Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2022, 16:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Back To The Islands

I'm reluctant to comment on the 6-18 month time frame you posted, but I'll give it a go.

My opinion is that there is no time like the present. You can waffle all you want about this, that and the other, but there is not telling what tomorrow brings.

Any number of issues can arrive to throw a wrench in your plans.

There is simply no " perfect" plan, anymore than there is a "perfect" boat.

I'll tell you this tale. Some years ago, I came across this couple, that literally didn't have a pot to p*ss in. A husband and wife pair, that had both been diagnosed with some or other terminal cancer, and had both been given 6 months or so to put their affairs in order.

They didn't have a lot of money, but said ....ok, let's go out in a blaze of glory. They ended up buying a decrepit boat one skip away from sinking, put their personal belongings aboard, and off they went. 6 months soon grew into 6 years.

Got one more story to fire you up. Some years back , I was on a trip to Bermuda, leaving from Florida. About 3-4 days out, I spied a sail on the horizon, and determined it was heading my way.

Sure, soon enuff, this small 20-something fiberglass footer pulls alongside me. Aboard was an elderly couple, myself and my crew estimated to be in their 80's. They were both naked as jaybirds and brown as a berry.

They asked me for " directions" to Bermuda. Yep, seriously "directions"...their only navigational tool on board was a schoolboy atlas. We found out that they had left from the Florida Keys.
I gave them a lat/long fix, a compass course, pointed my finger to the horizon and said go thataway.

They required nothing else, thanked me, started their engine and were soon a blip on the horizon.

When I arrived in Bermuda a few days later, I kept an eye for them, but never saw them again, but they could have been anywhere in the multitude of anchorages Bermuda has to offer.

Hope this serves to fire you up!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 16:50   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Messing About,

I should have made it clearer before. I have never even seen a freshwater sailboat that spent 20 yrs. only on/near fresh water! Therefore I cannot make a knowledgeable c omment about that aspect.

If you find a well cared for example of what you want, my guess is that good care trumps poor care every time, and that fresh vs. salt goes out with the noise. Only a guess, mind you.

Ann

Well then I can show you my little boat which has known only the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River, pretty sure it fits that classification
And being an old c&c it’s more that a couple of decades old
Old 07-08-2022, 17:21   #33

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

MicHughV those are both great and inspirational stories. You put a huge smile on my face, in fact, the first one I’ve had all day. Thank you. Believe me, I’m ready to go. Unfortunately my bride of 22 years is going on an altogether different and, I pray, even more spectacular one than I have planned. I have to see her thru to that departure before putting my plan into action. And yes, I offered her both the “live like you were dying” RV or boat trip to try and up her spirits and her condition. She not interested in either. She’s been dropping a pound a week since January and at last weigh-in, two weeks ago, was 66 pounds, fully clothed with shoes and a light jacket on. Factor out the weight of her saline implants and her true weight is closer to 55 pounds. She won’t likely see the new year. Sorry to put a damper on the great conversation but I didn’t want you thinking I had a less than valid reason for delaying my departure. It will be just these two as my crew.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659917366.438787.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	262448

But go we will, as soon as the winds favor our plans.

My current favorite boat is on Lake Superior. A 1999 IP 380 listed at $220k. It’s original owner has given it a great life of warm seasonal use in fresh water and winters cradled and swaddled with her custom full cover. Would still have to verify the chain plate enhancements but every reason to believe this owner has spared no expense in caring for her. At that price, being how we are more than halfway through the Great Lakes sailing season, she just may be there waiting for me next Spring. Learning to sail on Superior could point out my inferior experience but the thought of cruising the Great Lakes, out the St Lawrence and down the Atlantic is an attractive start.

If not, there will be another boat or 5 that will come my way. My favorite floor plan is the 370 but I also like the 380 and the rare Estero. There’s a nice 2008 IP SP Cruiser in Alabama but not sure I’d want to single hand that and also would give up some sailing performance vs the cutter rigged sloops.

I appreciate the conversation, everyone. This is how I try to stay sane amidst crazy challenges at this stage of life.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 18:14   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

ayr sir, I respect and value your situation.

it's easy to be an armchair opionater.....is there such a word ??

no matter, I wish you the best.

I'll close this out by telling you, that many years ago, while still in High School, I was thumbing thru' a National Geographic magazine, circa, 1968-69 or thereabouts, that had as it front page, the wonderful tale of Robin Lee Graham, then a youngster from the USA, at the age of 19 years old or so, that sailed around the world on his little sailboat.

To tell you I was smitten about this tale would be an understatement. I was gobsmacked to put it mildly.

This...I promised myself.... I had to do!

I didn't have a rich dad willing to buy me a boat, so I had to build my own.
So I did...
A tale for another time maybe...

Here's looking at you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	262451  
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 19:04   #35

Yes, I read the novel, Dove. My favorite part is when he and some teenage friends buy a retired Navy lifeboat, slap a mast and sail and head out, unbeknownst to them, into a tropical storm. Many days later, when the police chief reports finding them safe on an abandoned island, the father sends word to the mother, “It appears our son is more interested in living than in life.”

Poetic words that could describe every cruiser and explorer.
Old 07-08-2022, 21:44   #36

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Well if it's a smile and a chuckle you're in need of, may I humbly recommend Farley Mowat's Boat Who Wouldn't Float.

Maybe it will be enough to convince you to eschew these plasticky things you're looking at and get a nice wooden gaffer of the schooner variety....
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 12:24   #37

We are likely in the final weeks of my wife’s journey in this life. We have called in hospice to help. They have been beyond amazing in providing tools to help me move her about the house and supportive in every way.
Despite me working from home, three days in, I realized there was no way to work and care for her. I took leave from my job for the foreseeable future. Have 7 weeks paid built up and can take an additional 5 weeks while still guaranteeing my position, pay and benefits. Don’t think this will take 12 weeks. Very grateful that the roles aren’t reversed. No way she could care for 275 pound me, the way I can 60 pound her. We are having great conversations and enjoying wonderful music together. It’s chaotic at times of moving her around the house but so peaceful when we just sit and talk. I will miss her when I am alone on the future boat but I will still listen to music and sit and talk with her. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1660677851.058889.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	262955
Old 16-08-2022, 14:11   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

My sympathies go out to you. You both are in for a very difficult journey. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. Take advantage of any respite offered to you because you'll need that.

Please realize that she's not entirely to blame for not giving up alcohol and cigarettes and for starving herself. This commonly happens with throat and neck cancer patients. It's called Chemo brain. Cancer is cured but the brain is almost destroyed. They are thrown into severe depression. They crave a food, taste it and then can't even swallow it because it disgusts them. So it affects taste and smell and appetite. Their sinuses over produce mucus causing swallowing problems. And somehow it seems to annuciate any addictive or self soothing behavior. It's unfortunately one of the cancers where the cure can be as bad or worse than the cancer itself.

I'm so sorry for the both of you. Please hold strong and continue to enjoy the company of each other while you can.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 16:33   #39

Thank you, Gadagirl. Your perspectives and info are spot on with what I’ve seen so far.
There’s no more blame or resentment. Only love and caring.
I have figured out a way to reduce her alcohol intake and increase her hydration. Since she incapacitated now, I’m the bartender. I have been cutting the wine with about 30% water, stirring it vigorously, and she hasn’t noticed.
I figured if she did, I would blame a bad bottle but so far so good. A 1.5 liter bottle used to last just 1.5 nights. Now a bottle lasts 3 nights!
Saves money too! Her kidney function is good, as shown by her peeing more often.

Thank you for your kindness.
Old 16-08-2022, 16:57   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Thank you, Gadagirl. Your perspectives and info are spot on with what I’ve seen so far.
There’s no more blame or resentment. Only love and caring.
I have figured out a way to reduce her alcohol intake and increase her hydration. Since she incapacitated now, I’m the bartender. I have been cutting the wine with about 30% water, stirring it vigorously, and she hasn’t noticed.
I figured if she did, I would blame a bad bottle but so far so good. A 1.5 liter bottle used to last just 1.5 nights. Now a bottle lasts 3 nights!
Saves money too! Her kidney function is good, as shown by her peeing more often.

Thank you for your kindness.
I understand that you exactly know the facts of it all. That was my underhanded way of educating the general public.

But please know I sympathize with you and encourage you to take advantage any respite offered. Allow people to care for you as well. It's not at all easy. As I'm sure you know.

Again, I wish you and your lovely wife the best of what the journey provides.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 19:13   #41

I’m watching a YouTube video with meditation music and the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis. I think my initial cruising goal will be to see both the Northern Lights and the Southern Cross with my own eyes. Accomplishing that should log a good number of nautical miles on my next future Island Packet. Since one of my favorites is on the Great Lakes already, a first season there should give a good chance to fulfill the first wish.
Old 16-08-2022, 20:41   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^
Good list, but might as well add the Aurora Australis (southern lights) for symmetry!
A bit harder to access (Ann has seen them on watch, I've not been so lucky), but if you keep on heading south after raising the Southern Cross they will likely show up before you hit the ice!

Hang in there, mate. Hard times now, better times coming...

Jim
Old 16-08-2022, 20:57   #43

Thank you Jim. You and Ann have been great support here, between your direct comments and the many posts you’ve left over the years.

A question: I intend for my home port to be Charlotte Harbor, FL but depending on where I buy the boat from, there could be a long first season to get her home; I.E. Great Lakes Region, Maine or elsewhere. Another IP370 has become available in the Pacific NW. How challenging is the NW Passage to get to the East Coast of the US, vs Pacific, thru the Canal, across to the Gulf? I know there are real piracy concerns going along the Caribbean side of Central America.
Thoughts on those routes for a rookie sailor?
Old 17-08-2022, 17:18   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Messing About,

In the normal way of things, it will be far better to buy in Florida, than in the PNW or the Great Lakes. Buying close to home where you have a support system is a good deal, and you'd have folks to chat with about what you want to do with your boat. It could save thousands of dollars in repairs, alone.

You said that you'd be learning to sail. Do so somewhere you can come back to warm showers and a pre-cooked meal after learning how to handle rough weather. You can accelerate the program by intentionally going out in ever increasing wind (and sea state) weathers. But plan on it taking a while. It's a process, and part of it is considering what happened and why, and planning differently. Plan your trip so that if the Bahamas are your first destination, you provision in FL, after hurricane season.

If you were to buy in the PNW (which seems to be a summer time light wind area), you will not be prepared for ocean sailing until you've circumnavigated Vancouver Island. You shall by then have learned about playing tides, and staying put when it is inadvisable to go, and other tricks of the trade, like when your boat likes to have its first reef, whether to install a 3rd reef and why, don't set yourself up for a very long delivery trip back to the east coast. However, if you did buy there, you could be setting yourself up to cruise to Mexico then jump off to the South Seas.

Enjoy these last weeks as much as you can. There is a book written by a young man who, if I remember right, had leukemia, called, "How Can I Not Be Among You". You might be interested to look at it for stuff your good lady has not been able to say to you.

Thank you for taking such good care of her. Some guys chicken out and run away, so I praise your courage and steadfastness. Good on you, mate. I'm hoping she slips away without pain and without fear., and you can hold her hand as much as she wants.

Hang in there, as Jim said, better time's a-coming.

Ann
Old 18-08-2022, 09:57   #45

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

Sorry to read about your wife, but in my case, I am in good health @ almost 78 and my wife is good at 81. However I have never retired, not for the money but the challenges. This year I made up my mind to find a boat and go back to the islands (USVI), even though my wife is afraid of water. For the last 6 years I have been day sailing with an old Columbia 8,7 (say 29') learning the line and expanding my skills.

My chosen boat was an IP380 (The island berth is easy to get in and out of), and at my age you get up a lot at night.

Like many other I set up searches on YW, then one day I was looking at a boat review on Learning the lines channel and it opened my eyes to other options. Today I have a contract on a Gozzard C36 down in Island, will close in Nov. I saw them pop up every once and awhile, price is attractive for what you get, bluewater boat with lots of pzazz that I can still solo. Work lusting after.
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote