Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 17:31   #61

Boat: Sceptre 41
You know what I really fear. Not taking the boat out on an open ended cruise. I just can't stand the idea of living out the rest of my days on land. I want to be at sea. I want to be buried at sea -- whether I am cremated and ashes scattered or I am lost at sea -- I fear finishing up life on land without having the chance to see the watery part of the world.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:31   #62

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
I have been trying to ignore this thread since I have 'fear' issues at times as of late...being 40 now and realizing my own mortality, but this (*&% thread just keeps popping up again and again on the 'portal' page...'Fear' 'Fear' 'Fear' Your kill'in me!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
That is the ticket, but like the OP said, for some of us number 1 consumes us to the extent that number 4 can be elusive at times.

My wife says I over-think everything. Probably do.

How to be "normal" or "like other people" is something I don't think I can change after 50 something years. Maybe some new fangled laser treatment.
Nah, don't go in for being normal. It's too limiting.

But when you are stuck on 1, remind yourself about 2 and 3, then head to 4.
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:34   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Personally I bellow out "Knights in White Satin..." or something by Springfield...
It works.... takes my mind of things and starts me thinking of other songs...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 17:42   #65

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
...being 40 now and realizing my own mortality,
Hard to believe I would have guessed mid to late 20's. 30 on theoutside.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 05:40   #66

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Whistle a Happy Tune Dammit!

I am cracking up. Wake up old, cold and cranky. Coffee. Read latest posting on Mark's circumcision. That'll put some fear in anyone! ...Huh? what's that? He did what? Ooooooh! Good thing I know how to run a line thru a word now! [What can't we learn on CF?] Way to go Mark. Less painful too, I'd guess, even with the parting fore ...er...

Geez, I really had that wrong.

Anyway, I'm all grumpy and stuff and here comes that silly old buga Boatman61 with Whistle a Happy Tune! I actually did laugh out loud. Thanks man. 'Course it's easier for Boatman to be pleasant, being a Brit, and 6 or 7 hours (and possibly several lightyears) ahead of me, standing out in the noonday sun.

These "fear" stories are troublesome, however. I can't be the only one to catch the irony of Therapy's handle I'd guess. And I'm not making fun or light of this. Someone learning about boats and things would normally have some rational fears. But to have them never diminish? I don't think I'd want to cope with the constant apprehension. Why would you want to? How could sailing be fun that way?

Busting across the Atlantic ocean leaves you no time to ponder all the potential problems; hell, you know something's always broken or breakin', but ghosting along on a Sunday afternoon and worrying about trouble? Not me. I'd be looking for something saner. Maybe motocross in Montana.

I guess I wonder why you folks continue to beat a dead horse so to speak. And I mean that in the most understanding way possible. There are so many great things to do on the planet. Do them instead.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 06:16   #67

pirate Geez Louise!

Quote:
I have been trying to ignore this thread since I have 'fear' issues at times as of late...being 40 now and realizing my own mortality, but this (*&% thread just keeps popping up again and again on the 'portal' page...'Fear' 'Fear' 'Fear' Your kill'in me!
Man o' man, woman. To quote Bob Newhart: "Stop it!"

Forty.

If wishes were horses ...
Old 23-12-2010, 06:39   #68

Ok, it is true, I was born fearing my own mortality. I just think Life is for the most part really fun, and am not sure of what is on the other side.

There is also that damn reoccurring dream I have of being trapped in relentless breaking waves and being washed up on the beach...but in the dream I do make it.

Kind of maddening to feel the most at home on the water, yet know it could kill me...

Thanks tgzzz and Bob Newhart for snapping me out of it!

I do like 40!
Old 23-12-2010, 06:43   #69

Ok, Boatman61 - LMAO - 'Fake it 'till I make it' King and I style...

Never been good at 'Faking it' or whistling...but will work on both, and seriously think that if I ever find myself white knuckling it in the middle of the Ocean I will only be able to laugh remembering your post!
Old 23-12-2010, 06:43   #70

40 looks good on you girl.
Old 23-12-2010, 06:45   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
40 looks good on you girl.
Thank You Sir! Happy Holidays to Ya!
Old 23-12-2010, 11:41   #72

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracias View Post
REAL fear is a gift and we're hardwired to experience it. It's when our senses -- even the ones we may not normally recognize -- say to our conscious minds: Hey, pay attention -- NOW!

Irrational fear -- where we make up some story and then torture ourselves with it over and over -- is entirely different.

And here is the very best solution -- quick, easy, no-cost -- that I personally have ever found for those irrational, nagging fears:

Enjoy!
Rebecca
Rebecca,

What a hoot! "Stop it!"
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 12:46   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Ok, it is true, I was born fearing my own mortality. I just think Life is for the most part really fun, and am not sure of what is on the other side.

Well... when you go somewhere for the first time you hope it'll be great fun don't ya..... Whats the difference

There is also that damn reoccurring dream I have of being trapped in relentless breaking waves and being washed up on the beach...but in the dream I do make it.

Ahhhh... thats the opposing forces (friends/family) in your life trying to stop you going and keep you 'On the Beach..'

Kind of maddening to feel the most at home on the water, yet know it could kill me...

So could lying in bed.... if the roof collapses...

Thanks tgzzz and Bob Newhart for snapping me out of it!

I do like 40!

Analysis courtesy of.....

Hoi n de Polloi's

PS; 40's good, 50's better and 60's is awesome....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:47   #74

Confession!

I have gained a reputation over my 73 years as "being very good in emergencies" this begs the question--do I subconsciously not do all I can so some emergencies might arise so I can use my powers????????????????????help me ! (LOL) "a living thing desires above all to vent its strength......"FN
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 09:08   #75
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
I have gained a reputation over my 73 years as "being very good in emergencies" this begs the question--do I subconsciously not do all I can so some emergencies might arise so I can use my powers????????????????????help me ! (LOL) "a living thing desires above all to vent its strength......"FN

No that's just called experience. The more "things" that you experience the better you can handle them. The past year we didn't have 1 single thing happen that borthered us; I've sure just as much happened on the boat it just didn't excit us anymore.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote