Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 15:33   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Didn't Last Long . . .

slap an outboard on the transom and bring it home?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 16:05   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
boat transport. Cost around $2000 not including lift on and off.
Bet it didn't include the haul out and dismasting, reassembly and dumping back in either

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 16:38   #18

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

My last two boats the engine went terminal within a couple of weeks. Thats just part of the learning curve. I rebuilt one replaced the other. A tow may be reasonable out of the harbor and possibly you could have a mate sail with you in case you need another tow along the way. That's how we got the last engineless victim to our destination. 60 mile tow, 22tons combined, 8 hp diesel. Sure beat rowing to anchor like we did the week before. Need is the mother of invention. It can be done, though We didn't depend on anyone else since we owned 2 boats at the time.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 17:54   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

slap an an outboard on.

cant believe you cannot truck that thing easily either
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:35   #20

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
slap an an outboard on.

cant believe you cannot truck that thing easily either
Have you ever ran an outboard on a sailboat in a seaway? My experiences back in the 70's and 80's were never pleasant. I don't believe it is good for boat or motor. Does your boat have sails and rigging? Maybe sailing's an option.
Old 22-05-2011, 18:37   #21

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

I also don't envy what's happening to you.

I don't know much about where you are so please forgive me if this seems crass but, isn't it a sailboat? Could you not just sail it where you want it?

Yes, it will take longer but think of what you would gain: not being dependent on a motor, learning how to use your sails and foresee problems instead of relying on a "maybe it'll start, maybe it won't" engine. Coming into port the way sailors have done it for centuries.

The whole problem with motors (OB or IB) is that they are constantly breaking down internally where you can't see it happening unless your endowed with X-Ray vision. You can see when a sail is starting to come apart and, if you can use a needle and thread, fix it. Not the same with a motor.

I'm not advocating that we should all heave our motors into the briny blue (some of us still have to be back to work on Monday), but don't let a messed up motor be your reason to get rid of the boat.

Just my $0.02 worth,... and you're getting what you paid for.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 20:35   #22

Boat: Triton 24

I had almost exactly the same problems with my Triton 24. It was moored in Ross Ck (on one of the bouys behind the museum, exactly as yours is in the pic). I wanted to sail it home to the Sunshine Coast, but weather, repairs, and mechanical issues conspired against me. Eventually I had to bite the bullet and put it on a truck. Cost around $2000 with Southern Cross transport. Should be cheaper to Rocky though. The costs of sailing it down, including fuel, provisioning, time would probably have been similar to trucking it, and there is the added difficulties of properly outfitting the boat when it's so far from home. Now I can refurbish it at my leisure and it only took 2 days to make the trip from T'ville to home.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 22:58   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I guess you have to balance the difficulty in selling remotely with the challenge of getting her home with the engine hooped. I'd be inclined to find an outboard with a long leg and have at her since selling it from a distance with no motor may be a challenge in and of itself.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 01:23   #24

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

That sucks Troppo. I'm about to buy a boat and it's stories like these that remind me to be extra selective and pay for a survey.

Every broker out there says 'she's ready to sail away'...
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 04:29   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Can you borrow an outboard? The OB is really only for insurance if becalmed or getting in/out of ports so it won't get a lot of use. I had to use my 2 HP dinghy motor a couple of times of a heavy displacement 28ft - it did work providing there was nil wind and the bottom was clean - I mention this to show that you could get by with a 5 HP if necessary!

The sail from Townsville to Rocky is not too difficult but the wind will be on the nose for the next few months so that might favour the truck option.

FWIW, I meet a couple of guys who sailed a Thunderbird (26ft) from Sydney to the Whitsundays and return without an engine or a dink - they anchored out and swam ashore when necessary. It was tough but they a great couple of months!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 05:30   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sounds like you need to stand back and realistically add up the pros and cons of the venture,and the financial and time impications.

going south at this time of year a good engine is essential,one that you can make use of the calms,going into 25 knot trades is not fun on any boat.

at the end of the day if you are going to make a loss of$ 2-3000 by selling it now,shipping it may be the cheaper option,and you still have a boat,that you can work on at your leisure,assuming you have a cheap place to keep it at home.

i have undertaken a simmilar project my self at the moment,although the boat was free,and only a 600km round trip,plus i have 3 other boats that i can borrow stuff off ,i can sympathise......

see under news and events forum "macwester26 and the hinaous crew"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 08:50   #27

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

It seems to me that you are in the same situation as I am. I currently own a Roberts Offshore 38 which turned out to be a bit of a mess, regardless of what the surveyor said. My choices are A) go buy another, and take a beating on selling the Roberts, or B) dig in and git'er done.

As mentioned in another thread,

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-61055.html

I spent last Saturday driving 700km round trip to look at a sweet little 32ft Mason, that was rigged for blue water. Only problem, it was built for a midget. The insides would have to be ripped out and redone to fit my size. Plus the cradle is about 250km from my club, so I'd be looking at shipping that home.

After due consideration and a bit of messing with a spread sheet, I've come to the conclusion that Plan A) would end up costing me a possible $15-20K loss on the sale of the Roberts, and an additional $3-5k plus the purchase price to get the Mason done. All things considered it would be cheaper in the long run to dig in and do what needs to be done to get the Roberts up to my level of fit and finish. So.....Time for some creative destruction as that pig of a Volvo comes out. All in one piece or in chunks, makes no difference to me.

In your case, ship it or bolt on an outboard.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 08:52   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
That sucks Troppo. I'm about to buy a boat and it's stories like these that remind me to be extra selective and pay for a survey.

Every broker out there says 'she's ready to sail away'...
FYI my 2 bad engines were not caught by the surveyors, of which I shelled out about $1200 for. This time I took a couple of full days looking things over myself and forsook the surveyor...so far so good.
Old 23-05-2011, 09:23   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Have you ever ran an outboard on a sailboat in a seaway? My experiences back in the 70's and 80's were never pleasant. I don't believe it is good for boat or motor. Does your boat have sails and rigging? Maybe sailing's an option.
Why so snarky a response? Everyone is sayin the same thing.

And YES i have run an OB in a seaway. I also have sailed in a seaway.

There are plenty of sailboats of this size who opt for OB's. Have no idea where you get the idea its bad for either??

Doesn't sound to me you really want a sailboat IMHO
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 16:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Why so snarky a response? Everyone is sayin the same thing.

And YES i have run an OB in a seaway. I also have sailed in a seaway.

There are plenty of sailboats of this size who opt for OB's. Have no idea where you get the idea its bad for either??Doesn't sound to me you really want a sailboat IMHO
My family situations outgrew that size many years ago, and I've almost always had sailboats since then. As far as I know, Annapolis Maryland is far from tradewinds as is Washington. Beating several hundred miles against them may not be the OP's idea of a learning sail, maybe it was your first experiences, it certainly wasn't mine. It was many years of daysailing before I experienced the Trades.