Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 21:46   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Three Sailors Rescued by USCG off Oregon

It can be pretty hard to think straight when you are rattled, terrified and likely sea-sick too. It takes a calm, and experienced, personality to keep their heads clear when things go bad in 20 foot breaking swells and things start to break. Still I agree it looks like they may have had some other options available.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 22:43   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Would be willing to bet the prop was fouled by the sheets from the shredded headsail. Probably tried to start the engine without clearing the lines from the water. That line could also have jammed the rudder but who knows. May have started engine without thinking when the headsail shredded and the main boom or needed reefing.

Had the pleasure of having to clear a line from around the prop off Monterey. The cold water left my hands with no feeling with in a few minutes which made a relatively minor job into a survival exercise. No wonder they weren't able to clear the prop fouling.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 23:09   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Would be willing to bet the prop was fouled by the sheets from the shredded headsail. Probably tried to start the engine without clearing the lines from the water. That line could also have jammed the rudder but who knows. May have started engine without thinking when the headsail shredded and the main boom or needed reefing.

Had the pleasure of having to clear a line from around the prop off Monterey. The cold water left my hands with no feeling with in a few minutes which made a relatively minor job into a survival exercise. No wonder they weren't able to clear the prop fouling.
This is what I suspect too.

My guess: Loose sheets wrapped the prop while motor sailing and then bound the rudder or jammed it, which could lead to an accidental gybe, and broken boom,etc.

But, I think other things like Ann's scenario are possible too. A loss of steering could quickly lead to a bad gybe and lots of problems.

The lack of electricity and radio sounds odd. I don't recall any mention of the boat taking on water.

Clearing a prop in cold water, big seas, and poor weather or at night would be either intimidating, very difficult, dangerous, or impossible.
------

I am struck by how familiar this boats problem sounds. I know there was another very similar case a few years ago, in what I remember as the same location (roughly) that involved a similar sized sailboat with a delivery crew of 3 that were in a rescue for similar reasons. I wish I had a link to that to compare now.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 23:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Can anyone say what that is hanging from the bow of the boat?

Does the boom look broken to you guys?

Was the steering hydraulic?

Seems none of them had the skills to rescue themselves....poor guys.

Ann
Yup. 100%. Just aft of the boom vang. Click the photos shown at the top left of the page. Photos 5, 6, and 8 clearly show the snapped boom.

Like someone else opined, "No spare sails?"

Firm believer of having a genset on a yacht. Redundancy is the spice of life.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 23:50   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I am struck by how familiar this boats problem sounds. I know there was another very similar case a few years ago, in what I remember as the same location (roughly) that involved a similar sized sailboat with a delivery crew of 3 that were in a rescue for similar reasons. I wish I had a link to that to compare now.
Last year, or maybe the year before last, one happened along the NSW Coast, here in Oz. It was a recently re-fit large Moody, and it was the kevlar "anchor" rode for a waverider buoy which had been blown and floated off station that they fouled: the line cut through the rudder, leading to the sad loss of the "Apollo", I think it was called...

A fouled prop would be very hard to deal with in water of that cold temp, and if whatever fouled it was metal, near hopeless. I must say, if the first event in the cascade was from trying to start the engines with line in the water, those poor guys must have missed one of their first lessons. Or, was it an independent "helpful" crew action without the skipper's knowledge? Once the boom broke (thanks, guys, for spotting the break), they would have a lot less roll dampening because of having to strike the main, and the rolling would have made everything more difficult.

FWIW, I'd think that if the headsail had gone first, then they would have retrieved the lines, in the beginning, when they could get to them, because why lose them? So, to me, the headsail had to go first, if it were the sheets that fouled the prop. The headstay looked okay, but my assumption was that the furling quit working, and if they couldn't turn it by hand, from that moment, the sail was going to be history. Therefore, why did the boom break? Well, maybe, if the headsail UN-furled all the way first, then the boat was over powered, rolled down, bringing the apparent wind forward, which caused an accidental gybe. That scenario would work for me.

Anybody got any ideas about the unknown [to me] object hanging from the bow?

Someone above wrote that experience is cool to have in one's bag of tricks. That's really true, it can help you work out alternatives, but it is also true that sometimes, the bag of tricks comes up empty.

Not enough info, imho.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:36   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Last year, or maybe the year before last, one happened along the NSW Coast, here in Oz. It was a recently re-fit large Moody, and it was the kevlar "anchor" rode for a waverider buoy which had been blown and floated off station that they fouled: the line cut through the rudder, leading to the sad loss of the "Apollo", I think it was called...
It was "Red Sky" IIRC.

The boat was abandoned but did not sink. Washed up on a beach and was totally stripped by locals. Owner had no insurance. Guy had his whole life savings tied up in the boat. Very sad story.

However, he did actually get back on the water somehow, and posted about it on here. Grit and determination
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37   #37

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:

A fouled prop would be very hard to deal with in water of that cold temp, and if whatever fouled it was metal, near hopeless. I must say, if the first event in the cascade was from trying to start the engines with line in the water, those poor guys must have missed one of their first lessons. Or, was it an independent "helpful" crew action without the skipper's knowledge? Once the boom broke (thanks, guys, for spotting the break), they would have a lot less roll dampening because of having to strike the main, and the rolling would have made everything more difficult.

FWIW, I'd think that if the headsail had gone first, then they would have retrieved the lines, in the beginning, when they could get to them, because why lose them? So, to me, the headsail had to go first, if it were the sheets that fouled the prop. The headstay looked okay, but my assumption was that the furling quit working, and if they couldn't turn it by hand, from that moment, the sail was going to be history. Therefore, why did the boom break? Well, maybe, if the headsail UN-furled all the way first, then the boat was over powered, rolled down, bringing the apparent wind forward, which caused an accidental gybe. That scenario would work for me.

Anybody got any ideas about the unknown [to me] object hanging from the bow?

Someone above wrote that experience is cool to have in one's bag of tricks. That's really true, it can help you work out alternatives, but it is also true that sometimes, the bag of tricks comes up empty.

Not enough info, imho.
I am betting the reason it is blue is that it is the canvas sun cover sewn on the sail hanging in the water.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:23   #38

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Yes by far the most likely one of the early events in a cascade that led to the rescue,explains the tattered jib.
One doesn't just jump overboard with a knife in ones teeth, swim under a heaving ship , locate the problem,find the prop and start sawing away a knotted line wound so tight as to stop a running diesel.
The disabled craft will be rolling heavily and the descending hull trying to crush your skull .Must do this one handed because in the improbale event you are superhuman enough to arrive at the prop, your effort will push you away from the boat as you try to cut the tangle below (think scrubbing the waterline while swimming alongside). In the dark,in icy water, in stormy seas,while exhausted(you didn't think you were able to get all this done in one dive did you?)?
If there is a line cutter that failed to cut the line in the first place it will now be lacerating your hand if you have not already filled the water with blood from the razor sharp knife you dove over with. Well, that knife ,is already on it's way to the bottom now while you were busy trying to claw you way to the surface after running out of air.
Hope you remembered to tie yourself to the craft ,because it is disabled and those aboard will not be able to get you back aboard anyway. So its death by hypothermia or sharks.
One might gather from the above that I've had some experience in the above described clusterf**k.
Somewhat.
So now my razor sharp knife is on a long lanyard around my neck so that I can do the cutting at arms length and let it go while clawing my way back to the surface and not loose the knife when it is let go.
However.
There is problem with this: The long lanyard allows the knife to hang between my legs as I desperately kick my way to the surface .

Just a convoluted way to say that I understand why help was called.

.......................luv you all................................mike........... ..............
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:32   #39

This is quite normal in this area, I've lost count on how many of these "rescues " have taken place over the years. In 95% of the cases it's down to a poorly prepared boat run by a poorly prepared skipper and crew. My advise on this forum has always been, if your short on experience then coastal hop it by day sailing between fishing villages, in most cases you will motor most of the way. If you are experienced and have a decent boat go out 70 to 100 miles and get in some sailing. The real question to ask is what would you do if Uncle Sam wasn't around to save your ass? These higher latitudes are not to be confused with doing an ARC to the Caribbean, not the same kind of sailing. The Pacific high and the deep inland lows can really get the gears turning in this area and produce some very exciting sailing. There are many boats that make this journey every year without becoming poster boys and most of it gets down to good prep and good seamanship.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:00   #40

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The Washington/Oregon coast is treacherous. Shallow bars, short weather windows, few places to hide. If a person plans that trip your vessel better be ready and crew as well. Not warm and fuzzy. Many do it, many get beat up. It's seems a few of the 6 "P"'s were missing in this case. Cautionary tale.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:28   #41

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It would be great if there ends up being a follow-up so we can find out how close we were on our conjectures. I'll throw one more in: line wraps the prop shaft and prop shaft pulls out and jams rudder. Diving with a knife in your teeth won't do much for that. (So Mike, are you singing in the soprano section now?)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:20   #42

Better photo in this article confirms it was the sail in the water.

Sailboat crew rescued after 3 days adrift | Sailing News - soSAILize.net
Old 11-06-2016, 10:48   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is the text of a linked report and the USCG photo of the cutter that towed them closer to port.

Notice the wording on the series of events. Of course we don't know how accurate this account is, but sometimes you have to take some reports for what you can.

"North Bend, Ore. — Marc Winn says he’s lucky to be alive. Winn was sailing from Washington to California with two other crew members and their dog. On Monday morning, their boat lost steering, just as the wind picked up, and a storm hit.

Winn says the storm knocked out their power, tattered their sails, and snapped their boom completely in half. The crew was helpless. Winn says all they could do was wait and try not to lose hope as their boat drifted farther and farther away from shore.

Winn said, “We loved each other. Read a little bit, what we could, but you just can’t focus on reading.”

On the third day, now 60 miles off shore, a ray of hope; Winn says the clouds parted, hitting the boat’s solar panels, giving them just enough power to call for help.

Todd Holt, who was aboard the “Rogues Scholarship”, said, “I blasted off a signal and nothing came back. I waited another hour and blasted off another one and the coast guard came back and we were pretty stoked.”

Rescue swimmer Bradley Pigage from Sector North Bend was lowered into the water to let them know that help was on its way. “They were pretty happy to see the Coast Guard. It was pretty extraordinary to have all the assets on scene. We had 2 helicopters launched, a C27 from Sacramento, small boat stationed and the cutter that was out there,” said Pigage.

The crew finally made back on dry land Wednesday night."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	125944  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58   #44

From seeing that picture I am betting their prop was fouled with the sail, they should have either pulled that sail on board or cut it free before trying to start the motor.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:13   #45

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The report was very clear that they ran over a sheet when trying to maneuver with the engine and no steering.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, rescue, sail, sailboat