Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 22:42   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Ever give up Booze?

I was off the booze for about 8 weeks last year. Saved a few dollars as well. But, nope. I enjoy my beer to much to go without. So my once a week/fortnightly binge suits me just fine.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 23:07   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

My ex was an alcoholic. drank four bottles of spirit a week plus beer plus wine. Totally functioning in a high powered job.

We didnt last long. It was total drama. It was always my fault and i could not see life ahead with any joy..........

I drink a little wine, a little beer. Ive been known to abstain for long periods of time because its not a priority of mine. Sometimes I will get a beer and only drink a couple of swigs and then leave it because that is all I want.

I love good wine but only drink with friends because if I open the bottle I only want one glass and the rest will be wasted...

My mind does not make rules for other people. If they appear to have problems with behaviour whilst drinking, I move on and find new friends. Life is too short to spend time educating people who dont want to be re educated.

ce le vie.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 23:14   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I might just point out for anyone cruising our way, that in most places in Australia, possibly all places, there is a 0.05 limit on being in charge of or operating a vessel.

There is also a charge of operating or being in charge of a vessel whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs, in which case the 0.05 doesn't necessarily apply.

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 23:31   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

I've also seen too many people's lives and their families lives ruined by alcohol abuse so it is better to abstain than crash if you can't keep it under control.
Never drink anything while underway, and seen as though I still work (for now) I don't drink any booze during the week.
It's also a hell of a lot cheaper..........
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ever give up Booze?

Ahhah...!!
Ban Booze and Drugs.. they destroy lives...
No they don't.. its the weak ******** who need crutches all their lives who do that... but can't accept the responsibility..
"It was not my fault.. its Society..!!'
Bollocks..!!
Booze does not make ******** and bullies.. just makes em more visible by bringing out these normally hidden flaws..
A service to society..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:07   #21

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

I mainly drink on the weekends since I hate getting up and going to work after a night of drinking. There's nothing wrong with booze and weed.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:12   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahhah...!!
Ban Booze and Drugs.. they destroy lives...
No they don't.. its the weak ******** who need crutches all their lives who do that... but can't accept the responsibility..
"It was not my fault.. its Society..!!'
Bollocks..!!
Booze does not make ******** and bullies.. just makes em more visible by bringing out these normally hidden flaws..
A service to society..
I think it could be the "size 3 comic sans font" that brings out the hidden flaws...

I have total respect for anybody who has given up drinking... doubly so for those who have... and know they have a problem....

Our relationship is not affected one bit.... Unless of course you are even contemplating my conversion to the alcohol free lifestyle...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:16   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Funny this came up, I'm on my last day of antibiotics for Diverticulitis and one must abstain completely, they kept warning me, so I either look like a drunk, or drinking on these must be really bad. I do drink Beer, enjoy it too muck most likely.

I quit smoking 30 years ago, I never really thought I was addicted, but I remember vividly the middle of one night digging through the couch cushions etc. trying to dig up enough money for some cigarettes, and was quite an ass to the wife too. Made me realize I was addicted, and it was a Royal pain to quit too.

I come from an easily addicted family, my Mother died from smoking (emphysema) and my Brother drank himself to death, I believe he aspirated his own vomit, but there was no autopsy so we will never know exact cause.
Funny thing was, he coped forever, up to the last year or so, the last year he stayed home a lot, but until then he coped, was Mayor of our town, successful CPA etc. So up to a point, a Drunk can cope, somehow. I remember fishing with him years ago, he'd get drunk and I'd get up and take the boat out, leaving him below to sleep it off, but he'd get up and I think get a drink in him and be fine the rest of the day, not hung over near as I could tell.

My understanding is as alcoholism progresses, it doesn't take much to keep them drunk, the liver is pretty much dysfunctional and they don't metabolize alcohol?

I believe some have a predisposition to be an addict, and I'm one of those types, so I "watch" it. To be truthful, this upcoming Retirement has me a little worried, as why not drink every day then? But I figure so long as I have something to keep me busy I won't, so to some extent Cruising will be to me a way to not become a drunk, if that makes sense.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:24   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I think it could be the "size 3 comic sans font" that brings out the hidden flaws...
Hear, hear!

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:24   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

It used to be size two... but then after four years of this a new Mod complained he could not read my posts on his I-pad while sitting in the cockpit..
So I upped one size to try and make him Happy..
As for the Comic Sans..!!
Well.. that's just to let everyone know I am Not your conservative cruiser/sailor/yottie... or keypad dancer...
I like to put that little twist to most things I do..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:29   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hear, hear!

So...!!
I'm in touch with my feminine side...
Does this make you guys feel insecure somehow...??

Old 04-02-2016, 04:31   #27

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Watching a beautiful sunset from your cockpit without a good cigar and a scotch .......very tough choice.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:36   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're killin' me Phil !

Old 04-02-2016, 04:51   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so.
i used to drink socially. then i was diagnosed with the d word (diverticulosis) and ischemic colitis, both,. yaaay fun.
not
and so i eat what i want unless it gives me pain, and i drink what i want , unless it gives me pain.
the last drink i had was a coupla shots of kraken with milk back. two years ago, and barfed 2 hours later. seems old dying guts hate booze--is too caustic. ok.. so we live longer and be more of a hermit than before, but it works. wasnt invited to a lot of things before--am not now--- what is difference other than not having idjit friends falling down dronk on boat and leaving their messes behind? rodl.. so i found a way to clean house better-- no one here but me n gato.
i donot nor did i ever enjoy being in the company of dronks. nothing to talk about other than mumbles and pukes. oh yes and THEIR misadventures in which they were fine until they were dronk...always the same old *****..PAST HISTORY!!! nothing intelligent as they slosh their brains to death with poisons.. is not so fun to watch.
seems i passed these drunks back when i was 20 and didnt like the environment in which they played. err stumbled.
NO i do NOT miss it!!
and my question is--why do y'all drink so much?? out here it is gorgeous and no one to mess with yer head. why keep the head messed?
i donot see the attraction to fuzzbrain or the importance of same, when it comes to sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:57   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zee upped the ante... to size 4...

I think it should have gone size 3 Bold first.... NO???