Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 03:51   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350
Re: What are Good Boat shows to Attend?

Last time I went to Boot Dusseldorf, it took me more than 2 whole days to see everything. It's that big and full of exhibitors.
Ponzoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 05:59   #17

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I live in Tampa bay The saint Petersburg boat show sure is not worth traveling to ! if you live next door its ok but more of a power bat show ! but Annapolis and Miami are the real deal . True every year they are getting smaller each year !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 15:40   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponzoa View Post
The best and most complete I've seen is BOOT DÜSSELDORF in Germany - usually in January.
Agree entirely.

What I find amusing is that the person who posted the question is obviously so US centric that he did not even bother to point out where he was or which continent he was prepared to look at!
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 15:59   #19

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

In the eastern United States the Annapolis Show is the ONLY worthwhile sailboat show, been going since 1980.

In 2017 I went to 3 shows. Miami sucks, St Pete sucks, Annapolis nice.

Plan to go on Thursday opening and keep going back till you're done,
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 17:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Oslo View Post
Boat Dusseldorf is the place to go:

It's just great for boats and equipment - but fix a few appointments can be an advantage depending upon how serious you are.

Good luck and enjoy!
That's a cool idea, we fly free with military flights and it's always easy to grab a flight to Germany!
Spartyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 17:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Agree entirely.

What I find amusing is that the person who posted the question is obviously so US centric that he did not even bother to point out where he was or which continent he was prepared to look at!
We are from Michigan, but don't let that stop you from providing advice!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:55   #22

Boat: Scout 30

We went to the St Pete Boat Show a couple of weeks ago. Tons of people but less vendors & less cruisers but if you're interested in fast powerboats powered by outboards there's sure a ton of them. If you're obsessed with boats like I am there are still interesting things to see but nothing like the old days.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:21   #23

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyman View Post
We are from Michigan, but don't let that stop you from providing advice!
Also Michigan peeps. Chicago has really gone downhill since they joined with the RV and powerboat show. Many of the seminars do not provide any more info than what you can find online. There are a few useful seminars, and a few that are good solely for the fact that Mac racers can go and get their boxes checked for pre-race classes. Otherwise talking to venders can be good, but even the venders are down in the number that are in attendance. Annapolis is "the" place to go to in North America for a sailing related boat show. Boot Dusseldorf is mind blowing in the size of it. I was in heaven for the time I spent there.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:43   #24

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

In 2018, we attended boat show">Miami Boat Show and Annapolis Sailboat Show. At Miami, we contracted for a catamaran purchase (new build, Seawind 1160 Lite, that is currently about a week away of shipping from factory in Vietnam). Went to Annapolis show mostly just for fun, but also finalize some electronics decisions. I actually thought the Miami Boat Show had larger vendor spaces, and B&G, Dometic, Raymarine, etc. had extensive displays. Annapolis had more boats. If I was new boat shopping in the US, hands-down its the Annapolis show.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:13   #25

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
In the eastern United States the Annapolis Show is the ONLY worthwhile sailboat show.

Plan to go on Thursday opening and keep going back till you're done,
Agreed We’ve have 2 years before we buy and 3 1/2 until we cruise. We’re going in 2019 to window shop. See what we like and dislike.

The following year some window shopping but more seminars and vendors.

The last year before we leave to cruise will be focused seminars; diesel mechanics, cruising a specific area, etc. plus getting show deals on products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I actually thought the Miami Boat Show had larger vendor spaces, and B&G, Dometic, Raymarine, etc. had extensive displays.
Good to know plus who wouldn’t want a short trip to FL?
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21   #26

I've been to Myjami, Fort Lauderdale and Saint Pete many times. Last year we flew up to Annapolis. The best thing about Annapolis is the general atmosphere and the surrounding town. You can exit the show, do some cheap oyster shooters, get some reasonably priced lunch and go back in.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 16:29   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Also Michigan peeps. Chicago has really gone downhill since they joined with the RV and powerboat show. Many of the seminars do not provide any more info than what you can find online. There are a few useful seminars, and a few that are good solely for the fact that Mac racers can go and get their boxes checked for pre-race classes. Otherwise talking to venders can be good, but even the venders are down in the number that are in attendance. Annapolis is "the" place to go to in North America for a sailing related boat show. Boot Dusseldorf is mind blowing in the size of it. I was in heaven for the time I spent there.
Thank you SV, looking forward to seeing the Annapolis and Boot shows!
Old 17-12-2018, 19:03   #28

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyman View Post
What do you think about the Chicago boat show?
Mostly powerboats. Severely overcrowded - I was there on a Saturday. The most compelling reason to go there, it is a day trip from SW Michigan. If you are planning to order a “mass production” boat, the prices/discounts will be a little better then at the Annapolis boat show later in the year. You can also get decent prices on accessories/collateral products. For example, I remember they were selling Airis high pressure inflatable kayak for much less then I paid for mine online.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 02:26   #29

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

Düsseldorf is Worlds No 1 as you can get everything there. It’s perfect for liveaboards. But to purchase a new vessel it has his limits as it is very crowded and requires appointments to see a vessel which is a very good idea.

For in water shows I prefer in water shows like Amsterdam, La Grande Motte (cats only) and Cannes is developing nicely.
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:17   #30

Hi All,
We are planning on attending the Annapolis Sailboat show this year for the first time- we are in the market for a good used sailboat 36-42ft, roughly 100K CAD, capable of ocean crossings. Does anyone have any idea on the ratio of used boats vs new usually available for sale at the show (ie in past years), or is it mainly new production boats? We're coming from Western Canada and plan to stay about a week in the Annapolis area.
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show