Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 07:58   #136

Message-in-a-Bottle - Launched / Found?

3 years ago my wife and I went camping in the Everglades and came across an interesting weathered bottle up on the beach. On closer inspection we noticed a note. The note was from 1985. At the time a young girl was sending out a message in a bottle for her school assignment.

Ironically the address is not readable and the phone number didn’t have and area code. It was fun thinking about where she would be in life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627052228.825508.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	242581
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 18:09   #137

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Message-in-a-Bottle - Launched / Found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
3 years ago my wife and I went camping in the Everglades and came across an interesting weathered bottle up on the beach. On closer inspection we noticed a note. The note was from 1985. At the time a young girl was sending out a message in a bottle for her school assignment.

Ironically the address is not readable and the phone number didn’t have and area code. It was fun thinking about where she would be in life.

Attachment 242581

The letter shapes is USA school. Hair color pretty much eliminate most people from the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America

The bottle cap seem to have writings on it.

It may just come from the west coast of Florida
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 00:59   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A miniboat built by fifth graders took to the seas on October 25, 2020, charging off into the Gulf Stream for its maiden voyage. That voyage would take 5.5-foot-long Rye Riptides over 8,000 miles from home -- all the way to the coast of Norway after 462 days at sea.

It began at Rye Junior High School, located about 50 miles east of Concord, through a not-for-profit program to spread ocean and environmental literacy called Educational Passage.

Going from New Hampshire to Smøla may seem like a lengthy journey for such a small boat, but Stymiest said it isn't their longest. That award goes to a vessel sent from Massachusetts that landed in Australia.

More about ➥ https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/us/st...rnd/index.html

“Educational Passage” ➥ https://educationalpassages.org/

“Rye Riptides” ~ Rye Junior High School ➥ https://educationalpassages.org/boats/rye-riptides/

The miniature boat built by junior high school students in Rye, N.H., sits on a dock, Oct. 9, 2020, in Woods Hole, Mass. The boat, containing photos, fall leaves, acorns and state quarters, was launched in the Gulf Stream in October 2020 by SSV Corwith Cramer and was eventually found by a Norwegian school student after it washed ashore in Norway on Feb. 1, 2022.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 02:15   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

35-year-old message from Canada washed up in Norway
As part of a class project, Jennifer Boudreau threw a message in a [plastic] bottle in the ocean, in 1988, when she was eight years old. She never expected it to be found, on the beach of a remote Norwegian island, 35 years later.
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2239745603734

Old 19-07-2023, 04:46   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On Tuesday, Australian authorities were investigating whether a cylindrical object, about the size of a small car, that washed up on a beach, late Sunday,, at Green Head, about 250 kilometres north of the city of Perth, is space junk, from a foreign rocket.

Based on the shape and the size, it may be an upper-stage engine, from an Indian* rocket.

Whoever launched the object into space would be responsible for its disposal.

* The Indian Space Research Organization launched its Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft into orbit, on 14 July 2023, at 2:35 pm IST, with plans to land on the lunar south pole next month [Aug 23].

Old 20-07-2023, 06:48   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I have personally seen other examples at the space museum in Huntsville Alabama. It is likely a storage tank, constructed of Kevlar, that survived reentry.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 06:56   #142

Boat: Islander 36

I have prepared and sent out maybe ten bottles -- all in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Some I tossed into the outgoing tide, but mostly I try to sail out the Gate a few miles. I have had three people contact me with found bottles, kind of unfortunately all local, pretty much all washed up on Pacificia's beaches...
smith8273 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 07:05   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8273 View Post
I have prepared and sent out maybe ten bottles -- all in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Some I tossed into the outgoing tide, but mostly I try to sail out the Gate a few miles. I have had three people contact me with found bottles, kind of unfortunately all local, pretty much all washed up on Pacificia's beaches...
Isn't that were all the debris from the Japanese Nuclear plant meltdown also washes up?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 10:33   #144

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm going to start putting messages in bottles. My messages will start out:

"We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty..."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 12:08   #145

Wow, I thought my story was going to top them all, but some of these have been VERY interesting. Anyway, here goes:

In 2017 my family and my younger son's eventual fiance' were on a bareboat charter in the BVI. After a snorkel on the Diamond Reef across from Marina Cay, we found a bottle with a message inside. Back on the sailboat, we opened and read the message, which included an email address. It was wishing the sender's daughter a happy birthday, with a lat/long of where it was dropped in the ocean, and an email address.

Once home, I sent an email to that address, and he responded:

Hello Bruce!

I was so glad to hear from you, I was sure that someone, one day, would find one of the bottles. It is amazing to see how technology makes the world smaller. Let me tell you that this was one of two bottles I throw that day, one to the south (the one you found) and one to the north.

That day, January 17th, I was sailing from Tenerife, Canary Islands, to St. Lucia in the Caribe. These day our satelital phone were not working fine, and I couldn't call my daughter Mora to say happy birthday, so I decided to wrote a note and send a "message in a bottle".

My location was literally in the middle of the ocean, about three thousand miles from Tórtola.....

I attach a map with our route, the bottles went into the sea by point 3, I also send you a link for the video of the moment (apologize for my "looks, but as I said, it was the middle of the ocean).

By the way we all live in Argentina, we sail many times in the BVI. The boat name is FORO, a Dufour 56. In case you live in Marina Key, the boat usually visits the point two or tree times between November and May, the owner is a good friend of mine and he knows about the story of the bottle. It will be great to meet you some day.

Please let me know if you ever have news about the bottle again. My family is thrilled with the story, and it is going to be a lifetime story.

Thank you so much for answering my message in the bottle.

I was sure this was BS, but then he sent Youtube videos of his voyage, as shown in this later email:

Bruce: the boat is a benetau 56, in YouTube you can find some videos "Tenerife ST Lucía". "Partida de Tenerife", "cruce del Atlántico velero Foro" "vida abordo", "llegada a Azores" Cross the Atlantic with the right boat and people is very fun!

I checked the videos out, and am convinced this is no prank. He seemed like a great guy, and I hope we meet him someday. BTW, the kids wrote a note and put it back in the bottle with the first one, and we tossed it overboard on the south side of Tortola a few days later. They were in their early twenties and we all got a kick out of the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message in a bottle w redact.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	278397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our message in the bottle.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	278398  

Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2023, 07:03   #146

Boat: Hanna Tahiti 30 ft

When I was a kid I put a note (just name/address and "write me if you find this") in a bottle, waded into the Atlantic at Long Beach Island, NJ and lobbed it as far as my skinny little arm could manage. I imagined gaining a pen pal from France or West Africa.
Before the summer was over, I got a letter from a lady I'd never met who lived basically at the end of the block I lived on (in my hometown in north NJ, nt LBI...turns out she was also vacationing there, a few miles down the beach)��
slowlysailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 12:13   #147

Sometimes, though usually in liquid form! :-D
Old 29-01-2024, 12:19   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
"Its a drop in a bucket" means it's ok?

If you're having a beer on in the cockpit do you just toss your empty over the side?

Littering is littering.
Sometimes, though usually in liquid form! :-D
nonav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 03:08   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wallet lost at sea 8 months ago found washed up on B.C. beach
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...each-1.7118368

Old 07-04-2024, 02:49   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Found in translation
How a chance meeting, at a B.C. barber shop, helped a couple track down the Japanese writers, of a letter in a bottle — 21 years after they found it.
https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/...in-a-bottle-bc