Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 03:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I've never heard it called "beaching" (although that doesn't mean much). I've always heard it called "drying out", and English sailors do it all the time when they have boats with suitable keels. Some marina berths in the UK even dry out at low tide. They even make a special type of double keel -- called a "bilge keel" -- which allows your boat to settle comfortably on two legs.

They also have something called "scrubbing docks" where you can let your boat dry out and scrub the bottom.

It's a whole different world when you have such huge tidal ranges.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 05:01   #17

Boat: looking
I plan to design sheer legs for the next boat I build, unless I choose the twin(bilge) keel option My present boat - a Macgregor 26S- I bought for two reasons, I can fit it into a shipping container( on it's trailer) and I can raise the keel/rudder/engine & beach her.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 07:07   #18
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
long keeled boats

Boats with the lead ballast set forward of the deadwood are not good candidates for careening. Too much weight would be put on the legs, or if just laying her over she'll be very nose heavy- could be a "Maalox Moment" refloating her.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 15:44   #19
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I remember seeing an ad for the Performance Cruising Gemini cat with a photo where it was pulled up, i.e. beached, on a gravelly shore somewhere. Pacific Northwest I think.
Old 29-09-2009, 20:37   #20

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
I guess I made up the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've never heard it called "beaching" (although that doesn't mean much). I've always heard it called "drying out", and English sailors do it all the time when they have boats with suitable keels. Some marina berths in the UK even dry out at low tide. They even make a special type of double keel -- called a "bilge keel" -- which allows your boat to settle comfortably on two legs.

They also have something called "scrubbing docks" where you can let your boat dry out and scrub the bottom.

It's a whole different world when you have such huge tidal ranges.
My very first sailing experience was with Hobie's and the like, and we launched off of a sand beach, on a lake. So I guess that is why I called it that.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 23:38   #21

Boat: 36' Cascade
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848 Medium Web view.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	10223

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869 Medium Web view.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	10224

it's to easy to do rather than spend the 400.00 for lift and blocks, and 30.00 a day for the pad.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1872 Medium Web view.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	10225 I even had a friend come by to vist while waiting
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 04:25   #22
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetluvver View Post
My very first sailing experience was with Hobie's and the like, and we launched off of a sand beach, on a lake. So I guess that is why I called it that.
No, I have heard it called beaching and not just for sailors. I have heard of powered boat captains intentionally beaching, or sometimes called grounding, a boat to keep it from sinking. I think the difference between beaching a boat and running it aground must have two components:

Beaching is intentional. Running aground is an accident.

To beach a boat, you intentionally put it onto a shore,i.e. exposed land, whereas running aground does not have to be on a shore. You may not even see the dirt you run aground on. You can run aground in open water on a shallow reef ( happens a lot here), or anywhere that the water depth is less than your boat's draft.

Careening is a different step in the process, the next step for maintenance or repair. Careening is the controlled leaning of a boat over to allow access to the hull. First you beach, or ground, the boat. Then you careen it. Careen can also mean to swerve from side to side.

In other words, there is an element of 'leaning' in careening. There does not have to be an element of leaning in beaching or running aground.
Old 30-09-2009, 04:26   #23

Boat: Boatless
Great pics 'Ragdoll'

It is important for people to realise that she has to go over 'uphill' like your's did... if she went over 'downhill' she might flood before she floated on the incoming tide.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 07:12   #24

Boat: Allegro 33
Well said Moondancer./Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:19   #25

Boat: 36' Cascade
just run a line to shore fore and aft, then one from half way up the mast to a halyard winch and put enough pressure to make her lean and then wait for God to do the rest.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:07   #26

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
Lightbulb Ahah! why noone agreed with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
No, I have heard it called beaching and not just for sailors. I have heard of powered boat captains intentionally beaching, or sometimes called grounding, a boat to keep it from sinking. I think the difference between beaching a boat and running it aground must have two components:

Beaching is intentional. Running aground is an accident.
PRECISELY! Which is why I felt so insulted! I asked about a boat's keel suitability for INTENTIONALLY being "beached"). And I was told that it was ALWAYS to be avoided,"running aground".

Actually, I just realized that the others may have had professional reasons to refrain from commenting. They all worked for a brokerage! Better to keep their mouths shut, than take sides! They w ould disagree with one another, regarding sail trim, etc, but not with the three other sailors aboard, who may someday be in the market for a boat!
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:15   #27
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
I remember seeing an ad for the Performance Cruising Gemini cat with a photo where it was pulled up, i.e. beached, on a gravelly shore somewhere. Pacific Northwest I think.
Beaching? Heck I do this every now and then when out for a sail. It's gotten to the point that I removed and sold my dinghy davits as there is simply no point to it at all.

I always enjoy confounding the mono guys by beaching on the edge of a popular anchorage, climbing down my bow ladder and walking up the beach to plant an anchor in the sand for effect.

There is a technique involved as the further the bow is on dry land the tougher it is to get off. The downside of course is being careful of the ablative bottom paint. I will only do this on sand.

I also call this Beaching.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:05   #28
One of Those

You mean stuff like this?:

Old 30-09-2009, 15:10   #29

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I wouldn't mind having my boat set up for drying out. It would sure make life easier, and save the money. Espie is a full keel boat so it wouldn't be difficult. But Sabre Dance is a fin keel so I suspect that it would be a good idea to lay timber down on the bottom before letting her sit down. I'm going to email the designer for his opinion.

Sabre
65 days n a wake up.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 17:02   #30
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
You mean stuff like this?:
Exactly
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote