Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 13:14   #46

Re: Two people dead after sailboat capsized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The thing about them wanting to go together was tasteless.
Yes. Quite a leap, wasn't it?

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 13:21   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
I question whether a marked channel into a bay or harbor qualifies merely as an “inlet.” The entrance to Winchester (see #41), the Umpqua River channel, is marked with sea buoys and protected by jetties with a maintained 26 ft of depth. There is a bar, of course, that is monitored. Perhaps not “pretty” but perhaps not mortally dangerous even in some rough weather. I suppose the locals would know when not to attempt it.
I think #42 summed up my thoughts .We can speculate till hell freezes over and will never know.
I hope they are happy where ever they are.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 13:36   #48

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Same take away I had. I was just looking a a boat to buy near by there. I read a lot about crossing the Columbia river bar. I wasn't looking forward to it and the 700 mile trek south. I'm glad the boat did not show well.
I used to tow between Texada island and Portland Oregon, about a 6 day complete turnaround which meant I crossed the Columbia River Bar at least twice every six days, all winter long.

Yes there were times when it was nasty, and a couple of times I would steam in large circles offshore waiting for the flood, but most of the time the bar was navigable by seaworthy sailboats. It has a bad reputation because many boats have been lost there, most of them long ago. Respect of the bar is healthy and wise, but fear of it is not. I remember in the Bahamas everyone spoke with fear of "Whale Cay Passage" because a small cargo lighter rolled coming through it once. I went through it many times in a 26 foot sailboat without an engine, but always watching the weather. Seamanship is knowledge and experience coupled with a great respect of the ocean.

Enjoy and respect the ocean.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 13:38   #49

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
The furled sails suggest an attempt to use the diesel as others have noted. To what purpose? The one coming to mind would be to enter a harbor in approaching darkness-Tillamook. A rapid demise close to shore while under power suggests engine failure with insufficient time to get the sails back up and get the boat moving. It's not uncommon for a diesel engine to stop due to the fuel filter clogging, and it cannot be quickly restarted.
Actually, from the picture, the mainsail appears reefed, not completely furled, and an apparent storm jib appears to be up. Should be enough, one would think, to keep the boat moving in strong wind, especially if heading up some (i.e., toward sea). Even if the diesel was running but then quit for whatever reason, it’s hard to see how the boat ended up in the surf zone unless disabled in some other way, including a disabled crew.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 13:39   #50

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I did.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/realtime2/46089.spec

October 3, all day 3 METERS = 12 feet+ at 12 seconds ALL DAY LONG.

I wouldn't go anywhere near there.

Sorry to hear of their sad ending.

3 meters is 9.8 feet.
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 13:53   #51

The conditions seem rather benign for that coast in October. (12 ft seas, 12 second period) So yeah, maybe something else started a bad sequence of things...

RIP. It's pretty sad.
You could have 20-30 foot seas and 50 mph winds in October /November out there.
Other boats have split the deck from the hull out there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 14:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I used to tow between Texada island and Portland Oregon, about a 6 day complete turnaround which meant I crossed the Columbia River Bar at least twice every six days, all winter long.

Yes there were times when it was nasty, and a couple of times I would steam in large circles offshore waiting for the flood, but most of the time the bar was navigable by seaworthy sailboats. It has a bad reputation because many boats have been lost there, most of them long ago. Respect of the bar is healthy and wise, but fear of it is not. I remember in the Bahamas everyone spoke with fear of "Whale Cay Passage" because a small cargo lighter rolled coming through it once. I went through it many times in a 26 foot sailboat without an engine, but always watching the weather. Seamanship is knowledge and experience coupled with a great respect of the ocean.

Enjoy and respect the ocean.

M
Yeah. I’ve heard a lot about the Oregon River bars when folks have been discussing the Pacific coast of North America. I’ve been looking at an Oregon coastal chart since this discussion began where I notice the river mouths marked with ATONs and protected by jetties that lead into bays and harbors that have marinas. Evidently, vessels exit and enter those harbors frequently. We don’t see bad weather every day along Pacific coast.

There’s a similar situation here with respect to Las Puntas as I call ‘em—Points Conception and Arguello. Northbound and southbound vessels pass by these points every year. A well-found sailboat with experienced crew can pass safely in a range of conditions. But if mentioned to the “average boater”, then something not to be even considered.

There’s “reputation” and then there is actuality. Morro Bay and Ventura Harbor have the worst “reputations” in Southern California based on that there might be fog about, and that they are periodically closed during some storm conditions. But when they are not closed, they are safely passable.
Old 17-10-2021, 15:02   #53

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
There’s “reputation” and then there is actuality. Morro Bay and Ventura Harbor have the worst “reputations” in Southern California based on that there might be fog about, and that they are periodically closed during some storm conditions. But when they are not closed, they are safely passable.
Yep,, Morrow Bay can kick-up for sure.
This was many years ago, but I remember when It happened;
https://www.kcbx.org/travel/2017-07-...d-the-m-v-mojo
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 16:29   #54

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wonder how they know it capsized?

Jim

"Capsized" is what landlubbers say anytime they find a boat in the surf. Of course at that point it looks like it "capsized". To us, capsized means something much different.
Old 17-10-2021, 16:38   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Yep,, Morrow Bay can kick-up for sure.
This was many years ago, but I remember when It happened;
https://www.kcbx.org/travel/2017-07-...d-the-m-v-mojo
Just an antic that media uses to get you to click the pop-up ads of their sponsors, etc. A day or two later and it probably was not like that.
Old 17-10-2021, 17:09   #56

Very sad story indeed.

There are always lessons to be learned. Experienced sailors would have given the coast a wide clearance until nearly abeam the Tillamook entrance, but the boat grounded north of there. The fact they did not call for help indicates it's likely they did not notice how close they were to shore until it was too late - the boat already caught in surf. Something, either an injury, sickness, fatigue or mechanical problem, must have distracted them for long enough that a course change went un-noticed.

The lesson for us is that when sailing along a coast or among islands, especially at night, use all the navigation tools at your disposal on a regular schedule without fail, to monitor your course and position.

Much sympathy to their families and friends.
Old 18-10-2021, 23:19   #57

Boat: Herreschoff Diddikai 39

The Jib was all dirty before they left. There was also a dodger he had built with fiberglass over wood(now gone).
fgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 23:21   #58

Boat: Herreschoff Diddikai 39

Does the guy who was in radio contact know what happened?
fgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 08:39   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
looks like it might be a good example of waiting till you have to step up into the life raft

Right. This boat didn't lose it's rig and it didn't sink, so it was never rolled in the surf. Would they have survived if they stayed below deck or in the cockpit? It always amazes me how most boats on beaches come ashore in one piece, but the crew either leaves them on purpose or falls off at some point. I think a lesson to be learned.
Old 19-10-2021, 09:15   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Right. This boat didn't lose it's rig and it didn't sink, so it was never rolled in the surf. Would they have survived if they stayed below deck or in the cockpit? It always amazes me how most boats on beaches come ashore in one piece, but the crew either leaves them on purpose or falls off at some point. I think a lesson to be learned.
So counter-intuitive it would be to go below when it becomes clear that the boat will be driven ashore. Reminiscent of what we hear about how to handle stalled aircraft—i.e., to dive rather than to pull up, etc. But yes, crew separated from the boat typically have it worse than those remaining aboard according to incident reports that I’ve read. The sailboat is not going to sink in the “surf zone” and probably will not roll over, it being too shallow. A rough and scary ride going in to be sure, but if the boat doesn’t break up one would walk away. Also, it was a beach and not a rocky shore where it might get lifted and pounded repeatedly until it did break up. How do folks “plan” for these types of calamities? Apparently, in this kind of situation, one would need a PFD with crotch a harness, from one report I read. To keep it from coming off while tumbling in the surf if in the water.

Tags
boat, capsize, sail, sailboat, size