Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 20:49   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Day of Horrors- Traveling Overseas

For three weeks I've made reservations and plans to travel to the Philippines for the umpteen time to prepare for the boat arrival and family doings. I've never had a problem in 40 years.

I made reservations thru Expedia which required my passport number, but they never asked the expiration date, which was the middle of June this year (2014). Sooo, I thought no sweat. Assumption, the ultimate killer!

As I arrive to do the electronic ticket it took my wife's passport but not mine. I thought maybe because of technology changes in the past 10 years it just wouldn't scan. The wife's passport was only 6 YO.

I went to the check in counter and they tell me that I have to have, at least, 6 months left on the passport. I says "How in the hell was I supposed to know that?"

She tells me "If I had gone to the airline web site and searched I would have found the info"

I told her "I ordered the tickets thru Expedia and it said nothing about passport expiration dates."

But it didn't matter, I still got bumped from the flight even though my wife is Filipina and we have property in Cavite. So, I gave the wife all the pesos and the hotel reservations for the night of arrival and set her on her way as I made a mad dash for downtown to expedite a new passport, at $170.

As well, my cheap ticket was only credited towards the price of a new one at the full rate, plus a $300 rebooking fee. Which ended up costing me a the price of another whole ticket.

To add to the chaos, I wasn't dressed to take on an adventure in the very windy, just above freezing rain. I finally found parking downtown (another$13) about a half mile from the State Department to get a new passport. And I had to find a local place to do PP photos, another $16. Which gave me about an hour to get back and fill out the forms. If I had taken a shuttle I'd be up a creek. I'd be here another day.

All in all it cost me around $1100 for making an assumption. Plus, this scurvy $65 hotel next to the reserved & paid for Park & Fly lot. With wet socks and a chill. I just hope I don't get sick from all this BS. All this crap is a lot rougher on a 65 YO with sciatica then a sail in a stormy sea.

This modern age really sux. Technology isn't up to par with the times. You would think that web sites would make sure their customers get what it intended. I know I'll be sending Expedia a nasty gram let them know what it cost me for their lack of diligence.

One hellofaday! But tomorrow I fly out.
Old 18-02-2014, 21:07   #2

Re: Day of Horrors- Traveling Ordedverseas

Yes, I'll bet you have had better days but as my old Jewish friend always said...this to will pass.
It is well known amongst travelers that you won't be getting on a plane unless your passport has over 6 months to expiry but I agree it should be in bold on some of these sites.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 00:19   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Day of Horrors- Traveling Overseas

I sympathise....but the 6 month rule been in force for decades.

My own passport horror story was getting it so wet the photo fell out! Trying to find some prit stick glue at Bangkok airport was a challenge..........of course a lot easier to get away with on the way out to back home.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 00:29   #4

I've been traveling over seas since the 70s and this is the first I've heard of it. It really needs to be published, especially for the newcomers to travel.
Old 19-02-2014, 01:54   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

interesting -- when i come back from the usa to tunisia i will have 7 months left on my passport -- planned to renew once back here
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 03:38   #6

FYI: the only reason you were even able to expedite a PP renewal was because you had an airline ticket for travel within 15 days. I'm amazed you got it done in only one day.

Four yrs ago I was offered international employment. I accepted the offer and this involved renewing my PP because it would expire while overseas so I was being preemptive. Since it was a flying job I didn't need an airline ticket. But there was one other way to get an appointment with the State Dept to expedite the renewal. That was if my employer provided an itinerary of my travel arrangements. That was straight from the State Dept website and supported by telephone confirmation with the local office. They cancelled my appointment and refused to reschedule on the dubious grounds that they would not accept my employer's written itinerary on company letterhead because they said it could have been fake. I lost the $60 I paid to expedite and didn't receive the renewal until months later.

Prologue; my assumption was correct, I was not able to use my current PP because while it had less than one yr but more than 6 months before expiration it was disallowed if I were to remain outside the USA when it did expire. Nothing makes sense.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 03:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post

Prologue; my assumption was correct, I was not able to use my current PP because while it had less than one yr but more than 6 months before expiration it was disallowed if I were to remain outside the USA when it did expire. Nothing makes sense.
Yeah! It seems one needs to renew 1 year ahead of time. But I was under the impression one could get a renewal at any USA Embassy in any major country.
Old 19-02-2014, 04:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Del....

Sorry you had such hassles.... Wishing you a completely trouble free trip from this point forward!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 04:38   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

first I have heard of the 6 month thing, so I feel your pain and am going to check the expiration date on mine now
Old 19-02-2014, 05:15   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

Ahh the joys of booking online. I have done a lot of travel though asia and its quite well known with regular travelers. I book all my travel online with various websites and I havent seen it mentioned. Though its not uncommon to see that pop up when researching different countries and the requirements at the customs desks and various border crossings.

That ten minutes of research on customs and immigration at each country has saved me a lot of heartache over the years. Though my long story involves wanting to stay longer in cambodia and sending my passport off ( scary) to have the visa extended. Only to find out that the fine for overstaying can be paid on exit and its only $5 per day. Cheap and it doesn't affect you when you visit again.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:22   #11

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I don't understand if there is and expiration date on a passport that it becomes useless 6 months before the expiration date. Why not have two dates. One being the official expiration date and the other being the pre-expiration date? Stupid government rules.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:27   #12

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

On a related subject: A friend of mine was flying into Bali where the local Immigration officials refused her entry into the country because they said she didn't have enough room in her passport for additional stamps. She was able to persuade them that she did have enough room by slipping the agent a US$20.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:31   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I got my passport renewed in at the US embassy in Trinidad and it was painless and quick--all of the data and pictures went electronically to the US and the new passport arrived in about a week.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 05:35   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Rules be rules some of course can be regarded as " guidelines " arrrrgh
Old 19-02-2014, 05:38   #15

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

The 6 month limit applies in most countries and is to ensure that your passport doesn't expire while you are there.