Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 16:19   #16

Boat: Sundance 23
I've just tried out the Sailflow app on my smart phone. Looks much better on a larger screen, and the information is frequently updated. They even send me Windalert emails once every few hours. Tonight I really get a chance to test its accuracy. Heading out on a night sail.
Old 17-11-2010, 16:17   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Given the increased instability of all weather systems due to the global warming, I think most weather people are at a loss to predict anything much beyond 6 hrs. None of their models fit the existing weather patterns, and what we are getting can change violently in a matter of minutes. I use Environment Canada text forecasts, but I figure they are only accurate about 60% of the time from what is observed on site.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 17:56   #18

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
www.weatherbug.com for me. I started using it on my Android phone and now I used it everyday.

It is pretty hard to predict the weather in the midwest region of the states, so if it is accurate 50% of the time it is a keeper...
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 10:54   #19

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
check out this site http://www.marineweatherbylee.com/ Lee claims if you learn how to read a 3 day loop of a 500 Mb analysis, you will be ahead of the game, and maybe even the weather ;0)
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 19:30   #20

you know there are times when you watch a weather report and it turns out to be COMPLETELY incorrect. this occasion usually occurs the day you plan on heading out. always always always check multiple forecasts
Wndfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 07:16   #21

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Another thought too. when you get hit by a gust and then it lulls look windward and watch for the next one.
My first thought. In fact the lull would have scared me into reefing in a lot more. A quick lull after a quick blast is a warning, not a relief.
Old 31-01-2011, 07:20   #22

Boat: Slipper 42
Here in the Caribbean, these fellows aren't ALWAYS wrong. TAFB Forecasts and Analyses

Steve.
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 07:42   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You have to keep in mind that the Weather Channel and the weather on the local news is for entertainment value only. Anyone that plans to do any serious boating should learn as much as they can about marine weather, download as much information as you can from several sources, and make your own forecasts. You will at worst be as accurate as the professionals, and at best be much more accurate. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 09:12   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
check out this site Lee Chesneau's Marine Weather Lee claims if you learn how to read a 3 day loop of a 500 Mb analysis, you will be ahead of the game, and maybe even the weather ;0)

Interesting that I click on the 3 day loop and where do I go? NOAA!

Where I go a lot. The site sure is hard to navigate for me though. I have to save to my favorites or I just can't find stuff again.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:44   #25

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I check several forecasts, and look at weather maps for a given area. If one sails in an area freqquently one also begins to recognize certain patterns. Around here if they predict 10 knots on the open lake we know to expect at least 5 knots more in the reaches with gusts higher. Of course we did not know this when first sailing here...but we learned quickly enough.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:37   #26

Boat: Downeaster 38
The Weather Channel is fine if you want to get a feel for things for the coming weekend or be entertained, but the marine forecast is what matters and from the text of that forecast in a previous post, it sounds like they got it right.

Frankly, you should be a little embarrassed by this post so far as the Wx Channel is concerned. But now, like you said, you have some more "experience", which is a polite way of saying you've made your mistakes and learned from it. We've all been there and done that and the process never seems to end.
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote