Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 00:24   #106

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Zika and adult brain damage

There are many viral and other diseases around and I'm not sure that zika is any worse than dengue which is fatal in around 1% of cases or up to 50% if untreated, we have dengue in Australia and it is also found in Bali but it hasn't stopped anyone from going there for a holiday. The scientific work that you mention seems preliminary and is being performed in mice not humans, you will notice the reporter is careful to use qualifiers like "may"and "should"". Frankly I would be more worried about measles given that it can cause subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and can be fatal. A lot of people are failing to vaccinate their children and we are seeing a resurgence of childhood diseases because they believe the untrue and sketchy material posted on the internet.
Chebacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 00:31   #107

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
...the research indicates.... Likely.....maybe.....if....supposedly....the dept suspects....in likelihood...perhaps we should.....it could be....in speculation...

If the dog would not have stopped to crap, he MIGHT have....
A) gotten cramps
B) not gotten caught by dog catcher
C)not gotten shot by the gardener
D) got on the trail of another dog
E) found the scent of a rabbit
F) perhaps caught a rabbit
G) not been run over by the truck

Consider the source of what you read, the author, the publisher, the paid shill, the lame stream media, follow the money trail.
CDC likely fabricating link between Zika virus and microcephaly cases; admits people self-immunize against Zika and that 'no single piece of evidence provides conclusive proof' - NaturalNews.com
Snopes says there is no discovered link between Zina and microcephaly. And states Monsanto is not involved🤑.
Who owns patents on Zina virus ?
That's a great question.

Fear mongers, doom n gloom, vaccine marketeers, ....
Getting exercise jumping to conclusions.
Vague reports from sensationalistic journalist, that's not even a journalist in real terms.banghead:
Ahhh.. Monsanto, responsible all the evils in the world. If you want to know if the Zika (I assume you mean Zika and not Zina?) virus is patented, check the databases, they are public AFAIK. Reading through your link on naturalnews, I'd suggest you heed your own advise and "Consider the source of what you read, the author, the publisher, the paid shill, the lame stream media".

cheers!
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 03:40   #108
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
It is now being reported that researchers have found that the Zika virus may now cause brain damage in adults.

Medical Xpress: Zika infection may affect adult brain cells

If true, and there is no reason to say that it's not, what impact will this have on cruisers?

Could we see places like the Caribbean have a serious drop off in recreational sailing as the fear of Zika moves beyond just childbearing age women?

What impact going forward could this have on the charter businesses? Also let's not forget the overall impact on these Island nations economies.

Personally, I don't think people are thinking seriously about the effect this mosquito born virus could end up having on sailboating. The empty seats at the Rio Olympics could just be a fortaste of the impact on other elective lifestyle choices.

I would think the first to be affected would be the charters. And if the charter companies get hurt the flow on effect throughout the sailboat related industry could be serious.

Now that Zika has now spread to Miami tourist areas such as South Beach, if I owned a tourist related business I would be selling now. Miami is a good example of how this little virus can cause an economic crash locally.

I would really like to hear others thoughts on this. Am I being too negative? Is it something that will have no impact commercially?

Thanks,
Chaya
After reading your past few threads where you seem to be concerned or worried about neary everything, I'm thinking that you might want to reconsider your plans to purchase a boat and travel. Just wait until you actually get out on a boat and get caught in a storm or have a major mechanical failure etc. You need to ask yourself if you have the mental and physical stamina to deal with these situations. One cannot be the type consumed by fear and worry for the cruising lifestyle to work successfully.

Just a thought.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 04:43   #109
cruiser

Quote:
I am truly sorry to hear of your plight with mosquito born tropical diseases. You alone understand the health risks born by these little blood suckeres.

If any good can come from Zika is that it will make many more aware of tropical diseases, the ravages to the body, the often long term painful effects and even death these diseases can cause. Hopefully this heightened awareness will bring about greater precaution by many more people.

What makes Zika different from other, what are called euphemistically, tropical diseases. It is its destructive results and very importantly it's epidemiology.

Stop and think on this. For the first time in its history. The United States CDC has issued a travel warning and a self policed travel ban for a United States City. Miami now is the first city within the USA to be virtually off base for any child bearing aged women.

What is the CDC going to do when it's acknowledged that Zika is also a serious threat to otherwise healthy males and females. Are we going to see the CDC issue an advisory to stop all travel by everyone to Miami. Maybe because of the money that will lost to the economy they may well not issue such a warning. But logic would say that such a warning shouldn't be far off.

I personally wouldn't stop going to the Caribbean. I would however not sit around unprotected. Long sleeves and long pants. If the mosquitoes are prevent all day and night I would act accordingly. If they only come out in the late afternoon and night then I would enjoy greater dress freedom in the mornings and lunchtime.

Reasonable precautions for sailing in the Caribbean and South Florida:

1. Use protective clothing for mosquito risk times of day and night

2. Use mosquito repellant constantly

3. Make your boat a mosquito free haven with mosquito netted enclosed cockpits and all vents and hatches.

4. Instead of sundowner on shore at a bar, invite other boaters and friends to your boat mosquito safe space for late afternoon sunset drinks.

With insect repellent and effective physical barrier protection I would sail off to the BVI's. I may even sail to South Florida. San such precautions definitely not.

Anyone remember Audrey Hepburn in the movie called African Queen. The hat she wore with mosquito netting. Sensible people back then new of the dangers of hot climate diseases. Perhaps we will start to see Audrey Hepburn style hats in St Barts.
While out cruising and enjoying scenic anchorages, we get mosquito bites every day, there's no way to avoid being bitten. Zika is NOT something we waste time worrying about.

DDT is the answer, maybe now it will be re-introduced.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 05:53   #110

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Did the hotel owner reveal how many cancellations they get every day, or the same day last year, or anything that might render that data point relevant? You're afraid of Miami, but not FTL, just a few miles away?
No she didn't. She had one of the smaller bouquet hotels, an orange one on the main strip. She was concern and it seem the impact was just starting and not a crushing blow yet. Said two of the cancellations were young couple, who were pregnant. My thought is we have a base in FT Laud and if there's no reported Zika there it might be safer. I'm certain it will move up and down the coast and hopefully not there by winter. If it goes south to the keys, with everybody living outdoors. That may have an equal or worst impact.

We're making/adding new screens for the boat hatches, including the dorade boxes and anchor locker vent. I kill enough brain cells with rum, I don't need to add to the damage.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 06:51   #111

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

I think it's commercial and political pressure that they aren't warning everyone from traveling to Miami. Rather than now only warning women who may become pregnant and men who may make women pregnant.
It is not just a Miami problem. St Lucia is not warning incoming ARC sailors either.

Pretending everything is all right apparently a common vested politics trick across cultures and continents.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 07:03   #112
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Amen all is all right don't panic ladedadadahday
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 07:16   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
While out cruising and enjoying scenic anchorages, we get mosquito bites every day, there's no way to avoid being bitten. Zika is NOT something we waste time worrying about.

DDT is the answer, maybe now it will be re-introduced.
Perhaps you should leave the Med and start cruising off of Puerto Rico. See how you enjoy Zika then.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 07:18   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
No she didn't. She had one of the smaller bouquet hotels, an orange one on the main strip. She was concern and it seem the impact was just starting and not a crushing blow yet. Said two of the cancellations were young couple, who were pregnant. My thought is we have a base in FT Laud and if there's no reported Zika there it might be safer. I'm certain it will move up and down the coast and hopefully not there by winter. If it goes south to the keys, with everybody living outdoors. That may have an equal or worst impact.

We're making/adding new screens for the boat hatches, including the dorade boxes and anchor locker vent. I kill enough brain cells with rum, I don't need to add to the damage.
Very sensible. Happy bug free sailing. Being prepared is a good way of thinking.
Old 22-08-2016, 07:24   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Ahhh.. Monsanto, responsible all the evils in the world. If you want to know if the Zika (I assume you mean Zika and not Zina?) virus is patented, check the databases, they are public AFAIK. Reading through your link on naturalnews, I'd suggest you heed your own advise and "Consider the source of what you read, the author, the publisher, the paid shill, the lame stream media".

cheers!
Well said. I can't believe anyone believes this nonesense. Such as the CDC fabricating the link between Zika and birth defects.

What has me puzzled as to why someone would fabricate false information and attack the CDC.
Old 22-08-2016, 07:55   #116

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
After reading your past few threads where you seem to be concerned or worried about neary everything, I'm thinking that you might want to reconsider your plans to purchase a boat and travel. Just wait until you actually get out on a boat and get caught in a storm or have a major mechanical failure etc. You need to ask yourself if you have the mental and physical stamina to deal with these situations. One cannot be the type consumed by fear and worry for the cruising lifestyle to work successfully.

Just a thought.
Good post Ken...I believe the OP enjoys controversial topics in order to feed their narcissism. So whether it's fear or just boredom, they like to engage others to feed their ego. People fall for this and chime in on the topic. As long as we have sensationalism in the media, these types will use the information for attention, negative or positive.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 07:55   #117

Boat: Shopping

Well, all of the above got me curious, so I poked around on the internet, and it is interesting. Zika was "discovered" about 70 years ago. The virus is similar to dengue, but had much milder effects on humans. But when it got to Brazil, there was a horrifying increase in microcephaly.

No health agency has found a causal link between Zika and microcephaly. And other countries experiencing large numbers of Zika infections are not reporting an increase in microcephaly.

So why Brazil? It seems that in 2014, Brazil authorized a test of a new chemical to reduce mosquito populations, trying to stem dengue. The chemical is sprayed on fresh water and works by causing mutations in mosquito larvae. There is a direct correlation between where the chemical was tested and where the increase in microcephaly is occurring. Some of the Brazilian states involved have suspended the program. Many serious people feel it is this chemical that might be responsible for the increase in microcephaly.

Here is a link to an article discussing this, free of most of the hysteria:

Birth Defects in Brazil: Mosquito or Monsanto? - Reality Sandwich
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:03   #118

More people are dying from accidentally falling than Zika. And, you can have an accident anywhere. I grew up in a mosquito ridden part of the US and even had a friend who contract encephalitis (she lived but missed a year of school). It can give you brain damage, but she didn't suffer any, although she lost a lot of weight.

Just use repellent. There are plenty of natural ones that don't harm you. But, at this point, I would have to see a lot more cases of Zika before I panicked.
Old 22-08-2016, 08:28   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“A team of WHO scientists recently reviewed data on the toxicology of pyriproxyfen, one of 12 larvicides that WHO recommends to reduce mosquito populations. It found no evidence that the larvicide affects the course of pregnancy or the development of a fetus. The US Environmental Protection Agency and EU investigators reached a similar conclusion when they carried out a separate review of the product...”
WHO | Dispelling rumours around Zika and complications

FWIW: Health officials in the state of Pernambuco, the so-called epicenter of microcephaly, say that in the three cities reporting the most cases — Recife, Jaboatao and Paulista — pyriproxyfen is not in use.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:36   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is not just a Miami problem. St Lucia is not warning incoming ARC sailors either.

Pretending everything is all right apparently a common vested politics trick across cultures and continents.

b.
The Ostrich syndrome is alive and well. Putting your head in the sand doesn't make problems such as Zika go away. It is because of this syndrome I used showing imagery of schools in the future being full of Zika baby children. Deformed and with IQ'S less then your pet dog.

So now I'm under attack by the Ostrich types. They obviously get upset having to face reality.

The CDC travel warning for South Beach and parts of Miami is the first time in the CDC'S history to issue a travel warning for a United States City. This should speak for itself about the seriousness of Zika.

My thinking is the CDC and Miami have acted to late. Nearly 100 cases have now shown up in California. It is only a matter of time before it reaches the north east. Though I think the coming winter will most likely slow the progress northwards until next year.

I gave a list of sensible precautions that a sailor can do in order to protect themselves in mosquito infested Zika zones. Another person suggested the use of citronella as well. I understand that there are some foods that cause a chemical release in your skin that make you less attractive to mosquitoes. Also there are natural oils that are effective repellents.

If this thread does nothing else but raise the awareness amongst boaters then my objective for writing it has been achieved. I do hope thought that we all discuss openly ideas on protective methods while still enjoying life on the water.