Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2022, 15:33   #106

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Jerry cans are unusable

I cant get the 3 minute jiggler time story out of my head.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:32   #107

I have a couple of Manual Fuel Transfer Pumps that can handle light oils, gasoline, kerosene, diesel. The newest one is over 20 years old and still works fine. Uses a siphon action without having to suck on the hose.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:33   #108

Crossed the Atlantic and Pacific many time and barely spilt a drop o diesel even in rough conditions. Used a 3/4 inch ID clear plastic hose. Insert the hose in the Jerry can and the other end into the tank fill. cover the Jerry can opening with a paper towel and blow into the can. The result you have created a syphon.
mtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:42   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Hola,

I have used these Sceptre plastic Jerry jugs for years, first in the military, then in the emergency response world, and now in my personal life as well. Awesome cans, easy to carry, large well designed cap with screw on fill spout and internal venting built into tank so no “glug-glug-glug” while dispensing. I use these fuel cans for both diesel and gas, they offer different color cans or different color lid straps to help identify container contents. They also make water containers if you so desire. I use them as well. No way I am ever going back to any other Jerry jugs.

Now the downside…….yes they are expensive. But a one time buy and you get what you pay for is very true in this case. Depending on your location in the world they can be hard to source. Not legally sold as “new” in the US as they are not CARB compliant, the type of can you fought with above. Easily found new in Canada, sometimes on EBay and other classified listing sites.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
These are the best ⬆️⬆️⬆️
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:42   #110

Boat: Island Packet 38 Cutter - Evergreen

Go the the building supply and purchase one of those cheap & easy to use self priming siphons. Can also purchase online.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:48   #111

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
FWIW - I agree, the EPA cans are so hard to use they likely cause more spillage not less.
What happens when you take something that's not broke, and try to fix it.

That said the new new cans with the green button work OK for me.

My deck fittings are flat, so I place can on side with nozzle just inside fill, and press.

In a seaway, I'm going to siphon.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:54   #112

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Spouts for Scepter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:55   #113

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Just but a replacement spigot without all the extras built in to it. They can still be found at los of stores.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:57   #114

Re:battery operated siphon.

They are available in hardware stores. Just set the can next to the fill. Put the intake into the tank put the outflow hose into the tank fill and turn on. Simple, no spill. You don't have to lift the can . No working with the foolish safety things that are less than safe because they are not easy.
Battery Powered Siphon Pump for Transferring Kerosene and Other Non-Flammable Liquids HOme depot.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:57   #115

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Shaker siphon! They are inexpensive and readily available at Amazon or auto part stores.

We also use a MR Funnel to filter diesel before it goes into the tank from Jerry cans.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:57   #116

We got around this issue quite nicely with an external pump.

This is what we use...

Ideaworks JB4840 Sierra Tools JB5684 Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Single, red, Blue, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00318D7K8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_JX5MGPAMDAC3WVHVRPSG?_encod ing=UTF8&psc=1
KristenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:04   #117

Boat: Watkins 36'

Rob H.

I have been adding diesel with 5 Gallon jugs for years. I like to mix my additives with the fuel before putting in the tank. There is a Siphon pump just for that at your local Hardware supply. It is used primarily for filling fuel heaters and the like. Less than $10. added picture not sure if it is on there or not. Home Depot and Lowes both carry them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A Siphon.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	253943
Rob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:05   #118

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41

I removed and tossed all the silly filler contraptions. Bought 14 screw-on caps with nice gaskets on Amazon. A rattle siphon and Bob’s yer Uncle. Problem solved.
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:06   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
I realize I'm mostly preaching to the choir on this one, but I'm feeling the need to rant a little bit.

Today I decided to put the 5 gallons of emergency diesel that I keep in a jerry can in the tank. I like to do so every few months so that the fuel in there is never worryingly old. What should have been a 5 minute task took about an hour, and left my clothes, my arms, my mouth, and my cockpit coated in a film of diesel and smelling something fierce.

Why was such a simple task such a complete and utter disaster you ask? Because the EPA in all their infinite wisdom mandated a safety valve in all jerry cans, because that should make it much harder to spill fuel.

My can has the type of valve where you have to push a plastic piece inward and down the neck of the spout in order to allow fuel to flow. It's always been a rather stiff spring on that mechanism, and difficult to deal with. But with age, the plastic and rubber assembly that seals the neck of the jug to the body gets slightly softer and weaker. So after wrangling the ~35 lb jug over my pushpit rails, inverting it, getting the spout into my fill port, and getting it all balanced, I went to operate the valve. As I pushed downward, instead of the valve opening, the seal at the base of the neck was bent out of place, and fuel began spilling out from the base of the neck. Oh no! I quickly pulled the jug back aboard and wiped up the area.

I was able to realign it all and try again, with the same result. The force needed to operate the valve was officially less than the force needed to make it fail.

So I thought to myself, I'm a reasonably intelligent human. I'll just siphon the fuel in and avoid using the valve all together. I found a suitable piece of tubing, got the siphon working without incident, and started the transfer. Unfortunately, that piece of tubing was both so narrow that it took about ten minutes to empty half the jug, and too short to reach the bottom of the jug and finish the job.

But I figured, now the whole thing weighs half as much, I bet I can get it to work properly. Without all that weight of the fuel resting on the little plastic mechanism, I can get it to open. But no, it was not to be.

So I dug out a better length of larger hose. This one was a bit longer than I needed and kind of a pain to deal with, but I got the siphon started. But then some air found its way into the tube and screwed it up. Well screw that says me, I can get this genius siphon solution working! I suck some more diesel through the tube, squat down to keep my mouth below the jug, and get a nice mouthful of diesel. But at least the siphon is working again.

Until I got another air bubble in. It's just a lot to hold onto, with the jug inboard, the fill port outboard, a too-long hose, and only two hands, I can't keep everything nicely in place.

But by now the jug is down to about a gallon. So I go to plan D, and get a nice big funnel. I rest the funnel in the fill port, and pour the remaining gallon in without the neck on the jug at all. Easy peasy, but it wouldn't have worked at all while the jug was full. That, and I still don't have a free hand to keep the funnel in place, so it feels like a bit of a risky way to go.

Now I just have to rinse my mouth out, wash my arms, change my clothes, wash the deck, and take a shower. Easy 5 minute job!

Of course there's an easy solution. I'll just get a proper siphon setup with a little pump so I don't have to use my mouth, and an appropriately sized hose. But for crying out loud, I wouldn't have to go through any of this if I was just allowed to have a normal neck for my jerry can so I could gently pour it out!

The EPA has accomplished precisely the opposite of their intent with these safety valves. And this is a public forum, so officially no diesel went in the water, but in an alternate universe it very likely would have. Great system, big fan. Rant over.
Just buy a siphon!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:13   #120

Boat: Bayfield 29C Cutter

I use a shaker siphon.
Works great, very clean, and a lot easier than wrestling with jerry can spouts. Under $20. Just google shaker siphon.
and4ew is offline   Reply With Quote