Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2021, 06:55   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
US Customs and Boarder Phone Scam

I did not see this posted anywhere and wanted to inform people that some phone scammer has been calling regarding drug and contraband confiscation and to reply by pressing 1 on the phone pad. We've received three in the last couple of days. You wonder if its real especially if you are having items shipped to other parts of the world from the US, or recently checked into the US.

A quick Google search shows that the scam has been going on since December 2020.

From the CBP website:
"Residents are reporting the calls are a pre-recorded message stating, “a box of drugs and money being shipped has your (callers) name on it and it has been intercepted.” The caller is then instructed to press #1 to speak with a CBP Officer/Agent, which then attempts to get the callers banking information."

Our calls came from Minnesota, Louisiana, and Iowa. Minnesota and Louisiana left a message, Iowa did not.

FYI
geekoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 07:19   #2

Re: US Customs and Boarder Phone Scam

That's a good warning, thanks.

Scams related to parcel delivery have multiplied now that so many of us are doing more online ordering. They usually start out as a missed delivery notice and that you need to go online to pay some trivial amount, like $3, to get another delivery attempt. If you do, they can then make some humungous purchase with your card details, or it evolves into a longer con where they later pretend there's been bank fraud and they persuade you to transfer money into an account they control. Here's a report of the British equivalent.

Scam tipoffs:
  • prerecorded threatening phone messages. Police IRS etc don't do that.
  • emails without specifics relating to a shipment, order, etc
  • emails - always inspect the from address. Inspect the email source code, even
  • emails - inspect any links they include to see where they really go. Better yet, never click through via a dubious email link; instead, browse to the site they're pretending to be from - eg USPS, CBP, IRS, Canada Post, etc.
And finally just a reminder that in Canada it's actually now legal to receive some drugs by mail . But I have to go into an alley, with cash, to get a haircut...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 08:18   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I've been getting those calls (and similar) for a while now. They often call with an IVR outbound message stating something about your "social security number" and going before the "judge magistrate", Neither of which we have in Canada (so dead giveaway) So I mess with them and waste their time. They really don't like it when you talk back and call them on their BS! Most of them really don't know how to swear back at you in english!!

But hey, you waste my time, I waste your time!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 08:29   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island Ketch

Just an FYSA - CBP will never call you about any contraband that is intercepted. You will never know it happened. ������
Old 18-05-2021, 10:48   #5

Wake up people. US law enforcement does not make phone calls. Neither does the IRS.
You will either receive a letter in the regular mail or you will receive a swat team breaking down your door in the middle of the night.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 10:54   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

The scam mails/sms also come from fake DHL/Paypal/Amazon accounts, claiming need to repair account issues.
In Israel also fake Israel Post messages (including real logo) but arriving from outlandish addresses and usually with funny wording clearly composed by using machine translation.
Old 18-05-2021, 11:13   #7

Oh, boy. Thanks so much for warning us about telephone scams.

I'll put this right up next to India calling, Nigerian princes' emails, VISA credit card fraud, RCMP coming to arrest me, free cocaine press2, bank account drained press 3 to recover your money, and the two or three others I get everyday.

The ones at 0630 are the ones that really piss me off!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:05   #8

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Oh, boy. Thanks so much for warning us about telephone scams.

I'll put this right up next to India calling, Nigerian princes' emails, VISA credit card fraud, RCMP coming to arrest me, free cocaine press2, bank account drained press 3 to recover your money, and the two or three others I get everyday.

The ones at 0630 are the ones that really piss me off!
Say to the Nigerian Prince: "Thank god they've finally called - I've got $100 million of Robert Mugabe's (Zimbabwe) money in Trust. I have been trying to return it to his family since he died. I'm allowed to keep 10% for holding it for them. I just need $1,000 to pay the lawyer for the money to be released. If the Prince could put $1,000 into my bank account, then I'll send him half my fee - $ 5 million, when the money is released from Trust.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:10   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Also it seems in vogue these days is “auto-routing” of phone numbers. As I keep an old SC cell number I recognize this as often an inbound call with be from 803-316-xxxx and I just don’t answer.
I was looking for a bath remodel on one of my rentals this past week when another 803 number rang.... I almost didn’t answer.
When the caller identified himself as answering an internet inquiry I had made I put him on the spot immediately telling him that I didn’t feel “more comfortable” due to him being “closer” to my location as I am in Florida.
I find this practice troublesome and and indication of fraudulent activity. Just like all the calls I return to those numbers that go to a non working number.
Rant over, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 18-05-2021, 13:43   #10

It's my general understanding that, if you are suspected of being involved in a drug smuggling operation, they don't call you on the phone to tip you off, then politely ask you to pay the 'fines' remotely via Amazon cards.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:49   #11

Boat: Trevor Banks 44 Trimaran

I get email scam or phishing attempts (Your account has been blocked, click this link to solve the problem), always from institutions I don’t deal with, at least once a week. I’ve never fallen for them. However, last week, I was caught by another scam. I was looking to replace one of Albatross’s two long shaft Yamaha 9.9s. I sent an inquiry to Used Victoria.ca, who referred my search to one of their advertisers. He contacted me, with pictures of the exact model running on a stand, low hours, looked in great shape. The motor was in Abbotsford, BC, just inland from Vancouver. With the present Covid travel restrictions, going to see it wasn’t possible. So, we agreed on a price and shipping arrangements. I e-transferred the funds, and never heard from him again. Emails and phone calls went unanswered. Three days later, I received an email from Used.ca warning me that the ad might be a scam.Too late, I’m now out one month’s pension check, and a large part of the funds put aside for work on the boat this season. According to the RCMP, as I had made an agreement, it’s now a civil court issue, not criminal, so nothing they can handle. The court costs, bailiff fees, and private investigation to find a home address to serve papers to would cost a large part of what I lost, with limited chance of actually finding the scammer.
According to the officer, who was quite sympathetic, this type of scam has been dramatically during Covid, as more people are shopping on line.
markcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:50   #12

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That's a good warning, thanks.

Scams related to parcel delivery have multiplied now that so many of us are doing more online ordering. They usually start out as a missed delivery notice and that you need to go online to pay some trivial amount, like $3, to get another delivery attempt. If you do, they can then make some humungous purchase with your card details, or it evolves into a longer con where they later pretend there's been bank fraud and they persuade you to transfer money into an account they control. Here's a report of the British equivalent.

Scam tipoffs:
  • prerecorded threatening phone messages. Police IRS etc don't do that.
  • emails without specifics relating to a shipment, order, etc
  • emails - always inspect the from address. Inspect the email source code, even
  • emails - inspect any links they include to see where they really go. Better yet, never click through via a dubious email link; instead, browse to the site they're pretending to be from - eg USPS, CBP, IRS, Canada Post, etc.
And finally just a reminder that in Canada it's actually now legal to receive some drugs by mail . But I have to go into an alley, with cash, to get a haircut...
Yeah, and another way to know it is a scam is when there are mis-spelled words such as "boarder" instead of border. ( Sorry!)
Old 18-05-2021, 14:44   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There is also a Social Security scam going around. Which is relevant to many cruisers.

They call pretending to be from SSA and of course want to verify some personal information.

As with other agencies, the SSA will never call you and ask for this type if information.

We got a couple of these calls last year.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 15:05   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There is also a Social Security scam going around. Which is relevant to many cruisers.

They call pretending to be from SSA and of course want to verify some personal information.

As with other agencies, the SSA will never call you and ask for this type if information.

We got a couple of these calls last year.
Just a couple of calls last year? You're getting off easy! I'm averaging 1-2 PER WEEK! Its just the new version of the "Windows tech support " scam. I'll waste as much of their time as I want after all they called me!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 15:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Yeah, and another way to know it is a scam is when there are mis-spelled words such as "boarder" instead of border. ( Sorry!)

No need to be sorry.

They must have boarders at their border.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, phone