I'm trying to say is that we hear lots of stuff over our lives but unless we're careful we get the wool pulled over our eyes especially with regard to what is actually important, what is necessary, what is luxury, what is actually happening, and what merely sounds good because it's singled out or sparkled up for us.

Sure, sailing can be dangerous....but so are beds. Some folks scoff at me for my harebrained idea of running off to sea....one angle they try to worry me with is what happens to me when I'm old. If I never have children, then I'd rescue some poor slob from misery; if he/she will change my nappy and spoonfeed me my porridge and put up with my worsening dementia, they can have my stuff. I can't take it with me. I'd rather die relatively free under my own deck, with folks around me that I cared for personally, than a nameless number on someone's list with all my paltry belongings going to feed Molech. Perhaps I might not linger so long in my own berth compared to the wards where I worked....but then my stuff goes to folks I know, and dying on the ward is awful. Seen enough. It is no way for a human to die.

As to a different kind of exit, drowned because I fell overboard, or the ship broke, or some slob murders me for my titanium CQR, or I choke on my rum....whoopee, I'm just as dead as if I was in a car wreck or my cholesterol strangled me. In the meantime I enjoyed a thousand gorgeous sunsets in as many different places, had a whole lot of variety and challenges, and likely had more inclination and opportunity and ability to help folks, than if I were stuck in the rut like a slotcar to nowhere, like most. Now, I've tried talking to folks about this, most think I'm nutty. Most you, however, know I'm nutty...and I'm probably preaching to the choir, anyway. Watch out, I know some of you by now....I'm in good company.

What is it that motivates the landlubber to frustrate a cruiser with groundless statements like the OP relates? Could it be that down deep they would like to have that kind of experience but are themselves trapped, and the rationalisations they (we all) come up with get spoken as a kind of shield and self-justification and excuse? Rather than despise them, I fear for them, take pity on them, and am grateful I'm somehow different (just need to be careful not to overexpose it or the big blokes with the butterfly nets and white coats will be looking for me.....they might stop me sailing!).

How does one escape the contagious landlubber herd-mindset? With great difficulty. It is portable. It comes naturally. It is reinforced and fed, over a lifetime. It's like luggage...you'll probably never get rid of it, but you can lock it in the bilge and refuse to use it. Be on your guard, it can pick locks...
Old 07-08-2012, 14:09   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

we spend so much time posting about scarily and dangerous stuff compared to the good stuff that sometimes I wonder why a lot of people on CF even have boats
Old 07-08-2012, 14:15   #37
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
we spend so much time posting about scarily and dangerous stuff compared to the good stuff that sometimes I wonder why a lot of people on CF even have boats
+1

But at the pub with your landlubber mates it is so much more fun to see their faces go white when you talk about 100meter waves and 200kt winds!

I mean you can't imagine Capt. Arab telling tales in his local about a 20ft dolphin can you?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 15:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Well...i was laughing my butt off reading this thread until it got serious with targets message....which reminded me of something.....when my son went off to Afghanistan...of course everyone said all the negatives about how dangerous it was....well ....we chose to stay positive and then we read some interesting facts....
I read an article today entitled..... An Interesting Suggestion: If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers. The firearm death rate in Washington DC is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. That means you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in the US capital which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the U.S., than you are in Iraq... Conclusion: The US should pull out of Washington!

I guess people think they are safer with familiarity.....
These statistics appear to be incredible... so.. checking further.... found that they are nor credible... in the interests of not digressing too much here is a good link:

Google Answers: Firearm Death Rate in Washington, D.C.

As to the danger of sailing.. Fear is usually based on unknown... The more we know, the more we practice... the less fear we should have... Respect? Absolutely vital... We should always respect the power of the ocean...

I must agree with others that I am more concerned with irrational beings (on the roads, alleys, movie theaters, or on the ocean) then with nature itself.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 15:27   #39
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Has anyone else received an earful about the dangers of sailing, from landlubbers who regularly drive at 80 mph just a few feet from other cars going the same speed on freeways, at least twice a day everyday of their entire working lives? I mean come on, what's really more dangerous and who is really taking risks!!

Actually, no. I'm usually the one that points out that sailing is inherently dangerous. I want noobs on my boat to realize that it's more than sunsets and cocktails.

So is driving. Lots of things we do are inherently dangerous.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 16:12   #40

Boat: Looking for a Trawler

Are you folks crazy? Every year the number of boaters crowding into the anchorages increases. The next time a lubber tells you how dangerous it is, nod, smile and be thankful he and his ilk wont be crowding your part of paradise. And whatever you do, don't correct him. Or someone will start a thread about irresponsible cruisers telling the unwashed masses about our sacred lifestyle.
diadema111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 16:21   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Life - Get busy living or get busy dying...

It is painfully clear the majority of "first worlders" are participating in life from the comfort of their couches, preferring to view the world then to live in it.

Some studies show that for the first time in history the expected lifespan of today's generation will be lower than previous generations. Primary cause is heart disease and obesity.

Sailing is not any more dangerous than thousands of other activities. Their are types of sailing that are more risky but for 99.9% of sailors the cause of death will not be sailing related and I suspect it will not be from premature heart failure.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 16:54   #42

Most non sailing people I talk with are very interested in sailing. Yea they think I am crazy but they give me the look of want. They would love to have this type of life but are very scared to leave the sea of black and float on the sea of blue
stbatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 17:05   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
I have VERY selective hearing... Turns all that blather into "Blah Blah Bla, Bal Bla Bal Blah Blah Blab"
Sarafina, I like your style! :-)
stbatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 17:10   #44
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
sometimes I wonder why a lot of people on CF even have boats
errrrr, I've been on CF 5 years and no one told me I needed a boat
Old 07-08-2012, 17:16   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
errrrr, I've been on CF 5 years and no one told me I needed a boat
David you don't NEED a boat. Besides we have a whole secret classification just for you.

Tags
sailing, danger