Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 21:54   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
The people of the world have only thought the world was round for a mere 500 years.
More like several thousand years really, The Greeks knew it was, most learned folk did too, M man Eratosthenes proved it and even calculated the diameter to a fairly close degree. Which was pretty cool.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 21:55   #92

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I think the earth is definitely flat and that the real question is what shape it is?...
Just for fun: Assuming earth is a flat disk, the angle of gravity would increase as closer you are to the edge. Meaning you would fear falling off the surface and not off the edge. If you climb over the edge you could stand up normally again.

Walking from the centre of the disk to the edge would feel like walking in a bowl with increasing steeper walls even it would be perfectly flat. All water would flow to the centre of the disk forming a semi-spherical huge water drop one could look up to.
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 21:59   #93

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
... M man Eratosthenes proved it and even calculated the diameter to a fairly close degree. Which was pretty cool.
And he did it with nothing but a stick (gnomon) in Alexandria and a fountain in Syene.

PS: And afterwards he put the stick in the middle of two boats and founded Fountaine Pajot
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 22:12   #94

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Now a more serious question is what type of cheese is the moon made of. Personally I'm hoping gouda. But it's open to discussion.
I think its a kind of edam myself

But then again maybe some sort of blue vein.. after have you ever heard people say "once in a blue moon"?
Old 23-04-2016, 23:45   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
I am disturbed that this forum should succumb to using doggy tales to deal with such an important matter. Consider this ...

According to Albert E. ...
Shouldn't that be Alfred E. ?

(Neuman)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 23:48   #96

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Gee oddly the big ball of fire in sky also effects tides. The moon does not fly over at all. The earth rotates once in 24 hours ...

Therefore a day is 24 hours, so if a day is 24 hours how long is a night?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 23:59   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Now a more serious question is what type of cheese is the moon made of. Personally I'm hoping gouda. But it's open to discussion.
Obviously Emmentaler. You can clearly see the round holes on the surface.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 05:23   #98

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Nope USQ 4 years in the making. I thought its a good idea to do something I wanted to do all my life and went back to University. I'm 53 now and 3 years more to go. What was I thinking ...

University of Southern Qatar?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 06:45   #99

Quote:
More like several thousand years really, The Greeks knew it was, most learned folk did too, M man Eratosthenes proved it and even calculated the diameter to a fairly close degree. Which was pretty cool.
I think learned folks and Greece only equaled about 3% of the total population 2 thousand years ago.

It seriously was still on debate in 1492. Either the king of Spain or the queen of Spain believed it was flat. I think the king. The queen was out to prove him wrong with Christopher Columbus.

Oddly enough that was around the time that globes started being made commercially...then ten years later they started teaching it in university. Without having gone much further than the America's..seems fishy.

And it could be Swiss cheese and square shaped. The Bible mentions the "face" of earth 29 times. And the four corners 4 or 5 times..

I'm just waiting for space travel. It seems like it will happen commercially in the next two decades or less. I'm saving up.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 06:48   #100

Re: Dont tell anyone,pbut I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Just for fun: Assuming earth is a flat disk, the angle of gravity would increase as closer you are to the edge. Meaning you would fear falling off the surface and not off the edge. If you climb over the edge you could stand up normally again.

Walking from the centre of the disk to the edge would feel like walking in a bowl with increasing steeper walls even it would be perfectly flat. All water would flow to the centre of the disk forming a semi-spherical huge water drop one could look up to.

If gravity were real, you could drop a needle next to a brick from the top of a building and as they fell, the bricks gravity would draw the needle in. But it never does.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 07:02   #101

Boat: O'Day 28

Never?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 07:32   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Dont tell anyone,pbut I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
If gravity were real, you could drop a needle next to a brick from the top of a building and as they fell, the bricks gravity would draw the needle in. But it never does.
Air currents are stronger then gravity by more then a bit. Place the brick and needle in way outer space Like 1/2 way between star systems (not orbit) and in time they would be drawn together. Might be 1000 to 10,000 years. Gravity is the weak force. But on planetary scales measurable.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 07:38   #103

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Why is that people who have no clue, expound on technical subjects as though they were experts. Please comment on things within your area of expertice. Some of these hurt my eyes!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 07:38   #104

Quote:
I think learned folks and Greece only equaled about 3% of the total population 2 thousand years ago.

It seriously was still on debate in 1492. Either the king of Spain or the queen of Spain believed it was flat. I think the king. The queen was out to prove him wrong with Christopher Columbus.

Oddly enough that was around the time that globes started being made commercially...then ten years later they started teaching it in university. Without having gone much further than the America's..seems fishy.

And it could be Swiss cheese and square shaped. The Bible mentions the "face" of earth 29 times. And the four corners 4 or 5 times..

I'm just waiting for space travel. It seems like it will happen commercially in the next two decades or less. I'm saving up.
Timothy Leary was a huge proponent of and provided many with personal space travel, so ya it's been around for years!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 07:49   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Why is that people who have no clue, expound on technical subjects as though they were experts. Please comment on things within your area of expertice. Some of these hurt my eyes!
So was this comment of yours made from your own expertise on what other people should and should not comment on? and I take it spelling is not one of your areas of expertiSe , so according to your own opinion here, you should no longer attempt to type anything because you can't spell?
And I'm curious, if it hurt your eyes to read it....why did you continue? masochist maybe?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote