Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 11:34   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Viking Ship Draken Harald Harfagre 2018 USA Tour

Ahoy! Awaken your inner Viking!

The Draken Harald Hårfagre will sail into Norfolk from Thursday, September 13-Sunday, September 16 during its Expedition America: East Coast Tour 2018.

I had the great pleasure of seeing this boat up close while it was in Mystic Seaport and after I had sailed 1,000nm offshore to get there. The boat I was on was literally the next boat to the Dragon Ship. I marveled at the beauty of this long ship and relished seeing the wood hull and fittings. It is really a robust but graceful looking beauty of a wooden boat. It was especially beautiful to see in profile on a foggy morning.

I would love to see it again. It is well worth visiting. Take some friends or children with you. It is an unforgettable boat.

Learn more about the ship, and its 2018 tour of other ports in the USA.

During the tour Draken will visit 14 harbors across the East Coast of the U.S. spanning from Maine to South Carolina.

From the linked site:
“115 feet from stem to stern, 26 feet wide, 260 square meters of silk sail and a 79 feet tall mast made from Douglas fir. She is a seaworthy ship, able to sail the Oceans of the World.

At a hundred and fourteen feet of crafted oak, twenty-seven feet on the beam, displacing eighty tons, and with a thirty-two hundred square foot sail, this magnificent ship is indeed worthy of a king.”

Public deck tours (up 1,800 people/day)

See videos about the ship here:
https://www.drakenhh.com/about-the-ship/

https://www.drakenhh.com

https://www.drakenhh.com

https://vimeo.com/268260815
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	801EE11A-B276-4229-BA01-268BF3220128.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	176859   Click image for larger version

Name:	C34F5144-D545-4538-B5A0-83C5AAB5CFE7.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	176860  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:41   #2
cruiser

Re: Viking Ship Draken Harald Harfagre 2018 USA Tour

We crossed paths with the Viking ship last month off the coast of Maine. It’s quite the site at sea, especially when you don’t expect it.

Gotta love their videos, when it shows them navigating using iPads.... I guess Leif Erikson used a traditional iPad.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:18   #3

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

We are going to be anchored at hospital point norfolk that same weekend, will have to check it out, Thanks!
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:39   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Steady,
We saw Drakken Harald in Chicago and toured the vessel. It was nothing short of a work of Art. It was, for me, an interesting sidenote that many of the people we spoke with in line waiting to see the vessel were quick to say they were of Scandinavian descent. The Vikings were exceptional sailors and had a spirit of adventure that few possessed during Europe's Dark Ages. They also were great storytellers as witnessed by the exceptional Viking Sagas. Their legacy was one of the driving forces that took Europe into the Middles Ages and later, the Renaissance. As the Irish monks used to pray when they saw the spread of Viking sail on the horizon: "A furore Normanorum . . . libera nos Domine." (translation: Oh Lord . . . deliver us from the fury of the Northmen.
Still swinging an axe . . . Rognvald