Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 21:20   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Client Fail

Argh frustrating day today.

The yard that I work for has a big-wig client that we are always trying to please. This winter she bought a very fancy 31' antique wooden racing boat for her son; a nice, young, if not, a tad privileged 13 year old lad with little or no sailing experience. She has requested that the yard provide him with crew/teacher to get him up to speed.

Today I was to assume that crew/teacher position, the idea being that he gain helm time while someone watches over him making sure he doesn't run into anything.

I got down to the boat early (mind you I have never sailed one of these boats) to try to get my bearings a bit before the client arrived and to make sure that there were reef points rigged because it was quite windy. I got everything semi-sorted and went to get the client at the dock in the skiff.

There I found one very mopey teen-aged boy, his mother (the client), and three slightly elderly and bewildered looking "yachty types" who resembled characters from a William F Buckley book. They had on shirts with alligators and "Nantucket Red" pants (you know the pants, they are pink).

The boy said he was tired and that he didn't want to sail today. The client asked if I could just take her friends for a spin around the bay. So now I am not the crew/instructor but rather single handing charter captain. I said sure and started to leave the dock asking if everyone had a bit of sailing experience? The one elderly guy who claimed he did fumbled while un-cleating the skiff from the working end out and fell into the bow.

About half way out to the boat all of my "bad idea!!!" alarms start going off in my head. I cannot single hand someone elses engineless 31 ft antique racing sloop on and off the mooring and around the busy harbor in 20 knots of wind with a bunch of geriatrics cluttering up the cockpit without ever having sailed this boat before. "Bad idea!!!" indeed. I tell the people and they seem fine.

When I got back to the yard the boss asked me why the client had called and said, "Next time send me someone who knows how to actually sail!"

FML

I have a friggin' captains license and someone who's never driven a boat is going to bad mouth me to my employer because I don't want to risk smashing up her expensive boat and making her friends miserable? Why lord, oh why?

The worst part is tomorrow I have to take this women out on charter for 6 hours in my power boat and try so suck up to her all day knowing that she thinks I don't know my bilge from buttocks.

It has been a long summer of needy and demanding people. It is really hard when you are just trying to do a good job and look out for everyone's best interest and people somehow mistake it as incompetence.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 21:36   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Client Fail

Sounds like you had a good day, lol, glad it was you..

Whatever you do, DON'T BUMP THE DOCK tomorrow, she might spill her cocktail or stumble a little bit.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 21:43   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander

Ouch!!

As is said "Some Days the Diamonds, Some Days the Coal"

Good thing the sun comes up tomorrow too - hang in there
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 21:55   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welcome to the world of charter skipper, Unbusted... some of it's magic, some of it's tragic but you make a buck anyway... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 23:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Tips?

I do hope you can manage the facial expression that says "Tip me or start swimming".
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40   #6

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Argh frustrating day today.

The yard that I work for has a big-wig client that we are always trying to please. This winter she bought a very fancy 31' antique wooden racing boat for her son; a nice, young, if not, a tad privileged 13 year old lad with little or no sailing experience. She has requested that the yard provide him with crew/teacher to get him up to speed.

Today I was to assume that crew/teacher position, the idea being that he gain helm time while someone watches over him making sure he doesn't run into anything.

I got down to the boat early (mind you I have never sailed one of these boats) to try to get my bearings a bit before the client arrived and to make sure that there were reef points rigged because it was quite windy. I got everything semi-sorted and went to get the client at the dock in the skiff.

There I found one very mopey teen-aged boy, his mother (the client), and three slightly elderly and bewildered looking "yachty types" who resembled characters from a William F Buckley book. They had on shirts with alligators and "Nantucket Red" pants (you know the pants, they are pink).

The boy said he was tired and that he didn't want to sail today. The client asked if I could just take her friends for a spin around the bay. So now I am not the crew/instructor but rather single handing charter captain. I said sure and started to leave the dock asking if everyone had a bit of sailing experience? The one elderly guy who claimed he did fumbled while un-cleating the skiff from the working end out and fell into the bow.

About half way out to the boat all of my "bad idea!!!" alarms start going off in my head. I cannot single hand someone elses engineless 31 ft antique racing sloop on and off the mooring and around the busy harbor in 20 knots of wind with a bunch of geriatrics cluttering up the cockpit without ever having sailed this boat before. "Bad idea!!!" indeed. I tell the people and they seem fine.

When I got back to the yard the boss asked me why the client had called and said, "Next time send me someone who knows how to actually sail!"

FML

I have a friggin' captains license and someone who's never driven a boat is going to bad mouth me to my employer because I don't want to risk smashing up her expensive boat and making her friends miserable? Why lord, oh why?

The worst part is tomorrow I have to take this women out on charter for 6 hours in my power boat and try so suck up to her all day knowing that she thinks I don't know my bilge from buttocks.

It has been a long summer of needy and demanding people. It is really hard when you are just trying to do a good job and look out for everyone's best interest and people somehow mistake it as incompetence.
No it's actually wisdom. When I've previously ignored that sinking feeling in my guts it has always ended badly. Thanks for the reminding me when to say NO!

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
No it's actually wisdom. When I've previously ignored that sinking feeling in my guts it has always ended badly. Thanks for the reminding me when to say NO!

Greg
+1 If this lady already thinks you are an incompetent fool, how much worse can the relationship get.
Many people think, having money makes them smart, which in itself, is pretty stupid.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04   #8
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
The worst part is tomorrow I have to take this women out on charter for 6 hours in my power boat .....
Aren't there mandatory Coast Guard rules for having "Abandon Ship" drills?
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
For me the hard part of stopping a plan is afterwards. I had crew for a run from cape may to block island. The crew needed to be in Jamestown the day after arrival at block. They were good crew inexperienced but good. Next day it was blowing pretty good maybe 30. Nothing I couldn't handle so I set up to go. For some reason I stopped it didn't feal right I was tired what ever. It probably would have been fine. Crew went back on the ferry and I went to sleep. Option 2 worked fine but I had committed to something and then refused to follow through. That kind of thinking is sometimes counter to today's work culture.I'll never know if I called that right. Still sailing the same boat today so it worked out
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59   #10

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Thanks guys I feel better already. I'll let you know how this ridiculousness turns out today. Today's charter destination requested by the client? "Somewhere".

Wow. It should be yet another interesting day on the high seas.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:18   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Take her to the commercial port for a tour of rust stained ships and wonderful smells...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30   #12

Like Charlie said, maybe find some swells and quarter them and she will toss her lunch all day.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53   #13

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Power Boat??? Nice. Take her out and scare the living s&*# out of her. Some figure eights at full throttle outta do it. Let the kid have a go at it in the Captains chair too. That'll be good.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59   #14

I HATE SNOBS
Old 08-08-2011, 19:38   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

AMB ain't my boat.....you just have to suck it up....if ya wanna get paid
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote