Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 10:27   #61

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Thr only thing I really want to know is if it's flat, and were on the top side, what on the bottom side? just tree roots and worms trying not to fall out?
Good question! Nobody that fell off has ever come back to tell us.
Is this a new use for a selfie pole? / Len
Old 23-04-2016, 11:02   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
My wife doesn't want to cruise to Catalina, because half the time when we go to the beach, the island isn't there, and she doesn't want to get stuck when it's gone.
Of course, our mountains disappear at times, too.
I'm confused.
Now I'm confused.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 11:07   #63

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I think I may be confused... But I'm not sure anymore.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 11:19   #64

The days are longer and shorter because the center point of the sun's rotation above the earth's surface slides north and south. It's like a big grow lamp being moved over the different plants, giving them time to seed and mature before heading back to the other dormant plants, to give them the same treatment.

I can't believe no one has mentioned tides yet.

Tides make zero sense. The moons gravity pulls the water up? ********. Why does it happen twice in a day then when the moon only flys over once. Why doesn't rain fall towards the moon during high tide if the moon can pick up the entire ocean?

Tides are proof that something they told us is a lie. And the lies keep stacking up...

If you've ever seen a full moon in the day time, while the sun is still up, ask yourself this. Why isn't the moon full "every" time the sun is still up? It's clearly not the shadow of earth causing the lunar cycles. Lie lie lie...

I think a spherical earth disproves Christianity because it's calling God a liar. And they don't want us believing in a "higher" power do they...
Old 23-04-2016, 11:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I think I may be confused... But I'm not sure anymore.

S/V B'Shert
Honestly, that's the plan. To keep us confused and arguing with each other over impossible to prove notions while they get away with murder. Quite clever till you realize the game and can see it everywhere.
Old 23-04-2016, 11:39   #66

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Stu, I am always amazed at your mathematical abilities. That was fun.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 11:42   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Deep Blue Blues is right and Eratosthenes was wrong!

I can prove it. Just take a paper map of the world and wrap it around a spherical object (i.e. a ball) IT DOES NOT FIT!

If this is not compelling evidence that the earth is flat like the map, I don't know what is... (and I should know having achieved a MSc in Astronomy and working on my PhD in Astrophysics right now analysing the metallicity of host starts in exoplanetary systems.)
Would that PhD be from the evening classes at Univ of Phoenix ? Just teasing...so no hostilities please.
Old 23-04-2016, 11:53   #68

Deep Blue, some how you have reached the apex of knowledge in spite of yourself. You are now ready to disconnect from the Matrix. Which pill will you take? The red one or the blue one?
Old 23-04-2016, 11:57   #69

Never take pills. They're worse than TV when it comes to mental rot. Don't watch TV either. Commercials are cruel and unusual punishment.

It's funny but I think the world would be spherical if we were in a matrix.
Old 23-04-2016, 13:56   #70

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
The days are longer and shorter because the center point of the sun's rotation above the earth's surface slides north and south. It's like a big grow lamp being moved over the different plants, giving them time to seed and mature before heading back to the other dormant plants, to give them the same treatment.

I can't believe no one has mentioned tides yet.

Tides make zero sense. The moons gravity pulls the water up? ********. Why does it happen twice in a day then when the moon only flys over once. Why doesn't rain fall towards the moon during high tide if the moon can pick up the entire ocean?

Tides are proof that something they told us is a lie. And the lies keep stacking up...

If you've ever seen a full moon in the day time, while the sun is still up, ask yourself this. Why isn't the moon full "every" time the sun is still up? It's clearly not the shadow of earth causing the lunar cycles. Lie lie lie...

I think a spherical earth disproves Christianity because it's calling God a liar. And they don't want us believing in a "higher" power do they...
And I thought you were just being funny...obviously the 'they' in your (silly?, I'm still not sure you're serious) conspiracy theory(ies) is your own ignorance.

The 'lunar cycles' are not caused by the Earth's shadow; those are called eclipses, and can be either total (full), or partial. The phases of the moon are actually a proof of the oblate spheroidal shape of the Earth, and were apparently used for that purpose, via inference, by the natural scientists/philosophers in the Eastern Mediterranean 2500 years ago. Not content with that knowledge, one fellow (whose name escapes me, but you can look it up) actually measured the Earths' circumference (by calculation) and got within about 5 percent of the right number.

All the (spherical) bodies in the solar system exhibit phases, as you can prove to yourself with a good telescope. That is unless you think (like many of the early critics of the telescope and microscope) that the images are built into the instrument.

And of course another self-proof would be to, in a slightly darkened room, hold a ball in one hand, and move it slowly around a desk lamp. Wow! you can actually see the phases of light shining on a sphere recreated in your own living room. (This also illustrates the near-synchronicity of the Earths' and the Moons' rotation.)

Tides make perfect sense using gravitational theory, but one has to have at least a basic knowledge (and acceptance) of the theory in order to understand how tides are produced and why some areas have daily high/low (diurnal), or daily high/low/high/ low (semidiurnal). Tides are yet another proof of the spheroidal shape of the Earth, because, as any mariner knows, they can be followed completely and consistently around the globe. The standard explanation of how gravity causes tides is somewhat flawed, but even it is too long for me to relist here, especially since you have the same internet that I have and the standard explanation and the more theoretically correct (and harder to understand) versions are both readily available.

Days and nights vary in length conversely in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Simply put, your 'moving grow lamp' analogy is defeated by that statement alone. What you could have said is that the 'great invisible power' decreed that the 'big grow lamp' stays beneath the earths' surface longer in the winter than in the summer, but that wouldn't explain how the days on your flat earth were longer and shorter in different areas at the same time.

Interesting how some peoples' own lack of understanding often morphs into accusations of being lied to or the stupidity of the proposition being presented.

You'd come out better with the old fall back explanation, "Because (MY) God did it" .

Oh, and the best proof of the sphericity of the earth? Sunrises, sunsets and the austral and aurora borealises.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 15:21   #71

The universe is flat.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 15:51   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
The universe is flat.
Strange....so was my second wife, I wonder if there's a correlation there? She did have a great ass but I'm sure that was a moon thing.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 16:05   #73

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Total bullpoop! There are two tides because there is a death-star composed of dark matter on the opposite side of the earth from the moon. Sheesh!

Ever wondered what's on the outside of the universe?

And why did the Swedes invent the Volvo Penta, and what did we ever do to them to make them to hate us so?
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 16:09   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Thr only thing I really want to know is if it's flat, and were on the top side, what on the bottom side? just tree roots and worms trying not to fall out?
Elephants and a turtle.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 16:15   #75

My bank account used to be flat, but now it's round.
SeeLevel is offline   Reply With Quote