Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27   #31

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I cannot say they're ALL built that way; but it illustrates the tradition Haitian built boat.
Haitian sailboat.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:37   #32

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Osirissail:
If I have offended anyone by my remarks to ToeJones then I apologize. ToeJones and I have agreed to disagree.
Please realize that this post to this forum was a form of detox for the indicent, and I really take issue with people who only half-read a post and then launch into thier own agenda.
Most members of this forum haven't been exposed to the independent personnality of we longterm singlehandlers.
I guess the real question is how long must I be a member before I can post my own opinions, meaningful or off-the-wall, or tell a Mod. that he be wrong IMHO?
reguards, John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:11   #33
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As John has written, we have agreed to disagree. There are no hard feelings between us - there never were. I completely sympathize with John for the heartless ramming of his vessel, and had only tried to stimulate discussion on what might have triggered the other vessel's captain to react so violently.

Cruisers Forum is an ideal environment for such discussions, and John is certainly qualified to hold an opinion and entitled to express it. He is in the unfortunate position of being the only person on the scene that dark night (other than the perpetrator of the collision) with first-hand knowledge of the incident. That alone makes him the ideal person to speak out on what occurred.

Given the wealth of experience John accumulated in single-handed cruising, he is a valuable addition to this Forum. To the extent he is willing to share that experience with the members here, we can all benefit. Cruisers Forum can only be the better for John's contributions.

TaoJones

PS: Now if he'd just learn to spell my user name right . . .
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32   #34

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I guess the real question is how long must I be a member before I can post my own opinions, meaningful or off-the-wall, or tell a Mod. that he be wrong IMHO?
reguards, John
I think you're already there! You took the express route!

Real sorry to hear about you're boat, but living in the PNW offers unlimited adventures.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:10   #35

TaoJones,
Sorry - spelling was never my greatest talent, and hurrying to express a viewpoint imakes it all the harder.
thanks John
Old 08-08-2009, 11:22   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
TaoJones,
Sorry - spelling was never my greatest talent, and hurrying to express a viewpoint imakes it all the harder.
thanks John
No problem, John. I took some ribbing here in the back room when you christened me "ToeJones." Hud said, "I suppose "ToeJones" is better than "ToeJams."

TaoJones
Old 08-08-2009, 11:28   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Having worked enough on commercial boats, you NEVER shine your light inside someones wheel house. Its illegal and it really pisses people off. Its almost that same feeling as an invasion of privacy or someone breaking into something you own. I have had it done to me and my first thoughts are to shine my 5 million candlepower light back to "acknowledge" the other guys light. "I see you there, sorry about wrecking your night vision like you just did to me". But then, two wrongs do not make it right.

Light up your own boat instead.

My guess?...he really pissed the guy off and he wanted revenge. Of course this is not justified but that's how some people think.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:39   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
To all - To me the value of these forums is to learn and understand what is really happening out there in the cruising world. I disagree that the purpose of the posts about an incident are for the benefit of the poster. I consider the poster of such an event - an old salt / teacher - who is giving us the real life incident which can used as a teaching aid to see if we can think of different or better or worse solutions to try to avoid having such an incident happen to us. And if it does happen what are our options.
No greater gift can somebody give than his knowledge and experiences to help others live and learn. So I would suggest that any poster of his incidents/experiences is offering us a wondeful gift, not using us to unburden his angst. That gift should be followed by constructive discussions of how to cope, fail, or succeed should be encounter a similar circumstance.
If you just want to rant or unburden yourself there is always the neighborhood bar tender. But here on the "forum" we do just what the name implies - discuss things and try to learn from them. Such discussion may just save a person's or family's life in the future. So I commend and applaud any and all who are willing to share real life experiences so that those who follow may not fall off the edge of the ocean.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:59   #39

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
JohnA, I feel you're pain. I can't imagine how it must feel to have your vessel, your home, your lifestyle, and probably a good portion of your worldly goods wiped out in in a few minutes one dark night. I think it's clear that you are still grieving that loss, and imagine you will for some time to come. Your story is thought-provoking and, for me at least, has been another sobering reminder to be as self-reliant and untrusting of the good sense or good intentions of others encountered at sea.

ToeJones, as you dubbed him, has always been kind and often funny in his posts here as moderator in my few weeks of experience of reading hundreds of CF pages and I'm sure meant no disrespect. It must seem to you, though, that the classroom aesthetics are thin gruel for your cruel loss. Still, it is good to have you aboard, and instructive to hear your story.

Best of luck, and, who knows, in this economy, another way to get on the water might appear for a manageable sum, if you still have a jones (sorry, hee hee) for the sea. All the best, Jon
Old 08-08-2009, 15:55   #40

Say folks, let's lighten up. OK?
This 69 year old quit letting people talk down to him many years ago, and I see no reason to start again. It's a personnality flaw of an ex-dairy farmer from Idaho.
Somewhere this thread quickly passed into a judgement phase, where certain people feel that some members of this forum somehow know more about an incident than the one who experienced it.
I have reviewed my original post and didn't find any request for advice, rather, my intent for the post was to alert people that stuff happens out here.
So I guess the judgement or free advice post are to be ignored.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have shined the bridge of a freighter. Leaving P.V. Mexico for Cabo halfway across. Blowing a stink, hand steering, because the a/p won't keep up. Lights come over the horizon, and I am just keeping an eye on it. She's getting closer, so I flash the sail. Time passes, and she's getting closer, so I keep the spot light on the sails. She's getting closer, so I call on the radio. Still dead on my stern, and coming on quick with my nerves jumpy.

I am thinking he can't see the light on my stern with all the wave action, and deep troughs. My nerves are now out of my skin, so I sweep his bow with the spot light. Still no deviation in the freighter's course. One hand on the tiller, and the other calling through the mic, and no reply.

The freighter's so close now I am practically peeing on myself. I light up his bridge which in my mind's eye is nearly towering over me. I have tacked thinking this is the last thing I will accomplish in life. Throw the spot light on the bridge shaking it madly. What seems like the last second, and the freighter blasts it's horn, and turns sharply. Fortunately he turned to strbrd as I tacked to my left. I am hoping that was a GOOD cup of coffee he went for........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26   #42

shame on you, woke him up during his sleep watch! If you think staying awake on your sailboat is hard at 3 am, what with all the sail handling and slapping of lines etc, try staying awake on a huge stable platform at 25 knots with the AP set for a 1000 mile way point! You can only stare at that American Playboy center fold for so long...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 14:17   #43
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
shame on you, woke him up during his sleep watch! If you think staying awake on your sailboat is hard at 3 am, what with all the sail handling and slapping of lines etc, try staying awake on a huge stable platform at 25 knots with the AP set for a 1000 mile way point! You can only stare at that American Playboy center fold for so long...

Just when I think I am smart. Something, or some one always comes along to humble me......thank you cheechako......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Another good reason to carry guns aboard.

Steve B.

I agree 150%...
situations like these are why i will always sail armed...
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15   #45

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
john - just curious which charity you donated the boat to? (wouldnt be the local seascouts, would it?), do you know if they sold her yet? reason i ask is i see your ex-boat everyday, it is anchored in the ICW still, not far from mine, and yesterday i noticed the companionway was open, but doesnt seem to be anyone home...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas