Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 12:12   #16

Boat: Baba40
A couple of answers to your questions:

1) Yes, our anchor light is ALWAYS on at night, whether on a mooring or a hook. Our cockpit light was also on since we were out in the cockpit and cabin lights were also on. Eva had their anchor light on as well.

2) It was a full moon but overcast. I couldn't see Eva (the other boat) that night without a light and the night after when it was clear I could.

3) The Gendarme nearly laughed when Rob questioned him about liability. Apparently we are neither in Lake County, California nor La Cruz, Mexico! He will be charged for our repair costs (which are about $500), but we're told there's no money there.

4) We did get a visa extension out of the French (but really this is the hard way to get it and I wouldn't recommend this course for anyone else wanting one).

5) The searchlight didn't blind him - he wasn't looking in our direction at all and we didn't shine it on him for more than just a second. We shone it on him as he was speeding past us and he turned into our bow likely trying to pass in front of us.

6) He did not lose his arm. He's out of the hospital now.

7) Our only damage was bent stanchoins which were repaired in Raiatea yesterday and lifelines which were ordered from Tahiti. We'll inspect for structural as suggested by Jim but our dinghy, lifelines, and his plywood boat took the force of the impact. Babas are built like brick you-know-what houses.

Teresa
Yohelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:19   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Teresa, and welcome to Cruisers Forum. We're glad you two weren't hurt in the collision, and that your boat came through it with minimal injuries.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:19   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohelah View Post

3) The Gendarme nearly laughed when Rob questioned him about liability. Apparently we are neither in Lake County, California nor La Cruz, Mexico! He will be charged for our repair costs (which are about $500), but we're told there's no money there.

Teresa
Welcome Teresa!

Only in California can the obviously completely innocent be thought of as partially or fully responsible. Fortunately for you guys, California does not have colonies in the South Pacific.

I am really glad to see none of the innocent were injured. I hope things work out for you and soon.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:32   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Teresa, we're pleased to have you join us. Sorry it's under the present circumstances, but we're delighted to have an on-scene report from one of the actual participants.

It will be interesting to learn the details as you proceed with your repairs and, hopefully, are made whole by the drunken fool. Now that you've joined us, please keep us up-to-date on the situation. And, after you're finally underway out of the Îles de la Société, we'd welcome your continued participation here on our Forum. I know you will have accumulated a wealth of valuable experience that would be of benefit to all CF members.

Again welcome.

TaoJones
Old 08-08-2009, 12:40   #20

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
This seems to be a pretty good advertisement for the sturdiness of a Baba 40.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 13:49   #21

Extent of damage

Since Jim Graham repeated his email here I'll answer it here also, and thanks to Jim for the information. I'll also post this info in our blog.

We've received a lot of very good advice from many people who've read about our encounter with a speedboat. As a result we will be taking a careful look at the inside of the hull and our bulkheads to ensure there is no hidden damage. I believe additional damage is unlikely because of the nature of the impact.

The speedboat hit us at half the speed he hit Eva, probably because of operator and boat damage. Our AB Aluminum RIB was hanging on our port side with the tubes just below the cap rail, tied fore and aft. The speedboat hit the inflatable first, flipping it sideways as seen in the first photo we posted. I believe the deep vee bow of the inflatable pushed the speed boat up and forward, impacting our cap rail and lifelines. The energy of the collision was dissipated through our lifelines and stanchion and by the shredding of the plywood hull as it chewed its way over our bulwarks. We really didn't have a classic T-bone with the bone jarring impact as reported by Eva. In fact, when the boat hit us we felt no boat movement at all.

Inspection of our inflatable revealed one small dent on the bottom near the tube/hull join, not worth repairing. The next time I have hypalon glue mixed I'll probably slap a patch over the slight abrasion in the hypalon.

Someone mentioned that since this is a mooring field an anchor light isn't necessary. While that's true for legal purposes we always light ours in the hopes that we will be seen. It's interesting that the gendarme investigating the accident didn't ask either of us if we were lit, although I think I volunteered the info in my statement.

Our damage has been luckily minor, thankfully due to the nature of the impact and the construction of both boats.

Rob Sicade
SV Yohelah
Old 08-08-2009, 17:05   #22

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Hi,

I was joking about the anchor light being on or off because of the Lake County case where they seem to be placing nearly all the importance on that. As if the only way to see a boat is by the light bulb.

My whole post was just a joke about the Lake County case, which is such a ridiculous case. Those officials should be in jail for the way they are handling the case and abusing power.

I apologize for any confusion or feelings I may have stirred about your accident.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 21:47   #23

No apologies necessary, and no extra emotions stirred. We agree completely with you about how ridiculous the Lake County case is.

Teresa
Old 10-08-2009, 20:17   #24

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Last night was a full moon. Was it overcast? I guess it makes no difference if one is stupid.
Nope, not a bit of difference;
After reading this entire thread, nobody noted whether they tested him for alcohol intoxication (the motor boat operator)?
(just an additional twist on "stupid" in my mind)

Would guarantee there's $500. worth of "Something" left of that wood boat, if nothing other than the motor?

Never operate a vessel in an anchorage or mooring field at a speed faster than You want to run in to something...even "stupid" should know that much.

Glad nobody was hurt seriously in the end and that Your stanchions/lifelines were an easy fix Yohelah, & welcome... please keep us posted on the outcome.
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 20:29   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
Never operate a vessel in an anchorage or mooring field at a speed faster than You want to run in to something...even "stupid" should know that much.
Unless, of course, you're the Chief Deputy of the County Sheriff's Department, a close personal friend of the District Attorney and in the same Masonic Lodge with the DA's chief investigator.

TaoJones
Old 10-08-2009, 23:44   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Glad those damage appears minimal and that the authorities co-operated sensibly with granting visa extensions.

It would seem to me that this is a textbook example of “Force Majeure” under internationally accepted Marine Law, since the vessel had been made unseaworthy due to actions beyond your control.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor