Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 03:46   #61

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House
Re: Again (?) about your dressing habits and etiquette as Long-Term sailors

I bought a lot of Uniqlo stuff always dressy but casual as well. Little space for max effect
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:18   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It always eludes me how some people think shaving is normal, and beards are somehow an affectation. Ergh, no, sorry, but beards are the normal condition of the human male chin. It is shaving that is the affectation!
To put that in perspective, a beard cannot make a man look any older than he is: The age he appears to be, with beard, is how he is supposed to look. If he appears younger when clean-shaven, then it is the SHAVING that is giving a distorted image.
It is said that shaving was basically unheard of (terribly expensive and inconvenient and time consuming) until after Alexander the Great ordered his soldiers to be clean-shaven, so those rascal Persians would no longer be able to grab them by the beard form behind and snap their necks. And then once that took hold, all the young men wanted to look like the great soldiers of Alexander.
Hairy chests, hairy beards, hairy heads...just like eyebrows, they tend to come with the basic equipment that way.

Whether someone takes the time to do basic grooming, that's something else again, regardless of whether it means shaving twice a day to keep off the 5'o'clock shadow, or just brushing the crumbs out.

So, who polished their shoes last night? Last week? This month?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 14:03   #63

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

So much depends upon where you are and what you are doing. I have a standard issue old man's goatee, but usually shave as needed or twice per week, whichever comes first. I wear my hair short because it is more comfortable, not to mention easy since my bald spot first progressed to an area, and has now reached a section called the top of my head. I do keep clean, but just how often this is necessary is partly dependent upon the weather, the sea conditions (including temperature), where I am, what I am doing, and who is or is not around. Clean and neat self and clothing as needed, less neat if not needed, and the fewer needed the better. I do not usually receive any hassle fro officials, but if I am able to travel (cruise) to more distant locations than neighboring countries, I fully accept the idea of button shirts, pressed pants, and decent, clean shoes. Wore suits for too much of my life to want or need one now, and I will avoid going places where I must wear a coat and tie. Since cremation is my preference, if my body is around, no special clothing requirements.
Old 30-07-2017, 15:03   #64

Boat: Seafarer36c

This whole topic is goofy. In the tropics, French guys wear Spedo's all over the place. And if you make fun of the French around here, you might get expelled, so don't do it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:04   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Interesting discussion on beards and dress....(I think women all over the world are now great full to Alexander the Great)[emoji4]

For me, who had worn a groomed beard for 30 years, then became clean shaven,...
...it was simply at the request of my loving partner who preferred it that way for all the right and amorous reasons [emoji6]

I actually found shaving much easier, less messier and quicker than grooming the beard.

The same applies to clothes, when she makes an effort to dress up.....I do to.....
Whether it is for a romantic night out, or a business event like clearing in at Customs.... It is the potential benefits that influence my appearance.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 20:28   #66

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This whole topic is goofy. In the tropics, French guys wear Spedo's all over the place. And if you make fun of the French around here, you might get expelled, so don't do it.
Old 31-07-2017, 02:29   #67

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

Here where I anchor , Summe time : less is best , close to nothing !!!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:37   #68

Boat: cal29

I thought people who are live-aboards, life time cruisers and those of us who want to be, partly do it to escape the societal and corporate demands of the lives they now or did live. That being said, it is impossible to escape completely so there will be times when we have to comply. So, I believe there is one basic rule to follow in any situation. Always be respectful of the situation you are or will be in and of the people who invited you or will be with. If you do that, you obviously have the common sense to dress appropriately. Think in advance of scenarios you might find yourself in, and stock your wardrobe accordingly.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail