Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 11:48   #16

No, Take MY Advice

Wow. Rick, do what you want to do: dont' listen to (Pi**ing)Inthewind or to me or anyone else try to tell you that we know better, and that if you'd just do things the way we say, well, you'd be happier. (Yeah, we know you: as if you would!).

Hey, Inthewind, pass along those rum drinks, eh mate?
Old 05-08-2007, 16:25   #17
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthewind
Don't be too hard on your mechanic,
Well ya know I quite enjoy patronizing local businesses, IF they offer service at a reasonable rate (I don't mind paying a small premium). Now this guy has a BAD reputation and has just proved (to me) that he deserves it. I've done business with him before and it went fine. This time it's gone terribly wrong.

Quote:
he can't just pull parts out of his hat
Obviously neither can his supplier. I checked with two online suppliers that I've delt with in the past and could have had the parts overnited to a local UPS store. Which is what I still may have to do to get back on the water.

Quote:
Personally, in my opinion, outdrives suck.
Well probably yup. With proper maintenance we could have avoided this failure. There were signs but I didn't know how to interpret them. I knew the drive needed service but was anxious to get us on the water. I'll know better next time, although there probably won't be a next time.

Quote:
I am sorry to be so harsh but you don't want to deal with these kinds of problems again and you won't, if you sell your boat and buy one like I am talking about. Outdrives suck and I would never own a boat with an outdrive. Keep in mind that I have been drinking rum drinks,but I tell the truth, I HATE OUTDRIVES.
We're going to get there eventually.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/85029-post1.html

If all goes well we'll start next summer, maybe the spring after at the latest.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:44   #18

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Send Lori down there to explain that "slap the Captain silly" drills also apply to mechanics who don't perform..... and she has much practice ....

Old 06-08-2007, 15:43   #19

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23
Send Lori down there to explain that "slap the Captain silly" drills also apply to mechanics who don't perform..... and she has much practice ....

Oh the mechanic does not want to deal with me. I have had all the same frustrations as Rick, PLUS had to live with him over the past couple of weeks..... I am much worse to deal with when I'm ticked off than Rick is.....no cursing or swearing or calling of names...just very direct and blunt in expressing my opinions.

BTW Mark, how did you know I have been stepping up my "slap the captain silly" drills?

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 18:24   #20
Kai Nui

Could be worse.I have all the parts. Working as fast as I can. BUT, a good day to sail is a good day to work. So, weekend after weekend, I grind and saw and glue and wire and...
Oh, and as a former boat shop mechanic, I love outdrives. Can't tell how much easy money I made on those things. Only time they got there money's worth was when I had to pull a stuck lower bearing out. The desire to add explosives to my tool kit was almost more than I could resist
Old 06-08-2007, 20:12   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I know that I am bitter, twisted and kinda negative, but...

... how difficult would it have been to do the job yourself?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:08   #22
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
... how difficult would it have been to do the job yourself?
There isn't usually too much that I can't do when it comes to this boat but the outdrive is something I have no experience with. I've read/heard horror stories of DIY'ers damaging expensive equipment trying to service drives themselves and felt this was one area I had better leave to a pro. I watched him very closely and noted everything he did and the sequence he followed. This was the first opportunity in the 5 yrs we've owned the boat to actually see that done. I think that now I could do it myself if I had to and will probably have to put it back on myself (if I can get it back today).
Old 07-08-2007, 15:47   #23
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Unhappy Well the saga has come to an end.

The outdrive is in need of major work. I saw it in pieces today and the bearings are toast. Special order parts as he said. There's no way I could have fixed this myself. It'll cost well over a grand in total, so our season has ended. It's time to clean it up, finish the pin stripe, some spit and polish then put the "For Sale" sign on it.
Old 13-08-2007, 15:36   #24

Oy Rick... serious empathy here. <tongue goes into cheek> have you considered one of those other old-fashioned outdrives for your next boat? they have a long stick pointed up from the deck, and a ton of weight hanging off the bottom...

Wishing you the best of luck, and a bidding war between future owners of your vessel.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 15:55   #25
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine
Oy Rick... serious empathy here. <tongue goes into cheek> have you considered one of those other old-fashioned outdrives for your next boat? they have a long stick pointed up from the deck, and a ton of weight hanging off the bottom...

Wishing you the best of luck, and a bidding war between future owners of your vessel.
Heya Amgine! You're very funny!

No sorry, not a sailboater type of person. We'll try a small diesel trawler next. Definitely not a speedy boat but it will carry a steadying sail, does that count?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...date-8569.html

Well 3 weeks tomorrow and still no parts for the outdrive. I'm hoping for the long weekend in September now! *sigh*
Old 13-08-2007, 16:35   #26

::chuckling::

I know, but I figured I couldn't pass the opportunity... Actually we looked at a number of nice trawlers this last trip, a couple of which were attractive to me. The partner, however, was beginning to look at bigger sailboats and turning up the nose at "stinkpots". But then again, she doesn't volunteer to do the reefing.

::wanders off to look at boatplans-online::

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote