Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2016, 07:45   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: US Boats Advised To Avoid Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
US Citizens must have a Visa prior to entering Venezuela. The Visa can not be obtained by checking in. It has to be issued on land from a Consulate. In case you are unaware the United States gas issued a high level warning for any US vessels or crew traveling in Venezuelan waters. The US gas also said if you are in the country you need to be prepared to leave at a moments notice even if you have property or business. This is no rumor. This is red alert status issued by the United States Government.

Please do not be suckered into a false sense of security by sailors who are floating around out there totally unaware of how bad things have become.
the last news the other day was that visas are not being issued to usa citizens. have fun cruising vene.
you might wish to read el dolar today. the publication will keep you current on vene issues. it is in spanish so you may wish to use google translate for a rough idea of the issues

DolarToday
May 18 at 12:14pm ·
¡ÚLTIMA HORA! ¡Aislados! Embajada de EEUU en Caracas suspende otorgamiento de visas

Leer más en -► https://bit.ly/1rUhzUx
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 19:05   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
DANGER ZONE! Netherlands alert their citizens: Travel to Venezuela only if they are strictly necessary

DANGER ZONE! Netherlands alert their citizens: Travel to Venezuela only if they are strictly necessary VENEZUELA-POLITICS /
DolarToday / May 21, 2016 @ 9:00 pm

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands updated on Friday the national recommendations to travel to Venezuela. According to the newspaper review Curacao Chronicle () does not recommend travel cities and densely populated areas. Advise travel to Venezuela only if absolutely necessary. The reason is the increase in crime in Venezuela.

The country is in an economic and political crisis . Food is scarce and therefore rationed and the possibility of riots and demonstrations is great. Last week already been looting of shops in large cities. The road between the airport and the capital, Caracas, is "very dangerous , " says government service on its website.

The president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro declared a "state of emergency" threatening to arrest the owners of factories and conduct large-scale military exercises during this weekend. According to Maduro, the measures are necessary to address the economic crisis and to protect the country from foreign invasion.

Half a million soldiers will stand between Friday and Saturday. According to President Maduro, there is a foreign threat. Maduro complained Tuesday that US planes are coming from Curacao spies, violated Venezuelan airspace. The military exercise is the largest in the country.

Travelers should try to stay away from the demonstrations, especially in cities. They should take into account the shortage of food, water and electricity. Travelers are also advised not is to travel to the border with Colombia because of increasing tensions between the two countries, concluded the review of Curacao Chronicle

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, the three islands near Venezuela, belong to the Kingdom of the Netherlands, who maintains an embassy in the country and consulates in Caracas, Maracaibo, Puerto Cabello, Porlamar and Punto Fijo (lapatilla.com)
the original is in spanish....
https://dolartoday.com/zona-de-pelig...te-necesarios/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 21:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboak View Post
I am in the Caribbean now and have spent time in Venezuela 7 years ago and it is the one spot we won't return but don't believe your comment about the out-islands is correct and know boats that have recently followed that path to the ABC's! You need to state your personal experience with this area! Of course everyone should make their decisions with real and current info

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I have read newspaper reports and reports on other sites about sailors being stopped by the Venezuelan navy. They are stopping and boarding boats in the outer islands.

If you know of sailors who anchored in Venezuelan territory without o emits then I say they were playing Russian Roulette with their freedom and their boats.

But go ahead and encourage others to be foolhardy. Just because you didn't read it doesn't mean it's not happening.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 23:55   #34

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

What sailors in Venezuela? last time when i was there (2012) it was bad enough to avoid that place. Sailed down in 2011, left the boat in Medregal in the Golfo and returned it 6 months later with the new owner, only to find out the the government of Venezuela had confiscated her. Luckly for me the new owner didn't understand Spanish, so I just striped those fancy official placards of the hull, splashed the boat and left it with out bothering to clear out. Although I liked the country and the people very much, there is no way that i would go back there in the near future.
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 06:13   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryk View Post
What sailors in Venezuela? last time when i was there (2012) it was bad enough to avoid that place. Sailed down in 2011, left the boat in Medregal in the Golfo and returned it 6 months later with the new owner, only to find out the the government of Venezuela had confiscated her. Luckly for me the new owner didn't understand Spanish, so I just striped those fancy official placards of the hull, splashed the boat and left it with out bothering to clear out. Although I liked the country and the people very much, there is no way that i would go back there in the near future.
Yes. I was there when they can and put the stickers on all the boats that had been there for more than 3 months. About 15 to 20 boats. Crazy stuff.

The whole place is a tinderbox. And this that think the outlying islands of Las Roques are somehow immune have rocks in their head.
Illegal entry to a country where the Coast Guard only gets paid by the fines it makes and you don't think you'll be a target? FFS. Go lose your boat. I don't care.

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 09:15   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Ransoms in V by criminal gangs now in $US

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-bri...dollars-report

You really wanna go there?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 17:11   #37

Boat: Lagoon 450

We'll be sailing to the ABCs from Grenada in a few months and watching news and Noonsite regularly. Good info and advise here too.

We sailed into Salvador de Bahia a few months back, pretty much the only international yacht in Bahia Marina at that time. You cant freely walk around the city, off the beaten path, and are often reminded to remain only in the designated tourist areas where armed guards are on most corners. We didn't have any encounters, kept a low profile, took taxis from a to b, but you can feel it in the air. Fernando de Noronha was the opposite...pleasant, friendly, safe.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 03:07   #38

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I have read newspaper reports and reports on other sites about sailors being stopped by the Venezuelan navy. They are stopping and boarding boats in the outer islands.

If you know of sailors who anchored in Venezuelan territory without o emits then I say they were playing Russian Roulette with their freedom and their boats.

But go ahead and encourage others to be foolhardy. Just because you didn't read it doesn't mean it's not happening.
Are you really quoting me from a year and a half ago? You need to get a boat and go cruising!
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 08:04   #39

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes. I was there when they can and put the stickers on all the boats that had been there for more than 3 months. About 15 to 20 boats. Crazy stuff.

The whole place is a tinderbox. And this that think the outlying islands of Las Roques are somehow immune have rocks in their head.
Illegal entry to a country where the Coast Guard only gets paid by the fines it makes and you don't think you'll be a target? FFS. Go lose your boat. I don't care.

Mark

I'm, glad I had a chance to be there as this country has the best cruising grounds in all of Caribbean
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela