Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2012, 11:43   #46

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
all rope will guarantee a good and entertaining evening for the other anchorers in a cove as you start to speed away at wind speed from the safety of the anchorage into oblivion. this month there were 4 walkabouts due to rope rode. have a good sail --figger out where to stash your chain so you have it to anchor with. you WILL need it.
On a 27' boat, deep anchorages, and muddy bottoms? Not worth it on my view
Old 28-06-2012, 13:44   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Lesson Learned: When a Squall Comes Into an Anchorage

these walkabouts were anchored in 25 ft with sand and rocks and some lil bit of mud. thy used rope and chain and the rope rode chafed thru. there are some 25-29 ft boats anchored in same anchorage with 300 ft of chain on board. they generally use 120-150 ft here for anchoring--we have seas and wind sans protection. they value their boats and those boats do not walkabout. the only walkabouts we have had were chain with rope rode.
if 25 ft is deep anchorage, then i am confuzed.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 14:48   #48

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
these walkabouts were anchored in 25 ft with sand and rocks and some lil bit of mud. thy used rope and chain and the rope rode chafed thru. there are some 25-29 ft boats anchored in same anchorage with 300 ft of chain on board. they generally use 120-150 ft here for anchoring--we have seas and wind sans protection. they value their boats and those boats do not walkabout. the only walkabouts we have had were chain with rope rode.
Sorry, I mean around here the anchorages can be deep so that having 300' of rode is good. 300' of chain on a 27' boat will have a huge effect on trim and sailing ability, especially in light winds. With mud bottoms, there's seldom an issue with chafe, except at the bow roller, and we don't have any swell or even waves in our anchorages, usually.

I like all chain, and I especially like that your boat doesn't wander around so much in light to no wind (typical issue here), but on a 27' boat sailing in the PNW, I would choose to have about 30-60' of chain and the rest rope rode.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 18:01   #49

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
This is the first time I heard/read of that rule. I think it makes a lot of sense. I have an 80# Maxwell Supreme on my 40' Silerton. Before the Maxwell, I used an 88# Delta so I could sleep at night; I didn't!

Foggy
Am I understanding this rule correctly, that I should have a 60-90lb Rocna on my Alberg 30?

Seems awfully big, not sure how I'd even lift the damn thing.
I have a CQR 35 and a Rocna 33 at the moment.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 18:25   #50

I dont know whose rule that is but it's BS. Most go about 1 size over the recommendation.... except in a Bruce 2 sizes.... a 35 is very common for a 30 foot boat.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 19:44   #51

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Isn't the dock in Ganges free for short stays? Then you can get the heck out of dodge and anchor in Glenthorne Passage overnight.

I've been reading this thread thinking,
"What's the matter with a sail over to Annette Inlet?"

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 20:34   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Did they have snubbers and chafe protection? Or did the chafe occur on the bottom, which would be strange if no coral around.
Old 13-08-2012, 20:42   #53

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

1. Don't listen to anchor manufacturer's recommendations. They are competing against each other and they need to sell. Sell, baby, sell! They are aiming at the daysail market (which is a bigger market than the caribbean cruising market which is bigger than the long range cruising market). They prefer to sell more smaller anchors than less bigger ones. Simple bottom line motivation.

2. Don't listen to other cruisers who will tell you, in good faith, about what works for them in their cruising grounds. Your cruising grounds and bottom conditions are probably quite different. Pay attention to that difference.

3. Don't pay attention to me, because I am full of **** as well.

4. Ok, but you can pay attention to the maths nerd / engineer - that's me! If you do the mathematics, it is obvious that the best system will be a good modern anchor with chain and then with rode. That is the best system to minimise your weight and maximise your holding ability. 1 + 2 = 3. You can't argue against maths, but I am not going to go into the detail here. Look around on the web or just accept it, even though I might very well be full of ****.

However, the real world is a little different to formula. So ignore the nerd and the maths! Some posters mention chafe and others think they are talking about the chain-rode connection chafe. No, they are talking about chafe of the rode around rocks or coral.

In areas with plenty of sand and mud, and no rocks or coral, the maths is fine. Use the maths, and a chain-rode. We used to have 25 m of chain and then 100 m of rode in the Caribbean. Worked fine in 99% of cases.

Now we are in the Pacific, so we throw the mathematics out the window and consider reality. We cannot have our rode wrapping around a coral bombie. So now we have 40 m of chain and then 100 m of rode. We should probably have a bit more chain, intuition and experience not maths tells me this, so we pay attention to what is going on, I dive on the chain/rode, observe, unravel it when necessary, etc.

In your cruising grounds, I would have a Manson/Rocna 2 or 3 times oversize, a length of appropriate chain equal to 4 - 6 times the maximum anchoring depth and then another 100 m of rode. Do the sums and see if it is actually more weight than you have now.

We are in a cat with a 0.9 m draft with the board ups, so we tend to go in close and get away from the crowd and then throw out a minimum of 7:1. That used to mean 2 m of depth and 14 m of chain. We can't do that now because of the bottom profile in the Pacific. In our previous steel mono, we would either run up on the beach with a stern anchor and a tree line or anchor behind the crowd with a minimum of 7:1. But that is just us. Don't pay attention to us or the crowd. By your own admission, your local cruisers are all anchoring with a scope of 3:1 in a crowded anchorage subject to squalls. Why would you listen to idiots like that?? Cruisers the world over are just like them - humans beings with their normal biases and beliefs and crazy theories.

Experiment! Don't listen to any of us on CF, work it out yourself through trial and error and common sense. Good luck!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:12   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

avb--with rocky bottom you do need chain--all chain--that walkabout boat has disappeared at present--did too many walkabouts and now is gone. was finally allowed to meet the beach.
when the bottom has rocks or coral or anything to chafe rope, must use chain rode. mexico has rocky shoreline. those who use rope on the ground lose rode and anchor. my chain has lost galvo on the bits that were on the ground. there are also rocks around which the rode wraps--cannot guarantee anywhere with rocky shores to maintain a rope rode successfully.
last night was typical of nights here in these waters--we had sudden gusts to 40 kts. always be ready for this kind of activity. it happens.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:07   #55

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I had a Big Bruce anchor that came with the boat, Very heavy one,
I used all chain with it,
I was in crystal clear water most of the time I was parked and I could see the Bruce on the bottom clearly.
I backed up hard and set it properly, The tide would change and the Bruce would roll over on its side and then was useless as it would not set again,
It would slide along the bottom and not reset. I might as well not even had it on the end of the chain,
It wont be going back on my boat,
5 to 10 feet of water, and at least 50 feet of chain, Plenty of room, 100 feet of chain goes out,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:38   #56

And I don't like leaving my boat in good conditions, much less in a blow... And NOW I know why?? I would never had left her alone... Yes, your karma saved your boat despite your best efforts..haha

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:50   #57

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I was in crystal clear water most of the time I was parked and I could see the Bruce on the bottom clearly.
I backed up hard and set it properly, The tide would change and the Bruce would roll over on its side and then was useless as it would not set again,
It would slide along the bottom and not reset. I might as well not even had it on the end of the chain,
5 to 10 feet of water, and at least 50 feet of chain, Plenty of room, 100 feet of chain goes out,
We lived off and on at anchor for 2 years in the Florida Keys and Bahamas. I only ever once dragged my 60 lb Bruce on all chain and it was because I didn't let out enough scope during the 4th of July fireworks off the beach.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 01:20   #58

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Common sense (and mathematics) tell us that the best investment, weightwise, is a heavier anchor. So better to go with a lighter chain (albeit high tensile) and a heavy anchor.

On a 27 foot boat you are limited in the amount of weight you can carry up front. Go with maybe 75% chain and 25% rope. 8:1 is probably the maximum amount of rode, unless you are talking about tropical storms or the like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 08:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Yes, the Bruce has reset issues for sure. But many anchors do. CQR, Delta, Bruce, Danforth all dont reset well. The CQR maybe a little better than the rest... probably due to the knuckle in the shank. What the world needs is an anchor designed not to show max numbers in a sraight line pull, but that resets automatically. I would take that anchor even if it had less holding power. Hopefully some of the "new breed" can do that better.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 09:31   #60
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, the Bruce has reset issues for sure. But many anchors do. CQR, Delta, Bruce, Danforth all dont reset well. The CQR maybe a little better than the rest... probably due to the knuckle in the shank. What the world needs is an anchor designed not to show max numbers in a sraight line pull, but that resets automatically. I would take that anchor even if it had less holding power. Hopefully some of the "new breed" can do that better.

Wow. You've got me thinking here. I have a Bruce that dragged repeatedly during a recent squall. I dragged a total of ... 500 feet! I concluded that the anchor was too small for the boat. It was a very strong squall, but I need my anchor to hold through a squall.

So I did some research and basically came up with a "1 lb./foot" recommendation from several sailors I respect. One does salvage and has a 35 lb. I can buy.

But the thing is, the Bruce *did* reset. Repeatedly (I was on the boat as it dragged). It just didn't hold after it reset. It didn't hold the first time I set it once the storm hit, although it seemed like a good setting at the time I anchored. I moved the boat backward after dropping the hook by running the engine slowly in reverse, three times, several minutes apart. It seemed solid until that squall.

That was quite a squall. There were no sails up, and yet my boat spun around the anchor -- twice. It was like being in Dorothy's house in the tornado. The chain is in two sections -- a 20' section, a swivel, and then a 10' section. The anchor actually didn't drag at that point.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor