Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 08:16   #61

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Taleisin for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I agree about market prices vs costs however you can't compare a home in Detroit to a sailboat. Housing prices are a direct reflection of the incomes in that particular area..areas that have high incomes have high real estate prices.
It's not a perfect analogy but I think he was just making the point that what it would cost to replace Taleisin has little to do with its likely selling price. As a cruising boat, I think it's unlikely that it will sell for anything close to the asking price because it's very small and has almost no creature comforts and requires lots of maintenance. The type person who might think a boat like that is desirable to cruise in probably would, just as Larry and Lin did, either build it themselves to their own idea of perfect, or hire someone to do it for them if they had the money. I've been aboard Taleisin a couple of times, once at the Annapolis boat show and another time here in Maine when they were cruising here, and it's absolutely a work of art inside and out, a unique, functional sculpture created by a master craftsman. I can't imagine any other boat of this size and type being its equal in terms of craftsmanship and carefully thought out functionality. But as much as I admire Taleisin as a work of art and the Pardy's for their sailing accomplishments, I wouldn't want to live aboard this boat for more than a day or two so it wouldn't be worthwhile for someone like me to buy it. But I hope that some (short) wealthy individual who DOES want to pursue a very simple cruising lifestyle pays them a decent price and more importantly, sails her and keeps Taleisin in the condition she deserves to be kept.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:27   #62

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

When I was slogging my guts out to build the family business I have many on an evening after a hard day sat with a glass of brandy and read of their exploits and they fuelled my dreams. I've no real interest sailing boats nor crossing blue watery deserts but their exploits fascinated me and I learnt a lot from their books.
Wherever and whatever they do I wish them Good Luck and thank them for giving me the inspiration.
As for selling their boat it's their business but I could sell you a fully equipped 33' aft cabin motor cruiser in the South of France with 3 month guarantee on engine and gearbox for 69,500 Euro's.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:30   #63

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
I believe the advertisement specified US dollars.

Dang -- you're right. I had scrolled right past the headline which plainly states US$, and saw this in the text of the ad:

"Exceptional offering for new stewardship,$175,000 (NZ)."

But that must just refer to the fact that it's currently located in New Zealand (?).
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:40   #64
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Why did someone eagerly pay $9,600,000 for this Brice Marden painting? Certainly the paint, canvas and stretcher couldnt have cost him that much!

They buy his paintings because they like how they look, they want to own something unique in the World, the artist enjoys widespread fame, and the buyer can afford it. Those of you pooh-poohing the idea that the boat isn't priced right are thinking of the wrong market. No one expects you to shell out the bucks for Taleisin.
Old 15-01-2014, 08:43   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
There is this not very well known sport called "ultra-marathon" running. Its an insane sport where a marathon is just a warmup and these "ultra-marathon" runners train and race over distances of 100, 200, 300 and more miles and more, and they do it NON-STOP.
Anyway, there is one Ultra-Marathoner called Dean Karnazez (sic?), and while he is a very good ultra-marathoner and has won some important races, he is not the best there is, or even in the top 10. BUT - he was a groundbreaker in that he wrote a book called "Ultramarathon Man" which became a besteller and had him appearing on talkshows like Letterman etc.
Because he became well known, famous in his field, and yes - rich, he earnt the ire of the better but lesser known Ultra-runners. They bytch and moan about him, call him an opinionated bigshot and all those things - but here is the thing: HE IS THE ONE THAT PUT HIMSELF OUT THERE, WROTE A BOOK, PROMOTED HIMSELF, GOT ON THE TALKSHOWS, AND MADE HIMSELF SOME GOOD MONEY DOING WHAT HE LOVED.

Do you see what I am getting at?

How much does he sell his old running shoes for ?
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:39   #66

The Pardeys are awesome, the value of anything is in the eye of the beholder. Iv only been into boating for almost 5 years and Im 24 "no expert sailor" and if there is one thing I know about boaters is that most of them are very quick to beleive their experiance makes them vastly experianced sailors and gives them the right to talk down to others about how the idea they have is wrong and they infact have the best way to go about it. like how stupid trying to sell that awesome boat for whatever price is. I cant even think of how many plactic boat guys have "given me advice" on my wooden spars like they actualy know what they are talking about. point is, why do so many feel the need to so strongly push their ideas on others, why cant people be happy for the pardeys and what they have done? instead its just a buch of people showing how smart they are in that they would never pay that much for a boat. makes me think of the people that hate on my girl friend and I when we are out happily dancing because they dont feel as easy with them selfs as we do, and need to justify to themselfs that we are infact stupid or whatever.
If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. the world doesnt need people constatly raining on other peoples parades, just let them be happy and think their boat is worth what ever.
sorry a bit of a rant, just tired of miserable people trying to bring happy awesome people like the Pardeys down for whatever.
clipper059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:58   #67

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Anybody with boatbuilding experience got an estimate as to what it would cost to duplicate Taleisin today?
The boat next to me in our club is a beautiful woodie. Mahogany planks. Every year he has to replace one or so and laments about the cost of mahogany saying that if he could sell his boat plank by plank he'd have a fortune. As far as the whole boat, not much.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:14   #68

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

If it were me selling that boat I would try to find a young couple without much money into cruising and can prove it by their skills and attitude and sell it to them at a fair price. Never met Lin or Larry but from what I have read they are nice people. They have been extremely gifted with their journey thru life. In the end it would be nice to try to pass a little of that to somebody else. But I also do not know their circumstances either.
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 11:15   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Why did someone eagerly pay $9,600,000 for this Brice Marden painting? Certainly the paint, canvas and stretcher couldnt have cost him that much!

They buy his paintings because they like how they look, they want to own something unique in the World, the artist enjoys widespread fame, and the buyer can afford it. Those of you pooh-poohing the idea that the boat isn't priced right are thinking of the wrong market. No one expects you to shell out the bucks for Taleisin.
I doodled something similar on my notepad while I was on the phone the other day, maybe I just threw away a few million when I scrunched it up and binned it. Damn.

All joking aside - you are bang on the mark.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:30   #70

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

As others have aluded, Taleisin is more properly a work of art, designed by a legend and hand built by a craftsman, not a purpose-built production yacht. Is she 'worth' $175K? I'd say she's worth whatever someone pays for her.

And if you think you can scribble 'art' and sell it for $$, I'd invite you to go and do so.

I hope they get what they're asking, and I hope the buyer is pleased with the purchase, but that's just me.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:31   #71

Quote:
I agree about market prices vs costs however you can't compare a home in Detroit to a sailboat. Housing prices are a direct reflection of the incomes in that particular area..areas that have high incomes have high real estate prices.
A cheaply built home in a popular area will cost more than a top of the line home in an unpopular area.

A cheap mass production clorax bottle boat of a popular model is worth more than a work of art wood boat that no one is buying.

It's exactly the same comparison. You are just trading the variable "popular location" in a property vs "ease of maintenance and functionality" in a boat.

If your goal is to get ahold of teak and mohogany, go around to boat yards and offer to cart away the old wood boats. I bet you get a lot of exotic wood for little to nothing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:39   #72

Your making assumptions...that a work of art wood sailboat is worth less than a cheap production boat. Neither of us is qualified to make that assumption so both of us will just have to wait and see. The Pardeys were able to sell their first wood boat, a little 24 footer for enough money to buy 2 acres of water front property in New Zealand so they have some experience in this game.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:44   #73

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Quote:
Your making assumptions...that a work of art wood sailboat is worth less than a cheap production boat. Neither of us is qualified to make that assumption so both of us will just have to wait and see. The Pardeys were able to sell their first wood boat, a little 24 footer for enough money to buy 2 acres of water front property in New Zealand so they have some experience in this game.
I know you're not writing to me, but I'd say that you're BOTH qualified to make that assumption, for yourselves.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:52   #74

Fair enough, I'm not a woody fan so I would not write a cheque of any size for a wooden sailboat BUT the fellow we bought our boat from did just that so I know there are people who appreciate the earthiness in owning a wood sailboat but I have no idea of what the values really are.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:16   #75

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Taleisin is a clasic, like many things in this life , they tend to disappear, it happen with many classics in the past, just imagine if the Penduick association decide to put the Old Penduick in the market, i guess for a huge sum, the big J endeavour rest many years ago in a scrapeyard and sold it for a fortune, or a fine example, the S&S Dorade...

I am not scandalized for 175000Nz$ , thanks to people who dont bother to pay this kind of money we can see in harbours and places around of the world this fine examples of beautiful boats, kinda the same like old cars, a old ferrari cost a fortune, but you can spend hours wachting the details and the attention, same for a boat, Taleisin can end in a museum, or just in a marina, or the new owners can set sail again, who know, is just a fine example of old craftmanship owned by 2 exceptional individuals.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, sale