Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2017, 11:54   #16

Re: Leaving Dock in a Breeze - How to Attract Attention

I thought this was a clever way of having a longer spring

Old 24-10-2017, 12:11   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This guy has some interesting views of leaving and docking single handed.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 12:40   #18

Like Dick stated above, the landing, docking, should reflect the skills of the Captain and not the weight of the boat. There are too many things that can be crushed in a landing from the dock itself to many body parts regardless of the wind.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 15:45   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I sail solo my semi full keel Albin Vega. Last Saturday I got turned sideways by the wind in the narrow fairway as I launched the boat. The wind was 10kts off the bow as I backed out. I headed the boat in the proper direction as I pushed off from the bow, but by the time I got to the tiller it was too late. The boat is 27 ft and the fairway is about 30 ft wide with all the other boats extending past the finger births. All I could do was drift down the fairway using fwd and reverse to stay centered till I got to another empty space and back in and try again. The Albin Vega's prop is behind the rudder so bursts of reverse power is useless to "power around". It also means that you need headway to have any steering forward. Not much you can do in 3 feet of clearance. I am seriously thinking of installing an outboard bracket and using the dinghy motor to steer in and out of the tight birth as well as hanging a trolling motor off the bow for a bow thruster. Spring lines are great in calm conditions if single handing but with the wind kicking up things happen quickly and would find myself T-boned to the neighbors boat before I had a chance get the boat under control. Like I said, headway required for rudder control and a crew member would be great if I had one.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 16:19   #20

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Two words. ......
Bow Thruster.
Particularly valuable on my Nonsuch 30 with the mast and accompanying windage at the bow.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 19:49   #21
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Good stories. On the Greek Island of Amorgos with a 30 knot side wind I came about 3" away from catching my neighbors chain with my rudder. I could hear the chain slide over the tip, it was that close. If we would have caught it, I'd guess that it would have made the whole harbor gather around as we all started to get tangled up.

Some friends of mine wanted to use Palarran while I went home so I hired a local Greek captain for two months. We sailed together for 3 or 4 days before I left so he understood the mechanical aspects of the boat. One thing I learned from him, and it was so obvious after watching him, is that nothing - zero - is left to chance. He is absolutely positive how a docking or med moor maneuver is going to work out. I usually hope it's going to work - he was certain. Man would he take his time, like 15 to 20 minutes, just figuring out exactly where he would place the anchor and how far out.
Old 25-10-2017, 01:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Think of "losing the bow" as a maneuver, a goal, rather than a casualty. Do what it takes to lose the bow in a favorable direction, and the vessel will be of a like mind to yours. Use the FORCE, Luke! :-)
So true, I think too many try to simply apply more power and it usually makes things worse. (boats with bow thrusters in particular)

If you can see what the conditions want the boat to do, you can often let them do the work for you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 04:04   #23

Boat: Bristol 27

This thread is a good example of why a smaller boat with an outboard is a good choice......especially for a singlehander or possibly a 2 person boat where the crew isn't really into the sailing thing

You have so much more control with the two tiller system of the outboard and rudder together.

Most outboards mounted on the stern can turn through maybe 190 degrees. This really helps with docking in windy conditions or if space is limited
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 06:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick sargent View Post
I deeply respect professional skippers because they have to weigh many "ifs" in doing their jobs.
The difference between the professional and the amateur is theoretical study and experience. Most of us amateurs could not list the factors impacting the boat's movement or describe what they think the maneuver will look like. We just point and hope - sort of like I play pool. Sometimes I get lucky and a ball falls into a pocket, but mostly they just bounce around. The experience factor is also critical. If you'd dock your boat daily for a couple months in all conditions, you'd probably be pretty accurate. I only dock when I go out on cruises or weekends, so I only get a few dozen dockings annually, not the hundreds that a professional gets.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:14   #25

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
It's called "warping off" and it allows you to move the pivot points against which the engine works to favourable angles in situations when low or no speed makes the rudder useless. The videos made by Duncan Wells are very instructive. This is a favourite:
A great quote and so true "...not suffer from any delusions of adequacy."

The two greatest tools you have in these situations are time and your brain. Never underestimate a challenging situation and wade in unprepared and without a plan, because once it goes really pear shaped, it can be really bad (and expensive). Take your time, don't take anything (including your own skills and experience) for granted, and consider multiple approaches. Often the first one that comes to mind is not the best and a little more chin scratching will reveal a better option.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 01:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I've been inspired by a couple of recent posts in this category, so decided to add my confession and maybe provide food for thought for others who aren't yet perfect at docking or undocking (is that a word?)

In a small marina we were at the outermost slip with the stern to the entrance, so backing out with a slight turn to starboard should have done it with no problem. Except that there was a brisk breeze from starboard toward the rest of the marina.

I figured I could just get some way on and back upwind - the boat loves to do that - but ... it takes distance to get sufficient speed. Instead I was just pushed toward the rest of the boats in that row. Heads started popping up and several able bodies appeared on the docks and boats to push me off, which was just as well because I was at risk of getting seriously tangled.

Once I realized that there was no way the original approach would work, I fortunately had the good sense to switch to forward and just head back into the slip for another think. Plan "B" was to loop a dock line around a cleat and use it to hold the stern in while backing out - that gave the extra space and speed required to gain speed and turn as originally planned.

Then we headed to the nearby community dock for a pump-out. That one was dead easy: wide open and with the wind in a cooperative direction. But by that point the entire marina was on hand to assist, push me off when I was done, and minimize risk to their property.

Lessons learned:
- I consistently underestimate the effect of wind in conditions like this.
- When in trouble in tight quarters, going back where you came from is often an easy and effective option.
- Stopping and thinking (in my case out loud helps) for a few more minutes before acting can save trouble later.
- When you screw up there will be an audience.

The good news: the only damage done was to my ego.

R u doing this under sail or motor
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 03:57   #27

Boat: Mirage 35

In a marina with an on-shore wind ... that could be interesting under sail ... I choose motor.

Tags
dock