Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2022, 12:45   #46

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Jerry cans are unusable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Ok, I've been busy since my last post and the regulations 49 CFR 173. The reason that you can't buy 6 gallon jerry cans anymore is that the regulations for portable fuel larger than 5 gallons are much more stringent than 5 gallons and below.

I've gotta do a little more research on this one. It looks like 49 CFR 173 would definitely apply if you were transporting gasoline commercially or in large enough quantity to need hazmat permits, licensing, etc. For gasoline that cutoff is 440 lbs (about 70 gallons) total, provided it's transported in containers of 8 gallons or less. I'm not sure that CFR applies to Joe Smith transporting a jerry can or 2 for personal use, however.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 12:52   #47

Interesting and new information on this thread. What surprised me, though, was the OP, because IIRC this BS with spouts has been going on since well before Chick Hawley retired from West Marine, when he publicized it well, and that's been a loooong time ago. Made me save all those oldie but goodies.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 12:54   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Interesting and new information on this thread. What surprised me, though, was the OP, because IIRC this BS with spouts has been going on since well before Chick Hawley retired from West Marine, when he publicized it well, and that's been a loooong time ago. Made me save all those oldie but goodies.

That's why it shocks me that so many manufacturers are still using horribly implemented spouts to meet the rules. It's not like the rules are brand new. They've had years to figure it out and just haven't.
Old 25-02-2022, 13:09   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That's why it shocks me that so many manufacturers are still using horribly implemented spouts to meet the rules. It's not like the rules are brand new. They've had years to figure it out and just haven't.

Of course, you're right. It would make sense, but... I guess they've invested in the "new" tooling ages ago when the new rules went into effect and don't plan to change 'cuz they'd have to go through the whole "approval" phase again.

Of course, logic says that making a product that doesn't work would negatively affect sales, but heck whadda I know?

My old usable "cans" (plastic) are still around and will be for a looong time, though. Once I heard about this nonsense I made sure to keep them.
Old 25-02-2022, 14:03   #50

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Since the flame arrestor makes it impossible to insert the gas station fume recovery nozzle fully into the gas can, and without it being fully inserted, the nozzle won't release any fuel, how much safer can you get?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 14:12   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Since the flame arrestor makes it impossible to insert the gas station fume recovery nozzle fully into the gas can, and without it being fully inserted, the nozzle won't release any fuel, how much safer can you get?

Good one, and your screen name agrees!!!
Old 25-02-2022, 14:23   #52

Boat: Morgan 382

I have some spouts that work really well, and others that don't. I broke off the lock so that I don't have to unlock it, but it still has the spring to stop fuel flow when the weight of the can isn't on it.

When shopping around for cans or replacement spouts, the good ones are hard to find. It seems the larger more complex contraptions are the worst.
Old 25-02-2022, 14:36   #53

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
...Of course, logic says that making a product that doesn't work would negatively affect sales, but heck whadda I know?....
I would think if someone could design a better spout, to paraphrase an old saying, the world would beat a path to their door. I thought that was what capitalism was all about.

But as you say, whadda I know?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 15:12   #54
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have not been using the 5-gallon cans lately. When I need to, I have a bunch of older ones and I just ignor the spout and use a shaker syphon, which I would do anyway. Sit it on the deck, and it drains untill it is done.

There are some excellent smaller cans on the market.

• The SureCan is so accurate, I've used it to fill lab test jars with solvent and fuel samples. I can normally hit a 1-liter pour within 5 ml, and adjust with a pippet after weighing. It's that good. I also use it to fill the tank on my sport boat.
  • The Scepter Smart Control cans are top notch.
And both are far lower in permeation than the old school cans every were, meaning less stink in the car.

Yes, the first generation sere kinda useless. I have some crap cans. But there are some excellent ones out there now. It's silly, uninformed, and unfair to paint them with all one brush.
Old 25-02-2022, 15:19   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jerry cans are unusable

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Much easier to just use a dedicated syphon:

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Fuel-T...dDbGljaz10cnVl

We have a 20yr old version of this one that has never given a problem. No batteries or any other complications.

PS: Yeah, the EPA valves are a joke and if it was cheap and easy to build one that functions well, they would quickly dominate the market.
I'm a delivery Skipper and if you think I'm gonna fly with a syphon in my baggage.. Dream on.
My method is for use on the fly.
Use it or not.. no skin off my nose.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 15:58   #56

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I've seen a number of these threads over the years, and I've never understood them.

I've bought four Scepter diesel cans from Home Depot over a few years for use on longer trips, and I've never had a problems with any of them.

I have a stern seat over near the diesel fill. I lay the can horizontally on the seat with the spout pointing into my baja filter. Push on the lever and the diesel goes in without a drop of spill.

Are people not screwing the fitting on properly? Or is it just a function of random crappy manufacturing where ever these jugs are made?

Now the old style -- those could drip. Good thing I learned how to use a siphon hose during my misspent youth. (A pro never gets diesel in his mouth ...)
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 16:41   #57

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Another option:

https://gasspouts.com/products/value...SABEgK2J_D_BwE
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 17:23   #58

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
I've seen a number of these threads over the years, and I've never understood them.

I've bought four Scepter diesel cans from Home Depot over a few years for use on longer trips, and I've never had a problems with any of them.

I have a stern seat over near the diesel fill. I lay the can horizontally on the seat with the spout pointing into my baja filter. Push on the lever and the diesel goes in without a drop of spill.

Are people not screwing the fitting on properly? Or is it just a function of random crappy manufacturing where ever these jugs are made?

Now the old style -- those could drip. Good thing I learned how to use a siphon hose during my misspent youth. (A pro never gets diesel in his mouth ...)
I have 5 different types of spouts, all on Scepter jugs. 2 types work very well. One type is completely unusable in basically any situation, spilling all over and not getting any fuel into any tank or other container. 1 type works but is a struggle and spills some. The last is bizarre looking and I haven't even attempted it-I just swap another spout to empty that jug.

Two of my jugs have flame arrestors. They prevent the use of a siphon hose, and prevent storing the spout upside down. Has anyone ever been injured or had an accident that would have been prevented with a flame arrestor? Some idiot dumping gasoline on a campfire? Or someone dropping a match or lit cigarette in a jug?
Old 25-02-2022, 17:37   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
And both are far lower in permeation than the old school cans every were, meaning less stink in the car.
Lower permeation cans that aren't vented when not dispensing are also better for storing gas in general. The more airtight the container, the longer gas will last.
Old 25-02-2022, 18:35   #60

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
There are some excellent smaller cans on the market.

The Scepter Smart Control cans are top notch.
I have a Scepter Smart Control can.

The nozzle could not be inserted into the gasoline fill of any of my three cars in an orientation that would empty the can into the tank. So, off to the boat it went. I did use it to fill my 2.5 hp Tohatsu outboard last year on a ten week trip in the Chesapeake Bay. When I tried it in January as we were preparing to head south from North Carolina, I tipped it on its side and gasoline poured from the joint between the nozzle assembly and the can body soaking me, the outboard, the boat, and a place that is illegal. Long story short... My can was an early one with a white o-ring. The white o-ring had swollen, softened, and deformed in gasoline. Scepter has now (for free) mailed a new (hopefully gasoline resistant) black o-ring to my PO box in Tennessee where I will get it on my return in June. Until then, I will use a black o-ring I bought at Lowes which seems to match the o-rings in the Sceptor Smart Control cans that were on sale there. I find it hard to give the can even one star. It lacks what my business law courses called "merchantability and fitness for use".
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote