Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 09:31   #1

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
A great blog

I was very torn whether to post this or not. Like the original, I know this will create a flurry of negative comments.... In the end I just have to share it as its a great story and she is a great writer. I felt it needed to get the readers it deserves.

NOTE - I have no connection to these 2 AT ALL. A friend sent me their blog about a year ago!

The new Bumfuzzle = oceanna the boat | our sailing adventure

2 Alberta oil industry kids (kids, I use that word lightly) buy a cruising cat and head off around the world. Greg was originally from Vancouver and is an avid surfer. Kaycee is originally from Saskatewan and the only ocean she knew was an ocean of wheat. At this point, they are 1/3 of the way around the world and have written about everything. Follow their adventures from the drive (yes from Grande Prairie, Alberta to Wilmington, North Carolina) to thier first sail!

Its a blog like this that can fuel the dream from someone for years to come. Enjoy!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 11:14   #2

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: A great blog

I stumbled across this early this morning and luckily had good internet here in Bora Bora, so was able to quickly check out the blog. I'm not sure I'd call them the 'new Bumfuzzle' though. I found the tone of the blog completely different and much more positive. While they didn't have extensive sailing backgrounds before going, I get the impression they have pretty good skills from previous experience that they're applying well. It could be that I'm just have a bias towards oilfield workers and farm kids though as that's my background also!

We've met them a few times in Panama and Galápagos this year. Always having a great time and seem to be loving where they are......not a bad thing.

Well, we've got to go get the boat ready to leave for Niue tomorrow am.

Mark
Amelie IV - Amel Super Maramu
Currently cruising South Pacific with our 15 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 11:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi,

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you if you wish to help someone else (the young "kids" you mention).

Calling them the "new Bumfuzzle" may actually turn off a lot of cruisers and give them a bad initial impression.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 11:49   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hi,

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you if you wish to help someone else (the young "kids" you mention).

Calling them the "new Bumfuzzle" may actually turn off a lot of cruisers and give them a bad initial impression.
Maybe that was the point
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 12:47   #5

Boat: Ericson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hi,

For Bumfuzzle sailing was a means to an end. That doesn't make them something to shy away from. Just understand that in the end it wasn't the sailing they were after but the travel. I believe the last I heard they were driving a van around Mexico or some such.
Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote