Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 06:33   #16

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Re: Is Being A Dock Queen So Bad?

This a a joke, right. Just want to see what we'll respond.
Hell, your warranty doesn't run out for a nother 10 years

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 06:57   #17

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

If your pleasure is in sitting in the cockpit drinking a soda pop, I say get a better vehicle for same -- a power boat with a decent/large bimini to protect you from inclement weather. There is much to be said for the socialization that takes part in marinas and if you'd rather enjoy your boat for that aspect, I see no problem.

Perhaps as your needs change (hoisting sails has lost its allure?) a more relaxed, less-to-maintain platform would better suit you? Sure there are the kids (some older, some not) who can out-perform you, but does this really have to be a contest? Isn't it about having fun and enjoying life?

I say there's nothing wrong with boating as you see fit and enjoy. Now if you happen to have a runabout and felt like bringing a bag of ice out to my boat, we should talk!

Happy boating... and don't let anyone (me included) boss you about your choices.

Edit to add one more thing: I noted the weather as triple digits. I'd say your sanity was intact and sitting in an air-conditioned anything beats most any other choice you might make.

When it cools off though, the above advice holds...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:01   #18

Boat: 29'

GaryMayo,
108 degrees? it's too hot there.
I'd be a sticky stain on the dock at that temperature... go somewhere cooler.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 07:17   #19

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

I bought my first sailboat at age 62. It's a 32-footer, just like yours. I've been coastal cruising aboard her for many hundreds of miles every season that I've owned her. I'm 65 now and already planning my longest cruise for next season. In the meantime, I've been day sailing and taking shorter cruises every season, all season long.

My advice: Get off ur butt, Doood! Or sell the boat to someone who will enjoy it more.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:05   #20

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I'm 67 and still sailing the oceans....If all you want to do is sit in the cockpit and drink a soda, sell the boat. If you let the motorcycles sit, sell them too, then YOU can sit. Get off your duff, or call it a day
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:50   #21

The more I'm on the boat, the younger I get (reverse age)!
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:23   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

There is nothing wrong with doing whatever you want with your boat. It's your boat, not theirs. It's pointless to live up to someone else's standards, unless they are paying you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:40   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee Im 74 and Connies 60. and we just made an offer on our hope to be next boat a 53 ft Ketch, with only one furling sail LOL But ya know if sitting in the cockpit with a soda makes ya happy more power to ya !! I would get some air conditioning if I was you and then everybody would want to vist ya !! Just a thought
Old 20-07-2012, 09:41   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There is nothing wrong with doing whatever you want with your boat. It's your boat, not theirs. It's pointless to live up to someone else's standards, unless they are paying you.
Damn straight.

Maybe it was just a troll. But many folks here are old enough to see friends slow down and even give up, when this is the time when we have the time, money, and expereince to adventure. They just want to help.

It took me a long time to build the skill set I have, and I'm going to use it.
Old 20-07-2012, 09:44   #25

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M

All I had hoped to convey in my post was my desire to be extremely physically active well past 55. Nothing wrong with sitting on the boat at the dock if that's your thing. Thats just what we're heading off to do this weekend (and take care of a slew of deferred maintenance .
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:47   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

I'm 66, Sock Monkey and I (yes I have a Sock Monkey and he's getting quite famous now)...have just finished a two year motorcycle trip twice around the United States (four corners and criss-crossing in the middle) saw all the National Parks, Monuments, a lot of state parks, did some fishing, took in as many BBQ compitions and bluegrass festivals as I could manage. I'm not pain free I also have pretty severe sciatica so I have trouble walking for lengths of time so I depend on wheels or waves... but I'm worried sick that I don't have enough lifetimes left to do everything I want to do.

Just sold my bike, (BTW it's a 2300cc Triumph Rocket Three about twice the size engine-wise of my Harley)...anyway I bought a nice little Catalina 30' (cause in my brain I imagine I can sail her). I sailed her down to Ensenada and headed to Southern Mexico wanting to get down to either Ecuador or through the canal to San Blas Islands Panama....we'll after hurricane season of course

My granddaughter says "Grandpa you don't have a bucket list...you got a bucket book!"

Life is a mystery to be lived....Not a problem to be solved
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:05   #27

Boat: Catalina 30

I forgot one important thing to the above post...these things I do are my choice, I can just as easily tie up right her in Ensenada an make a life of it...I think it's all a matter of honoring your own self and your personal choices. If I may be permitted today...Jessica Ghawi who was a victim of the shootings in Colorado last night summed it up nicely when she was in Toronto and narrowly escaped being killed up there by a gunman in the mall...

""I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders' faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.

I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given."
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:54   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

At 55 I would walk 10 miles in 10ft. of snow to my boat...chip the ice from the waterline with an axe just to go sailing. Then I would shower in that water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:05   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Just back from a visit to marina queen folks. I say their food and drink is just as good as ours and we all go to a toilet at times.

55?

Well, I have some friends who sailed round the world being 80+.

I think nothing wrong with being 25, 55 or 95 and tied to the dock. Nothing wrong with going sailing young/late either.

It takes all kinds.

Hugs,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:29   #30
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I can't just sit at the dock (the mooring really). I go crazy and want to be moving and the thought of the 10 minutes that are going to be taken up by putting the sails up and later taking then down don't stop me from going out. (the marina says my wife and I sail more than anyone else there)

But once out under sail it doesn't bother me to just pick an easy course that will also be easy to come back on, and then sit in the cockpit and read or just do nothing.

Guess if it was OK with me to just be a "Dock Queen" I would get a different boat ............ like a house boat, and save some $$$$.