Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 11:16   #1

Boat: Bavaria 36 Cruiser - S/Y Cavalier
Which European Boat Show ?

Hi! Hubby and I have been to the boat show">London boat show two years running and weren't blown away the second year-seemed to be more about power than sail. Can anyone weigh in on the shows in Southampton or dusseldorf? Are they more sail oriented? Any other European shows you'd recommend?

Jenny
Old 25-01-2011, 12:08   #2

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge
Hi Jenny,

You are right about London. Pretty much a power show this year. Not much in the way of sail boats but plenty of power.

Southampton is a lot better, bigger, brighter, out side in the fresh air. Lots of vessels afloat in the purpose built marina. 4 big trade tents and lots of engines, sail makers, and boaty bits of every description. I really like Southampton.
I have never been to Dusseldorf but I hear nothing but good things about it. Every one I know that has been to Dusseldorf say it is the best show after Annapolis (I have not been there either).

Simes
Old 25-01-2011, 12:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

London's always pretty limited but then it aint got the facilities and space is limited... Southamptons a great show over a huge area.... Dusseldorf from what I hear from German friends who've done both.... is by repute just as good... better for me being a 'foreigner'....lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:24   #4

I did the Southampton show in 2010 and there were more sailboats than I could see round. There are some picture of it in my gallery. It was a great day out.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:25   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico Norteast 400, 40', 'Briez'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes
Hi Jenny,

You are right about London. Pretty much a power show this year. Not much in the way of sail boats but plenty of power.

Southampton is a lot better, bigger, brighter, out side in the fresh air. Lots of vessels afloat in the purpose built marina. 4 big trade tents and lots of engines, sail makers, and boaty bits of every description. I really like Southampton.
I have never been to Dusseldorf but I hear nothing but good things about it. Every one I know that has been to Dusseldorf say it is the best show after Annapolis (I have not been there either).

Simes
Hi,

I've been fortunate enough to do Annapolis, Dusseldorf, London and Southampton in recent years. Annapolis has one show dedicated to sailboats followed immediately by one dedicated to motorboats. I've only done the sail show and it's very impressive. Dusseldorf is just huge - all indoors as I recall - and very impressive. Southampton is very good for sail with lots of boats afloat, and I agree with others that this years London show seemed to have relatively few sailboats.

They're all different and all have pros and cons. If you can, decide what your primary reason for attending the show is and choose accordingly. If you're just browsing, I'd probably choose Southampton, but then I'm a Brit and it's on my doorstep!
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 12:33   #6

Cheers for all the insight! We'd be coming from Norway with the baby and his traveling band o'crap so are looking for the easiest travel option. Either dusseldorf or southhampton would work. We are just browsing the sailboats this year and next for an eventual purchase in late 2012/ early 2013 so really just want to be able to see the models and maybe snap up a show special.

Appreciate the input!
Jenny
Old 25-01-2011, 13:40   #7

Boat: Riviera 35
Yeah, London was a bit empty of sail this year. Not all the halls were used. The first three or four halls partions were closed. No Warship. No Princess or Fairline pontoons outside. I presumed it was caused by the markets, with a lot of cutbacks by the big manufacturers and a lot of the smaller ones just not represented at all. Nonetheless I enjoyed the show.

Southampton was better for sailboats, definately. I'd have to agree with the others. Haven't been to Dusseldorf for years so cannot comment on that, but far more sail at Southampton.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 17:04   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Forget London, Southampton is good, so is the Paris boat show, especially if youre interested in French boats or buying in Euros, better deals.

Ive always found Dusseldorf to be too general, theres halls of canoes and diving and winsurfing, and the major electronics people are only represented by distributors, whereas in Paris and Southampton, the principals are there.

Cannes is a nice boatshow, though a bit jazy, nice at the end of summer in the south of france as is Genoa.

Depends whats interests you.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 23:47   #9

Again, ta for the additional comments-all useful!

Dave, thanks for mentioning Paris and Cannes. We hadn't previously considered those. While Dusseldorf sounds big, it may have more general stuff than we are looking for this go round. Really looking for a sail show with the majors represented.

Jenny
Old 26-01-2011, 00:36   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Liverpool will be hosting its first boat show this year in the Albert Dock, dont think it will be a huge show, but will be interesting to see how they make out with the first one.
Jenny, Stavanger is a nice place, I'm quite often there on my work boat, much prefer it to Aberdeen.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 00:56   #11

Nigel, most people think I'm nuts, but I loved Aberdeen! Agree Stavanger is better for sailing though - no doubt! Cheers for the info about Liverpool - worth a look perhaps!

Jenny
CavalierToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 02:35   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
La Rochelle (France)

Late september. Most sailboats you will see in december in Paris will be there afloat. Nice town, good food.
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 05:39   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54
Late september. Most sailboats you will see in december in Paris will be there afloat. Nice town, good food.
Yes it's a good show however buying new Paris is better. Better deals and generally delivery is possible by the summer.

Dave
Old 26-01-2011, 07:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Liverpool will be hosting its first boat show this year in the Albert Dock,
When is this?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:10   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Southampton is great! It is unbelievably enormous -- too much to see in a couple of days. Great atmosphere. Tons of boats. Only disappointment for me was that the expected great opportunities to buy gear didn't materialize for me -- lots of gear on offer but not at any great prices. On the whole, however, highly recommended!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show