Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 10:07   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Confession... haven't told the boss yet... I am quitting to go sailing

This economy is still rough and tumble. If you're lucky, you'll get fired before you have to quit!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:22   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

There is no way I would tell. If they decide to sell the company or close down or lay you off or fire you, they won't give you any notice.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:26   #18

Boat: PT-11

I gave 6 months notice. Longest 6 months of my life.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:34   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Same dilemma here, we'll be heading out in March. My wife and I are trying to determine the best time so we can continue to work through March yet give enough notice that no one is left hanging.
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 12:03   #20

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Wish I was a kid again and just have Mom write a note...

"Please excuse Jimmy from work for 5 years... he hasn't felt good and needs to be out on the ocean playing in his little sailboat."

The hardest part is NOT being able to talk to people about your plans... there some people that would LOVE to hear about it, but cant tell them.
riversandbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 12:41   #21

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

A director is charged with the legal responsibility of acting in the best interest of the company and in return has benefits and power far in excess of what an employee gets. In small businesses a director usually has a financial stake in the business. In medium to large businesses a stake in the business (shares) can be part of the renumeration so that the longer a director stays, the greater is his stake and therefore his / her real interest in the welfare of the business. When directorships are "given away", meaning that the director has no share in the busiiness or or is given no extra benefits or power to make real decisions, I usually call it a "scapegoat directorship". E.g. If they make you the HR director and employee gets killed, you go to gaol and not them.

So, if they have made you a real director, act in the best interests of the business. If you receive no benefits or power above what you had before, then see it for what it is.
Old 19-06-2012, 13:02   #22

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

after two decades in the same type of situations... I'd keep my mouth shut until late Oct and then say... "I'm thinking I need to take a leave of absence for a year or two" and see how they react.
Maybe you have a job when you return, maybe not... you won't really care either way by then.
Old 19-06-2012, 13:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversandbar View Post
Its difficult , as you said Blue, knowing they have instructed me with a certain level of respect, and yet I will not be giving them the years that they are hoping to get out of me.
If they no longer needed you you'd be gone in a skinny minute. Give them notice due for the position you are in and be on your way.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 14:39   #24

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Keep Donald Duck cap, smell herrings and swear in every occasion.. it makes it a lot easier when you are away.. for the boss
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 14:46   #25

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
As a CEO 4 over 10 years I no I would appreciate 45-60 notice from 1 of my executives. When I moved on I gave 90 days. It worked out very well, as a team we were able 2 groom another 2 step into my shoes w/o any major hiccups. In fact, I got a nice bonus when I left 4 handling things like I did. I encourage u 2 share ur plans with @ least ur immediate superior sooner rather than later.
Old 19-06-2012, 14:50   #26

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

If you can be flexible, then I would say give them notice a few weeks before you actually want to leave, but be prepared to stay as long as 6 or 8 weeks. If you give notice SOONER, you may find yourself with an unexpected, unwelcome, and unrecoverable shortfall.

If you agree to stay a little longer than expected, you will only get additional respect, income, and give your employer the benefit of getting to choose THEIR timetable, instead of being held hostage to yours.

I agree with the "leave of absence" request. Either that or say that you're off to start your own business, which has been a lifelong dream. Be prepared to answer those questions if you do that. I think the most important thing is to avoid the appearance that this was premeditated, and that suggests that you wait to give the news, and be flexible later.

An alternative is to fall on the sword now, offer to renounce your promotion saying that you realized you should not have accepted it knowing that you were planning to leave, and HOPE they don't quietly find an excuse to release you in 3 weeks.

I just don't like the second scenario.It will burn bridges. You will be asked for references. It will make you an enemy of your current boss. Maybe he'll get promoted, and then you'll be free to go!

All around, a sticky situation. You know your company. Quit while you are at a low point, when you are least critical, when there is the least demand for your immediate skills and knowledge, if you can. That will create a plus for your boss, who will then have the benefit of conducting a proper search for someone with finely tune background for the "next" project.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 15:47   #27

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36

Heh, completely depends on how you feel about your team. Would they afford you the same courtesy? There is no love lost in business in my experience. Maybe it's me, but unless there are very good extenuating circumstances, I'd keep mum and give a standard min 2 weeks notice. I doubt they would do the same if they had to cut the directors. Just sayin'. I have seen people give their life (20+ years) to the Company and get laid off like the rest. No one is irreplaceable.
sj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 16:35   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

At my work here the CEO and CFO made off with 23 Million (and got caught). To recoup, they needed to reduce work force. They offered voluntary lay-off with a severance and I took it. I finish the end of this month and go on EDD and work on my boat in the good weather.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 16:45   #29

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38

As you contemplate your departure remember that you are nothing more than a social security number and a lunch bag to your employer. It doesn't matter if you are the CEO or Rosie the Riveter.
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 16:50   #30
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

just tell them and if they show you the door you just get to start sooner

but leaving a company well and on good terms is important .............. you may wish to come back some day!

Tags
sailing