Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2018, 21:32   #106
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: The GGR race, discussion and news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Enjoying Dons video discussions. He explains a fair bit of the behind the scenes stuff, and you get a good insight into the thought process and passion behind the event.

Looks like Istavan is in an interesting situation. He used his satphone to organise a replacement windvane (monitor) and so is relegated to the chichester class, but anchored outside the port and didn't wait for it to arrive before setting sail again. So technically he may still achieve the non stop part. But hasn't adhered to the GGR rules on satphone use.

Hopefully this means he has resolved the issues with his windpilot.
yeah was wondering about that. don said the new vane was all ready set to be delivered via DHL. even if he sorted out his vane problem an elected to not change it why wouldnt he go into the marina and chill for a bit, have a beer before going back out? i get the feeling he thinks he's still in the race. Don seems the type that would have made it clear though that any help via sat phone was automatic withdrawal not to mention the fact he said he was withdrawing. kinda confusing situation. Maybe the vane didnt arrive and are planning to replace in hobart?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 00:08   #107

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I think the main goal is the non stop element. Everything else is less important. I guess he is thinking he can always reevaluate at cape town if need be.

It does show the stresses some of the skippers can be under. Irstan wasn't at all happy in the canaries apparantly, Saying if it wasn't for sponsers he would withdraw .

The great thing about this race is that winning is not really what it is about, it is (for most) a personal challenge, and just completing it is the real goal. The rules are to set the tone, safety, cost, and create a level playing field. But in Irstans case, sailing in the chichester class but maintaining his non-stop status sounds like a good way to go.
Old 25-07-2018, 01:15   #108

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Thanks for the updates. I can see that you are really into this race. I am too but to a lesser degree. I check most days to see who is where etc and what the weather might be doing. There's a lot that will be happening over the coming months no doubt. What really interests me is how Stanley Paris will do on his 4th attempt. Apparently it will be his last. Don't think I would like to try this at 80 as there is enough pain already at 74 and we all know that at this age we have in fact fallen off a cliff.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 02:23   #109

^^ thanks Pickles and Jessie, I had forgotten about Stanley Paris. I guess he will get underway in October/November or so. Its a very complex and big boat to keep running non stop around the world, let alone at 80, but best of luck to him this time. It will be interesting to see how he fares compared to the more modest boats in the GGR.
Old 25-07-2018, 03:33   #110

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Another modest boat with a modest bloke doing stuff that most would not consider....

Westabout round the Horn in May?.... rather him than me... currently off Tahiti and says he is going to have another go at it...

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/lea...ion/444854#top

Worth checking his history which aparently goes back to arriving in the Falklands in a rudderless Triton in about 1976... https://www.sailblogs.com/member/leaucommotion/392245
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 03:43   #111

https://www.sailingworld.com/Golden-...Mju5.01#page-4

Not a bad read. Good to hear he has a helmet. Also seems like he has a windpilot auxilary rudder. Prehaps the boat would steer better with the windpilot hooked up to that rather than his main rudder?
http://windpilot.com/n/wind/en/prod/sosr/

Also sounds like the tradewinds have had some rigging issues overall. Might just be a coincidence. But Shane freeman lost his, Kevin was scared by the noises his made and Istvan had to reinforce his deck.
Old 25-07-2018, 04:06   #112
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
windpilot.
We did not have much success with our WindPilot. There were two problems - the aux rudder was poorly designed and snapped off several times, and the bearings were poorly designed and rapidly built up friction and the unit basically stopped working in light winds. There are several main 'sleeve' bearings, which salt and dirt run into and jam up (after about 10 days at sea), and the whole unit then really needs to be taken off the stern and completely taken apart and cleaned.

Our Monitor was a MUCH better unit. Although it cracked a stainless weld and had to be taken off and rewelded in Cape Town. So, neither managed to make it around without off the boat repairs.

I am surprised that JL tacked back to the east. If I had been him or Peche I think I would have been putting up a fast close reaching sail and covering Slats to consolidate the gains they had over him (they may not know exactly where Slats is, but they surely know that someone would have taken the more standard westerly track). They seem to be allowing him to sail into stronger winds. But we shall see.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 04:14   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Another modest boat with a modest bloke doing stuff that most would not consider....

Westabout round the Horn in May?.... rather him than me... currently off Tahiti and says he is going to have another go at it...

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/lea...ion/444854#top

Worth checking his history which aparently goes back to arriving in the Falklands in a rudderless Triton in about 1976... https://www.sailblogs.com/member/leaucommotion/392245
Thanks Ping, love this kind of stuff. Very impressive, and not the most hardcore boat either! Looks like he has dealt with a huge amount of issues. One tough fella who wont give up!

The Triton 24 in the falklands story sounds intriguing. And a good tale of a series drogue as well here.

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/leaucommotion/392279
Old 25-07-2018, 05:15   #114

Thanks Evans, I haven't played with either unit, so the feedback is interesting. What windpilot unit did Hawk have? I take it it was a plus unit with the aux rudder from your description.

This race is going to be a real testbed for windvanes. Looking forward to seeing how they compare, in many cases the same boats have different units.

My old Fleming was bulletproof, shame no boats seem to have them. I had it on both my boats. I now have a stainless one similar to a windpilot/sailomat to test out on the new boat. If I am not happy with it I will go back to the Fleming.

The list of vanes from memory in the GGR

Hydrovane
Windpilot
Beau fort
Aires
Monitor

Have I missed any?

The triton 24 trip is briefly described here
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/leaucommotion/448010
The more I read of this guy the more impressed I am. He certainly has what it will take to complete the GGR. Thanks for the heads up Ping.
Old 25-07-2018, 05:28   #115

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I was just thinking that the biggest winners in this race are going to be a couple of the windvane manufacturers.

When people like Mark Sinclair remark that they haven’t touched the tiller since the start line it grabs your attention.
Old 25-07-2018, 06:21   #116

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Both boats ran the windpilot to a wheel. This always adds a fair bit of friction to the system. I am very surprised they didn't change over to tillers for the GGR.

A wheel system is actually easier on a monitor in my experience. While there is some friction (and more or less depending on how you run the lines to the wheel), the mechanical advantage that the steering quadrant provides puts less stress on the gears and bearings, relatively speaking.

I personally prefer a wheel offshore single handing. While you have less feel and more mechanical complexity, it’s just less tiring over the long haul and in certain situations.
Old 25-07-2018, 09:06   #117
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
I think the main goal is the non stop element. Everything else is less important. I guess he is thinking he can always reevaluate at cape town if need be.

It does show the stresses some of the skippers can be under. Irstan wasn't at all happy in the canaries apparantly, Saying if it wasn't for sponsers he would withdraw .

The great thing about this race is that winning is not really what it is about, it is (for most) a personal challenge, and just completing it is the real goal. The rules are to set the tone, safety, cost, and create a level playing field. But in Irstans case, sailing in the chichester class but maintaining his non-stop status sounds like a good way to go.
Yeah good point. In Istvan's case he has already done the sail with one stop. I do remember him saying his personal goal was now to do it non-stop hence his reason for entering the golden globe. You might be exactly right. technically he might know he's in chichester class but may still be sailing for that personal record now.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 09:42   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What windpilot unit did Hawk have? I take it it was a plus unit with the aux rudder from your description.
yea, a Pacific Plus - worked pretty well when it was working, but as I mentioned above the design had two pretty big flaws.

JL, still on easterly tack - clearly wants to be most eastern boat - I find that a bit odd but he surely knows what he is doing.

Peche's boat speed back up, a little faster and same course as Slats atm. The routing has them pretty much dead even. The way the ridges are forecast to develop they are both forced to take almost the exact same course and are now pushed down a bit further south (to 36).

Peche:
Click image for larger version

Name:	peche.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	174325

Slats:
Click image for larger version

Name:	slats.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	174326
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 19:35   #119

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

The more I read of this guy the more impressed I am. He certainly has what it will take to complete the GGR. Thanks for the heads up Ping.[/QUOTE]

Any idea if he stopped anywhere for help etc? Can't open the tracker on the site and his blogs don't seem to mention stopping so it looks like he will succeed this time, and in a Northshore 38? I used to do the fitouts for Northshore years ago and they weren't considered offshore boats.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 20:22   #120

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
The more I read of this guy the more impressed I am. He certainly has what it will take to complete the GGR. Thanks for the heads up Ping.
Any idea if he stopped anywhere for help etc? Can't open the tracker on the site and his blogs don't seem to mention stopping so it looks like he will succeed this time, and in a Northshore 38? I used to do the fitouts for Northshore years ago and they weren't considered offshore boats.[/QUOTE]

Neither were Tritons

Arrived in Falklands in the Triton with no rudder... circa 76?

Arrived in the Falklands with damage sustained off the Horn in 2016(?)... sold that boat there...

Put back to the Falklands a few months ago with damage sustained off the Horn in his present boat. Fixed her up and continued ( present voyage ) ....

Says he is going to have another shot...... I think he is mid 70's.....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race