Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2008, 17:45   #1

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Paid me to re anchor

One time we sailed into Nassau harbor around 6pm, and anchored more or less in front of Atlantis's marina. We set 2 anchors, and hit the sack.
Around 9pm we awoke to someone pounding on the hull, saying, captain, captain. I stuck my head out the forward hatch and a guy on a Pilot boat told me we had to move the boat, as they had a big boat coming in to anchor. Being a pilot boat is sort of official, I said ok.
Well this was when we were having motor problems, so I had to put the engine on the dink, and procede to raise 2 anchors and move the boat forward a few hundred yards or so. After moving her a bit, I asked my wife if we were far enough. She looked behind us and saw a red and green light of a huge ship, and told me not quite!
Anyhow the luxury yacht "Leander" a ship about 5,000 feet long! anchored in our spot.
The next day, one of their "dinks" about 26' with 2 big outboards, came ofer with a crew member in uniform, and said they were having anchor problems, and asked if we would mind moving. I said I would mind, and told him about the Pilot boat experience, and said I really didn't want to move my boat.
He asked how much the Pilot boat gave me. I said nothing. He said they would make it worth my time. I said what are we talking about here. He asked how many were aboard, and I said 4. He said they would buy us dinner ashore. I said ok and moved the boat. Later he came back and gave me a hundred dollars, and a bottle of their private lable champagne.
If we wern't on a bit of a schedule, I would have asked him what his next port of call was!!
I guess the Pilot boat guy kept the money they gave him to clear the area. Thats the Bahamas. Still love sailing there.
Here is Leander's web site, in case you have $490,000 + expenses to charter her for a week.
Luxury Yacht Charter: Yacht Leander
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:45   #2

Boat: Morgan OI 414
You should have held out, you could have got more money, don't you know how to negotiate? If the boat cost $490,000 to rent for a week, you should have told them you would move for $5000.00. LOL
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 00:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Accomodation for 12 and a crew of 23? WTF, over?

While she certainly is pretty, it's not my idea of a good time.

I'd take a beach hut and a hobie cat over that thing...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor