Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 16:33   #61
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yachties deported from NZ

Never realised how dangerous Fiji is, I wonder where all the locals go each summer season????????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 16:44   #62

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Never realised how dangerous Fiji is, I wonder where all the locals go each summer season????????
Why, historically they have all gone to NZ and Oz to pick fruit...*

And here in Oz many farmers are worrying about just who is available to do that picking!

Jim

*Well, maybe not quite all of t hem...
Old 30-09-2020, 17:35   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And here in Oz many farmers are worrying about just who is available to do that picking!

Jim

Funny you should say that.....

https://dpir.nt.gov.au/primary-indus...o%20to%20waste.

Quote:
NT farmers need your support to get produce off to market.

Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions, farmers are expecting a shortfall of up to 1,000 workers.
....and

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...ngoes/12621234

Quote:
Mango industry celebrates as seasonal workers from Vanuatu touch down in Darwin

After a lot of uncertainty and some "tough" last-minute negotiations, around 160 seasonal workers from Vanuatu have landed in Darwin, as part of a trial program to fill a labour shortage for the Northern Territory's mango harvest.

The workers arrived on a chartered flight from Port Vila and will spend the next 14 days at a quarantine facility, before heading off to work in various Top End orchards.

The trial has not been cheap, with the NT mango industry forking out the $2,500 quarantine fee for each worker, plus the chartered flight from Port Vila understood to have cost around $100,000, which puts the total bill at around $500,000 before a mango has been picked.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 17:59   #64

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

About 2200 USD per employee. Two weeks wages at the minimum. If you need a worker for several weeks, tax deductible I assume, not outrageous.
Clearly the businesses involved think it’s acceptable.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 18:10   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If they were refugees seeking permanent residency that would be fine. These are people who will only be there through one season, hopefully, and move on. That's the way it's been done since I've been cruising. To claim COVID and cut them off from temporary safety makes no sense except if they just want to show how powerful they are. The yachts will have undergone a self imposed quarantine on the passage and probably could easily do another 14 day quarantine after arrival so are not a threat to spread the virus.

These are not hordes of destitute Syrian refugees coming in by the thousands on derelict freighters with no health precautions.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 18:10   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
About 2200 USD per employee. Two weeks wages at the minimum. If you need a worker for several weeks, tax deductible I assume, not outrageous.
Clearly the businesses involved think it’s acceptable.
With million$ in fruit needing to be picked it is, traditionally the picking is done by visiting Backpackers and with that avenue closed of they have to do something else, still a win win for all involved despite the outlay....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 18:38   #67

Boat: Retired from CF

Well , just let us all put this into our Logbvooks so we wont remember how unwelcoming certain places are right now because in a few month time , our NT and QLD tourism ads will reappear on TV asking the rest of Australia to come and spend dollaras and Queenstown , the adventure capital of the world , will ask again to be visited and dollars spend there. I for sure will remember the current times and may be FIJI will be more a place to visit and to spend dollars there as they at least make an afford for yachties. As one poster here asked , does Dingo have an issue with NZ , no i dont. I lived there for years and i think some kiwi's are exceptional people but Princess jacinda for sure is not one of them.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 20:02   #68

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
But when refugees do this, they are very often simply deported or held in detention.

Why should those who own a boat be treated any differently?

And that is exactly what they seem to be doing with the Germans

Try taking a walk across the southern boarder of the USA and see what happens.
Old 30-09-2020, 22:26   #69
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim

Only the poor ones... but hey, look on the bright side, at least we pay them now unlike historically ...

Come cherry time, if there ain't enough pickers, I might have to give it a go myself - payment in kind will be fine

One for the boss, one for me; should be able to pick 10kg (each) a day!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 22:27   #70

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Only the poor ones... but hey, look on the bright side, at least we pay them now unlike historically

Wottie, you really are a bad, bad man.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 23:50   #71

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
And that is exactly what they seem to be doing with the Germans

Try taking a walk across the southern boarder of the USA and see what happens.
Well exactly. I wonder whether people moaning about nz arrival rules have ever tried turning up in the US without having the correct paperwork and what would happen then, covid or no covid.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:49   #72

I wonder if it could be something along these lines....... this guy, on leaving NZ decided it was perfectly ok to leave his car double parked in the drop off zone at the airport, some sort of fancy pants Porsche (typical). On his return some 9 months later he is more than a little annoyed to find himself up in front of the old beak on the resulting parking charges. The hard nose judge decides to make an example off him and hits him with a $500 fine, $150 towing fee and $130 court costs (ouch!). On closing the judge suggested that next time it would be a lot cheaper to take a cab or even a chauffeur driven limo. The guy promised in the future he would as long as he could find secure undercover parking for his Porsche Carrera GT II for 9 months for under $780. Yacht out of cyclone zone CHECK, Boat still covered by insurance CHECK, Flights home arranged CHECK. Free accommodation while in NZ CHECK. And to really teach them a lesson they probably won’t be allowed to pick up their yacht until the finals of the Americas Cup are in full swing.
Kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:51   #73

Well under your current rightwing leader is suppose you will be shot on tghe spot but wait a few weeks when Biden is President and the you will be greeted with a bunch of roses and a greencard on arrival. I am waiting a few more weeks before i make my run into the USA.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:11   #74

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
Well under your current rightwing leader is suppose you will be shot on tghe spot but wait a few weeks when Biden is President and the you will be greeted with a bunch of roses and a greencard on arrival. I am waiting a few more weeks before i make my run into the USA.
Yep, no doubt about it mate, change the leader and the virus will disappear from the world, the dead will arise from the grave, we'll all be rich and famous and the pigs will all become aeronauts.

I'm a bit mystified, since these viruses tend to remain in the population at various places in the world, do these governments intend to keep their borders closed forever?
Old 01-10-2020, 02:24   #75

yes we will all go baqck 100 year. If you are american you stay in america , if you are aussie you stay in aussie , kiwi's stay in kiwiland BUT what about the few of us that have decided to live in a different country than what is stamped on our passports??????? In aussie land we have just about the most stupid State leaders and yes they think they can in fact declare independence from australia. is a big worry to life in a country that is just about going back to WW2 times. I want to immigrate to the USA if Joe becomes President , i think it will be nice to life under his government , free money , free greencard , happy days.

Tags
yacht