Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 15:09   #106

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: I'm an idiot and lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Don,

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You need to get over the fact that some people bash your boat dude. People bash mine too but I brush it off. Different strokes for different folks. If everyone thought the same exact things were best this would be a boring world. Man up and get over it.
One of the benefits of having a boat like mine is that no one bashes it because no one (very very few) have ever heard of it

Oddly, when i returned to the dock yesterday a young 16 -17 year old autistic kid came up to me and knew quite a bit about my boat. He'd been googling it since the last time i met him about a year ago.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 17:36   #107

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
One of the benefits of having a boat like mine is that no one bashes it because no one (very very few) have ever heard of it

Oddly, when i returned to the dock yesterday a young 16 -17 year old autistic kid came up to me and knew quite a bit about my boat. He'd been googling it since the last time i met him about a year ago.
My daughter has a mild form of Aspergers, which is a mild end of the autistic spectrum.
Once interested on a subject most people in the autism spectrum will zone right in and know everything there is to know about a given interest. He probably knows more about that boat then the people who made it.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 18:47   #108

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: I'm an Idiot and Lair

We have a lot more:

Drongo = one who is intellectually challenged.

Bludger = averse to work.

Galah = noisy and without a lick of good sense (it's a type of noisy parrot often seen hanging upside down from telephone wires making lots of noise)

Cockatoo = the lookout used when involved in nefarious deeds (another sort of parrot which makes loud noises when it observes predators)

Australian vernacular had a broad range of home grown expressions which tended to make it fairly colourful, sadly now falling out of use.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 19:05   #109

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
We have a lot more:

Drongo = one who is intellectually challenged.

Bludger = averse to work.

Galah = noisy and without a lick of good sense (it's a type of noisy parrot often seen hanging upside down from telephone wires making lots of noise)

Cockatoo = the lookout used when involved in nefarious deeds (another sort of parrot which makes loud noises when it observes predators)

Australian vernacular had a broad range of home grown expressions which tended to make it fairly colourful, sadly now falling out of use.
Maybe it's time to bring it back?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:49   #110

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
My daughter has a mild form of Aspergers, which is a mild end of the autistic spectrum.
Once interested on a subject most people in the autism spectrum will zone right in and know everything there is to know about a given interest. He probably knows more about that boat then the people who made it.
yes, this young fellow loves all boats. He has perked my interest in that he told me my PD28 number on the stern is not in the clubs registery. I asked him how he knows that and he said because he knows all the boats in the registery and mine isn't in it. So, ill have to chase that up with the club now as i wouldnt mind betting he's right.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 22:17   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post

......apparently those who've never owned one of that make know far more.
Makes it interesting, I've learned so much about things I had personally experienced, but apparently didn't. Was I actually there?

Cheers.
This applies in spades when it comes to multihulls!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote