Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 09:28   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
UK SAR to go private. US co gets deal.

The UK Royal Navy has been responsible for search and rescue off the UK coast. But now its being privatized... And an American company <Shock! horror!> has won the contract.

British search and rescue services to be run by US company | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:43   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: UK SAR to go private. US co gets deal.

That's what happens when the welfare state starts to cannibalize itself.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:33   #3

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

Wonder if they will let citizens carry guns? oops sorry Markj
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:49   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The UK Royal Navy has been responsible for search and rescue off the UK coast. But now its being privatized... And an American company <Shock! horror!> has won the contract.

British search and rescue services to be run by US company | UK news | guardian.co.uk
shock horror! the air wing only play a tiny part of sea rescue,the uk is primarily covered by the coast guard and RNLI,with stations virtually every 50 miles and over 330 vessels,it is also a charity that does not depend on goverment funding.

The RNLI lifeboat fleet
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:53   #5

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge

Hmmm,

Not quite the case but close enough. Bristow (A US company, Founded by a Brit, ex RN Pilot if I recall correctly) have been running a good number of the UKs SAR sites and aircraft for a long time now. The RAF and the RN have been running few sites. The increased use of Bristow's aircraft (22 in total) will free the RAF and RN to focus upon their true tasks SAR of downed air crew and Anti Submarine roles amongst others.

Bristow have an excellent record in flying Helicopters in adverse conditions, out to the North Sea oil fields comes to mind.

In reflection I think that most Brits will be happy to see a improved service for all.

Simes
Old 26-03-2013, 12:56   #6

Boat: Niagara 35

Both Bristow and CHC are currently doing SAR in the UK. They have been involved in some very difficult and daring rescues. The S92 helicopters that they bring to the table are a huge improvement over the old Seakings. I can't say whether it would have been better for the UK to spend the money on new machines instead of contracting to somebody with new machines, but the hardware upgrade was required.

Here's a quote from May 2011 about a CHC S92 mission, so this has been going on for a long time:
Quote:
On the 4thMay 2011, duty SAR crew Captain Iain Campbell, Co-pilot Dominic Thorpe, Winch-operator Larry Slater and Winchman Simon Price from CHC Stornoway HMCG SAR Flight carried out the longest SAR mission since operations commenced with the Sikorsky S92, totalling 9hrs 21mins and a total distance 971.6nm.
The SAR crew were tasked to the MV Stena Perros where a crewmember was suffering from chest pains. The crew were pre-warned due to the extended range of the vessel. R100, one of the S92 aircraft based at Stornoway, launched with a doctor onboard and routed to the scene via a re-fuel at Sligo and Blacksod Bay in Southern Ireland. R100 arrived on scene and deployed winchman Simon Price to assess the casualty's condition. Once the casualty was stabilised, the casualty and winchman were recovered to the aircraft via hydrostatic lift method. R100 routed to Sligo and handed over the casualty to the waiting ambulance. R100 returned to the Stornoway base after a re-fuel and food for the crew.
The flight commenced at 06:28 and landed back at Stornoway at 16:30. The crew flew two sectors with refuels at the CHC Ireland base at Sligo and at the remote refuel site at Blacksod; a total of 9hrs 21mins, total distance 971.6nm or 1799.2km.
All the CHC team at Stornoway are to be congratulated on an outstanding and groundbreaking SAR mission. It was also noted that communications between all involved were excellent.
Thanks also go to the CHC Irish SAR team at Sligo, the lighthouse keepers at Blacksod for a rapid refuel (just under 4 mins ), MCA MRCCs at Stornoway, Clyde and Mallan Head, the MCA "Top cover aircraft" Rescue 404 and of course the RAF Kinloss ARCC coordinating team for their support. As Captain Ian Campbell said at his debrief "it was great and very reassuring to see all the elements of the SAR team pulling together."
Full disclosure: I am an employee of CHC Helicopter who also bid on this UK SAR contract but lost. We are involved in "Gap SAR" with Bristow which will operate for the next few years until Bristow fully takes over the contract.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 10:03   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Now if that helicopter had been based in Southern Ireland there would have been nothing to write about.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 13:24   #8

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

So the bankrupt uk is contracting out so what funds they have leave the country into private profit hands? Excellent, the 1% thank you again.
Traffic cams here, Public Safety or Private Profit? You can be sure which it is.
Public Parking is no longer either.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 18:09   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Now if that helicopter had been based in Southern Ireland there would have been nothing to write about.
Yes there CHC Already have the contract ! , thank god Ireland has the RNLI too. Mind you reports are that CHC is doing a good job

So I hear Williams being made redundant , good god the kid will grow up with two unemployed parents , good to see the monarchy keeping in touch with the proletariat.!!

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 04:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'd rather be rescued by the UK SAR guys using the Hi-line technique, than the swimming/fishing net method as practiced by the USCG, which seems bonkers by comparison.

sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 05:03   #11
Nearly an old salt

The one thing I never understand with US rescues, is , It seems, and I stand to be corrected here, that many rescues require you to enter the water to get into the basket. Surely cold water immersion is a big issue, it certainly would "round here".

Dave
Old 22-04-2013, 15:02   #12

Boat: Norseboat 17.5
USCG not amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
I'd rather be rescued by the UK SAR guys using the Hi-line technique, than the swimming/fishing net method as practiced by the USCG, which seems bonkers by comparison.
I was struck by how stable the boat was in that video, and how instrumental crew aboard the sailboat were in making that transfer safe and easy. Seems to me, the US method adheres to KISS principles, and allows for one evolution type to cover myriad scenarios.

I recognize that the cold-water-immersion issue is extremely important, and must be taken into account when this sort of rescue is planned. But you have to admire how the US method takes the skill, mental state, and physical ability of the distressed crew out of the equation to effect a difficult rescue in rough water.

I am sure, on a calm day in cold waters, the USCG would at least consider a dry rescue technique. Similarly, if the sailboat in the vid were rolling 40 degrees port and starboard while navigating 20 ft waves, I doubt the RN rescue diver would agree to the hi-line technique.
phillysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 15:46   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysailor View Post

I was struck by how stable the boat was in that video, and how instrumental crew aboard the sailboat were in making that transfer safe and easy. Seems to me, the US method adheres to KISS principles, and allows for one evolution type to cover myriad scenarios.

I recognize that the cold-water-immersion issue is extremely important, and must be taken into account when this sort of rescue is planned. But you have to admire how the US method takes the skill, mental state, and physical ability of the distressed crew out of the equation to effect a difficult rescue in rough water.

I am sure, on a calm day in cold waters, the USCG would at least consider a dry rescue technique. Similarly, if the sailboat in the vid were rolling 40 degrees port and starboard while navigating 20 ft waves, I doubt the RN rescue diver would agree to the hi-line technique.
Choppers lift you off in all conditions , in water rescue is only done if you are in the water already

Dave
Old 22-04-2013, 15:47   #14

Boat: Norseboat 17.5

wow. just wow.
phillysailor is offline   Reply With Quote