Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 09:34   #76

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa
Re: Vessel boarded and robbed between Trinidad and Grenada

If a Yacht is armed and pirates too, what prevents pirates from shooting at the yacht for revenge?

Range? Yes. Let's go for deck mounted fully fledged cannons. That's how it was, anyway.

We mariners just went astray from the right way when we allowed for separation between merchant navy and war navy.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:35   #77

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Oh yes, must not forget to also live in fear of terrorists attacks.
Which has nothing to do with this thread or what I posted ...
Old 25-12-2015, 09:38   #78

Boat: American Tug

Here is a report from Carribbean Safety and Security Net:

https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/3245-2/
Old 25-12-2015, 09:38   #79

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
You should get out more. I can hear the call to prayer from where I am currently moored. No issues mate. I am not religious, and don't really like any religions, but you… are just scared and poorly informed, on this point at least. FWIW ISIL/DAESH is the product, precisely, of too much weaponry and resort to "solution by gun and bomb". But they are far from the greatest threat to you, if you live in Texas, or Malaysia for that matter… in which latter case it would have to be a toss up between the traffic and the poorly covered storm drains.

As to Blake and Mrs. Tangvald, they died because they attempted to use firearms in defense, and for no other reason as is made perfectly clear by the fact that in each case, all others, witnesses to murder, were left entirely alone.
maybe after their call to prayer they would voice their opinions of the isis crap but they don't.. they're just as guilty for not coming down on them
Old 25-12-2015, 09:39   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemind View Post
Indeed.
Sad state of affairs. I personally wouldn't take a chance with gas bombs. I'd rather use a normal flare gun or two than that.
I'll be inclined to fill their hull full of holes and unass the area asap.

Old 25-12-2015, 09:41   #81

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
maybe after their call to prayer they would voice their opinions of the isis crap but they don't.. they're just as guilty for not coming down on them
… this is absurd thread drift, but: as if you would have any idea whatsoever
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-12-2015, 09:43   #82

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Lizzy Bell,
I think you are correct. To each their own. It doesn't matter if
people agree with me, as long as they don't try to outlaw my belief or legal method's.
Yup - you worded it much better then I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Also disturbing if they can't be relied upon now as an accurate information source.
As far as I know, they are.
Maybe this story isn't on the site cos there is no accurate information (yet)?
Unless I missed a post, there are still no facts - which vessel, exact location etc.
Again, a story which might be accurate is not the same as an accurate report - IMHO.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:43   #83

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

MUCKLE FLUGA
ROFL, you DO like to argue don't you.
No fantasy here. I live in the real world. I also have common sense, which you seem to have trouble giving people credit for.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:45   #84

Quote:
… this is absurd thread drift, but: as if you would have any idea whatsoever
or maybe like in england they banned all firearms but now they come up with an idea to ban all knives... really? what's next, hammers? i'm the one out of touch here?
Old 25-12-2015, 09:49   #85

Quote:
ROFL, you DO like to argue don't you.
No fantasy here. I live in the real world. I also have common sense, which you seem to have trouble giving people credit for.
So your commonsense tells you to shoot:

1 When you see a boatload of men coming towards you
2 When you see a boatload of men coming towards you and they are armed
3 When you see a boatload of men coming towards you armed and pointing their weapons at you.

1 and 2 could be fishermen, in many parts of the world. 1, 2 and 3 could be police in many parts of the world, even if they are in a crappy boat and do not appear to be wearing uniforms. So… which do you pick? Any?

And what would you fire at them with? A pistol? A shotgun? An AR15? If they have 5 AK47s? Good idea? You need to plug some reality into the fantasy, partcularly as VERY FEW YACHTS ARE EVER ATTACKED BY ARMED MEN, WORLDWIDE, and it is highly illegal to carry firearms in many parts of the world.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 25-12-2015, 09:50   #86
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Meanwhile...
DATE: 2015-12-19 12:00
Country Name: Grenada-Trinidad passage
Location Detail: Trinidad Hibiscus Gas Platform
EVENT: Robbery and Boarding
Stolen Items: Money, passports, cell phones, computers, GPS
SECURED: N/A
DETAILS: On December 19 at approximately noon, a 75ft sailing yacht was sailing from Chaguaramas Trinidad N. In the vicinity of the Hibiscus Gas platform or 30 miles N of Trinidad, the boat was approached by a white with blue trim fishing type boat with 5 young men aboard. The fishing boat had 3 or 4 barrels that the crew guessed was extra fuel. They came up from astern speaking Spanish apparently asking for something. Once close to the yacht, one individual pulled out a military type assault rifle and made it clear they were coming aboard. The crew was held at gunpoint the BG Group Data book 2014 - Where we work - Trinidad & Tobagoentire time. 2 guys stayed in the boat, 2 went through the boat. 1 with the gun stayed with the 3 Yacht crew in the cockpit. No shots fired. Yacht crew wondered if they even had ammo. They were aboard for approximately 15 minutes and took money and electronics. None of the 3 crew were injured. The yacht carried on to Grenada and reported the incident to the Trinidad and US Coast Guards.

CSSN NOTE: After some clarification CSSN learned the original report to CSSN was made on behalf of the Captain and Crew by a source in direct contact with them.Therefore, we must classify this as a second hand report. CSSN may receive a few more details from the victims once they sort out lost passports and communication devices, etc..

CSSN will update this post as new information is available
Old 25-12-2015, 09:50   #87

Boat: Jenneau 45

Quote:
Prior to the attack, the yacht's crew had been very careful when travelling up the river and back down again; they always had crew members on watch. Only upon return to Macapa did they relax their guard.

yeah those guys...just like them.. better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.. and if this isis crap doesn't wake people up it's gonna get a lot worse. even nj of all places is starting to undo some restrictions. notice how they hit san bernadino. same thing happened in texas.. different outcome in texas. they won't be hitting those places anymore but will attack the anti gun states. it ain't rocket science.
Maybe if people like you and your arrogant nation stopped sending missiles and drones from somewhere over the horizon to kill thousands of innocent Arabs the planet would be afar safer place. You have little to be proud of as a nation. Stay in your own back yard and the rest of the world might eventually get back to normal.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:52   #88

Quote:
or maybe like in england they banned all firearms but now they come up with an idea to ban all knives... really? what's next, hammers? i'm the one out of touch here?
What are you even talking about now?
Old 25-12-2015, 09:52   #89

Quote:
Why thank you. Well, ok, since you ask, I am not completely defenceless, nor have I failed to think about it.

There are multiple layers of defence:

1. As you can see from these photos, I ostentatiously take photos of any vessel which is manuevering to intercept, or is close in a slightly odd fashion. This shows them that I have taken note, and if boarded, I would simply inform them that photos of their vessel have already been sent to friends and authorities etc. Which they may have been…

2. I carry several hundred meters of 3 and 4mm dyneema line aboard, capable of being trailed behind the boat and also launched out the sides in 30 meter lengths (wrapped around weighted cork balls) with a "wild sling". These are effective prop tanglers. Floating, and stronger than steel.

3 .I have a 7500 volt electric fence (agricultural), which I can rapidly mount on standoffs around the whole vessel, 2 rails. Believe me, touch that, and you won't try to touch it again. Nonlethal though, just an agricultural fence. I use that if anchored in certain spots or traversing certain areas. Not that night in Borneo, as it happened, though.

4. I have battery driven all weather PIRs and a VERY loud alarm which is located up the mast, and activates powerful spreader lights at the same time. Again, I use these only if I feel the need, which is not often.

5. I have what you might call an "area denial tool" aboard, which is basically pepper spray/cs, which is essentially useless above decks, but is very effective indeed in an enclosed space. I also have vapour masks and goggles for crew.

6. As a last resort there are more basic defenses of the hand to hand, and also of the standoff kind, dotted about the place. But I consider this an outside and remote eventuality.

7. Finally and most importantly, I have an open mind and show the world a calm and friendly face. I have found that to be the best defence of all, in uncertain situations.

I do not carry firearms. I am not "anti gun" in the sense that some may think, nor a "wussy". Actually I am a pretty reasonable shot with a pistol, both auto and revolver (preference for an auto .40 if curious), and not a bad one with a repeating longarm or shotgun. Better still with a scoped rifle. However after long consideration I think they are far more trouble than they are worth, and more likely to lead to pointless deadly confrontation than to avoid it, as the fantasies of "shooting engine blocks" or using "molotov cocktails" which inevitably pop up on these threads show so very clearly.
Great contribution. Thanks. I like all of your defensive ideas. Well done. I myself would be worried about foreign courts and having to spend the better part of the rest of my sailing life behind bars. Killing someone even in self defense leads to a lot of explaining and most likely detention.

On the other hand a good offense is a good defense. If it was known that boaters and sailors were armed I am sure there would be far less pirating events.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:55   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raythesailor View Post
Maybe if people like you and your arrogant nation stopped sending missiles and drones from somewhere over the horizon to kill thousands of innocent Arabs the planet would be afar safer place. You have little to be proud of as a nation. Stay in your own back yard and the rest of the world might eventually get back to normal.
arrogant nation? i have two words for you but they can't be posted here.. they would adress you and your mother. viciously, and cancer wishes come to mind as well. fo

Tags
bed, Grenada