Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 22:34   #31

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroeurope View Post
Gord on this one I unfortunately must take you to task.

Whisky comes from Malt and must be aged a minimum of three years by law.
Rye comes from rye and is improperly referred to as a whiskey (don't ask me where that started)
Bourbon comes from corn and the the Liars known as marketing agents are responsible on that one being called whiskey
The list of Spirit liquors (those distilled from fermentation and unblended with other flavorings than their own kind) goes on and on.

I enjoy some very fine Whisky and Rye and can say the a peat moor is a good bit different than most the swamps I have been in both Michigan and Ontario. Though a few of the Bogs where similar.

Hope no offense is taken just on of my buttons.

Michael
I just had to say this..Michael you left out the most important drink made of corn.. it's called MOONSHINE and at present there is enough of it in Dawsonville to sink a ship all in preporation for the annual moonshine festival, you see you take a copper boiler and you attach a copper hose to it and put the hose in the bucket and then you build a fire under it and put in corn and sugar and more ingredients from the secret recipe let that simmer and collect in the bucket then you run it through again, don't worry it's all legal my grandparents still have a contract with the government for medical reasons.:c heers:
Old 18-07-2008, 02:49   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroeurope View Post
Gord on this one I unfortunately must take you to task.
Whisky comes from Malt and must be aged a minimum of three years by law.
Rye comes from rye and is improperly referred to as a whiskey (don't ask me where that started)...
Michael
All in fun ...
I hope I'm not pushing the wrong button.

I presume you’re presenting the American definitions, which may not be the world’s most authoritative source. The ATF can't even spell the word.

Note: While the common American spelling is "whiskey" (with an "e"), the B.A.T.F generally uses the spelling "whisky" (without an "e").

Notwithstanding, and FWIW:

Excerpted from:
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
Definitions ("Standards of Identity") for Distilled Spirits
Taken from Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 1, Part 5, Section 5.22
At: USA10

Whisky: "Whisky" is an alcoholic distillate from a fermented mash of grain produced at less than 190 deg. proof, in such manner that the distillate possesses the taste, aroma, and characteristics generally attributed to whisky, stored in oak containers (except that corn whisky need not be so stored), and bottled at not less than 80 deg. proof, and also includes mixtures of such distillates for which no specific standards of identity are prescribed.

(1) (i) "Bourbon whisky", "rye whisky", "wheat whisky", "malt whisky", or "rye malt whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160 deg. proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125 deg. proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

(ii) "Corn whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160 deg. proof from a fermented mash of not less than 80 percent corn grain, and if stored in oak containers stored at not more than 125 deg. proof in used or uncharred new oak containers and not subjected in any manner to treatment with charred wood; and also includes mixtures of such whisky.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 05:18   #33

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Threa ambushed

Seems the original thread has been ambushed by some AA members.Back to the original thread, to quote Forest Gump " S**t Happens " so on a yacht you have 3 options-
a) save in holding tank
b) pump it out
c) bucket and chuck it
The last option is probably best for guests
These are experiences and not opinions so watch out for verbal diaaoreha on all threads
Keep it in the family-Cheers
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 08:50   #34

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Technicly it wasn't ambushed because yes we were talking about toilets and we made a minor digress ontothe subject what goes into the toilet...... eventually