Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 03:34   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
... We are using a burn "gel" pad that is sold over the counter in drug stores. I'm trying not to wake up the wife, so I can't go rummaging around for the name brand. They are large pads. One side is a clear gel. They are very wet and soppy on the side that goes over the burn. They somehow re-hydrate the burned skin and keep scarring from happening. On minor burns (up to 2nd degree), if you keep using them you can actually have normal skin back within 24 hours or so - with not much evidence of ever even burning yourself in the first place...
Burn gels are a first aid product, to be used on of superficial first and second degree burns* - not for long term care ,and not for use on third degree burns and open wounds.
* ie: sunburns, and minor burns and injuries

There are three major suppliers of burn gel: Burnaid, Water Jel and Burnfree. There is also a product called Burnshield though it is not as readily available in the US.

BURNAID: The Burnaid gel formula is a high quality tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) in a water base gel.
They do NOT use Lidocaine or other narcotics in their gel products. This makes Burnaid safe for children of a very young age and pets as well.

WATER JEL: the Water Jel burn gel formula contains the standard grade of tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) and Lidocaine.
Because of the use of Lidocaine (topical local anesthetic) there is a risk of drug allergies or drug interactions. And it might not be suitable for very young children or those with drug sensitivities.

BURNFREE: The Burnfree gel formula consists of tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) in the water base gel.

Spenco 2nd Skin Moist Burn Pads are like a gel bandage that come in a variety of sizes. The gel pad is clear and contains just sterile water. This keeps the burn cool and creates a barrier against the burn and the outside environment.

Scar Zone makes a burn gel called, Scar Zone Burn Gel, which contains an antibiotic, a pain reliever and green tea extract.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04   #17
cruiser

Interesting post, Gord. Thanks. I'm surprised to find that tea tree oil has yet another use in these gel pads.

We use the stuff for all kinds of minor skin irritations, bug bites, etc... etc...

It's amazing to me that tea tree oil is relatively new in the States. We used inferior products made by chemical/drug companies for years with poor results when compared to tea tree.

PS: I have another remedy for those who have an ear infection or swimmer's ear. I'm not a doctor and this is at your own risk: I get ear infections a little more often than normal - especially when swimming/diving. One time, I had one that put me on the settee bench for hours just sitting there with watery eyes from the pain. Of course, our USA medical system was of no help. I couldn't get an appointment with a doctor in anything under 2 weeks to get a prescription. Going to the emergency room to get a prescription seemed kind of stupid.

So... I did a little research and figured out my own eat treatment that worked amazingly well.

I took vinegar, topical antibiotic creme and a hydrocortizone (sp?) creme and combined them. Vinegar ruins the pH in the ear so the bacteria can't grow well, hydrocortizone takes the swelling away (and the pain comes from the swelling) and the extra topical antibiotic helps slow the bacteria down as well.

2-3 ear fill ups with this concoction and any ear ache I ever had is gone in a few hours.

Personally, I rely more on "home medicine" now because first, we are not close by to medical facilities. Second, there aren't really any good options for those in the States that don't have an employee health plan. Scary, but that's the way it is in this country. Can't wait to leave! ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tea tree oil (not be confused with Chinese tea oil) is an essential oil obtained by steam distillation of the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a plant native to Australia.

Tea tree oil contains consituents called terpenoids, which have been found to have antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil's antimicrobial activity.

Occasionally, people may have allergic reactions to tea tree oil, ranging from mild contact dermatitis to severe blisters and rashes. Tea tree oil should not be taken internally, even in small quantities. It can cause impaired immune function, diarrhea, and potentially fatal central nervous system depression (excessive drowsiness, sleepiness, confusion, coma). It’s not recommended for use in the ears, because it may cause damage to the inner ear.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:13   #19

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Here ia a product, new to me until a few days ago, which has accelerated the healing process with my injury - this from their (official, I think) website - great product. . .
It comes, I believe, from New Zealand . . .

UMF Manuka Honey provides an optimum germ-free moist wound-healing environment which supports and facilitates the natural healing of varicose and skin ulcers, diabetic ulcers, pressure sores, wounds, burns, boils, cracked skin, cuts and grazes.
UMF Manuka Honey can assist wound healing because:
  1. It is antibacterial and rapidly clears infecting bacteria, including antibiotic-resistant strains.
  2. It can diffuse deeply into skin tissues, so that it can reach deep-seated infections.
  3. It does not require oxygen, so it can remain effective even when smothered by wound dressings or in wound cavities.
  4. It cleans wounds, has a debriding effect and the osmotic effect of honey lifts dirt out of the wound bed.
  5. Dressings do not stick to the surface of the wound allowing easy removal of dressings.
    The osmotic effect of the honey keeps the wound moist, clean and prevents the dressing sticking to the wound. Tissue damage and pain are reduced when dressings are changed as there is no tearing away of newly formed tissue. Healing is more rapid.
  6. It reduces scarring. The honey draws body fluids and nutrients to the wound area and so assists cell growth and prevents a scar forming as the wound is kept moist.
    Honey provides nutrients (vitamins, minerals and amino acids) to tissues
  7. It promotes more rapid healing because the honey stimulates tissue regeneration.
    * Angiogenesis is stimulated new blood vessel growth giving oxygen and nutrients to the tissues.
    * Fibroblast growth is stimulated by hydrogen peroxide.
    * Epithelial cell growth is stimulated these cells grow level with the skin so that no scab is formed and so no scarring and hypertrophication.
  8. Acidity of honey releases oxygen from haemoglobin new growing cells need oxygen. Honey stimulates the white blood cells.
  9. Hydrogen peroxide in honey has an insulin-like effect and promotes wound healing.
  10. Anti-inflammatory action of honey soothes and promotes healing, reduces pain and swelling
  11. Honey forms a protective barrier to prevent cross-infection of wounds.
  12. Honey removes malodour from wounds by killing the bacteria which produce ammonia
  13. Honey does not damage the surrounding tissue
  14. Honey minimizes the need for grafting
Old 08-07-2008, 06:46   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All Honey has Antibacterial properties.

Antibacterial activity in honey can be caused by:
1. Osmotic effect, whereby water is drawn away from the microorganisms reducing their ability to survive,
2. Acidity, honey is acidic, its pH being between 3.2 and 4.5, which inhibits growth in many pathogens,
3. Hydrogen Peroxide, which is produced enzymically in the honey by the bee, and
4. Phytochemical Factors, these non-peroxide antibacterial factors are believed to be the many complex phenols and organic acids often referred to as flavonoids. These latter complex chemicals that do not breakdown under heat or light provide Manuka honey with its 'unique' antibacterial properties.

Honeydew honey, from the conifer forests of the mountainous regions of central Europe has been found to have particularly high antibacterial activity, likewise honey from Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) in New Zealand has been found to have a high non-peroxide activity.
Studies on the effectiveness against wound-infecting species of bacteria show that Manuka honey is more effective than other honeys for Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus, while other honey was superior for the other 5 tested species, including Salmonella, Streptococcus, and Pseudomonas
There was little difference between the two types of antibacterial activity in their effectiveness, although some bacteria were more sensitive to the action of one type of honey than the other.

The Manuka pollen is collected by honey-bees from the Manuka tree (Leptospermum scoparium), a unique New Zealand plant known originally for its medicinal properties by the Native Maoris. The manuka bush comes from the same family as the Australian Tea Tree. The beekeepers collect the Manuka honey from the hives in a very short period of time, as the Manuka flower only grows up to 6 weeks.

The name UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) is the trademark of the Active Manuka Honey Industry (representing the New Zealand beekeeping industry).

Excerpted from an article by Dr. Peter Molan, of the Honey Research Unit, University of Waikato, NZ :
“... None of the results being obtained clinically should be considered evidence that active manuka honey is more effective than other honey - a comparative clinical trial will be needed to establish that...”

Old 10-07-2008, 15:35   #21

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
you would not believe how many meds are avalaible at animal feed stores with no script. lots of antibiotics you will just need a needle and knowledge of how much to use. also there are lots of other med supplies that are very easy to get on line and are even legal to do so, like stiches, lidocain pathes etc.

legal disclaimer: this post is for informational purposes only and is not to be used for treating humans
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 17:21   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Having previously been burned from a genoa line ofshore 25 years ago, for burns we've ALWAYS kept "Foile" around. Without the anesthetic in it, I'd have been in REAL trouble. It takes a couple of minutes to "kick in", but it's wonderful stuff.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical