Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which date suits you best?
July 12/13 3 100.00%
July 26/27 0 0%
August 16/17 0 0%
August 23/24 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 11:08   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
SF Bay Rendevous

David M and I have discussed organinzing a Rendevous for Cruisers Forum members their families and anyone else who wants to show up. As part of the organizational process we are throwing out dates in a poll format. If you would like to make the event and one of these dates works then answer it in the poll. Our first thought for location is Angel Island Ayala Cove. If this gets difficult or too big we may have to move it but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 14:46   #2

Obviously since I picked the dates they are all good for me. There must be some interest in this?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 11-04-2008, 15:51   #3

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Sounds fine - keep me posted.
Old 11-04-2008, 19:43   #4
Kai Nui

Not as easy for me as the pumpkin festival in HMB, but I will shoot for it.
Old 18-04-2008, 17:16   #5

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
All dates EXCEPT Aug 16-17 work for me. None is favored, so I didn't put in a vote above. I would be a yes in all of the other three.

It might be fun to make it a floating "pot luck" --- our Long Beach crowd had lots of fun with this, either all meeting ashore with our offerings, or more sportingly, attempting to travel via dinghy between boats for servings and eating in a floating raft of dinghies (not as good with kids and pets, but if mostly adults, wildly entertaining......)
Old 18-04-2008, 19:54   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
No particular preference for dates, but once it's settled in I'll see if we can make it and join the get together... Ayala might be a bit tough to get enough space on a summer weekend for a group though!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 20:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
No particular preference for dates, but once it's settled in I'll see if we can make it and join the get together... Ayala might be a bit tough to get enough space on a summer weekend for a group though!
Have to agree on the location. More than a couple boats and it can get pretty difficult. Maybe Aquatic Park or If someone has any other suggestions. McNears Beach China Camp. As we get closer I'll start a poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsaloft View Post
All dates EXCEPT Aug 16-17 work for me. None is favored, so I didn't put in a vote above. I would be a yes in all of the other three.

It might be fun to make it a floating "pot luck" --- our Long Beach crowd had lots of fun with this, either all meeting ashore with our offerings, or more sportingly, attempting to travel via dinghy between boats for servings and eating in a floating raft of dinghies (not as good with kids and pets, but if mostly adults, wildly entertaining......)
A potluck sounds great. I like the floating idea of it we'll just have to see how it works out.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 18-04-2008, 22:16   #8

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
I don't think powerboats are allowed in aquatic park.

No, I am not bringing my big boat so don't go out of the way for me.

I just thought I would remind you sail bote guys in case there are other powerboaters planning to go.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 22:38   #9

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
We have a 5'+ draft, so would shy away from McNears / China Camp.....we can only go in/out of our San Rafael Creek marina when tide is at +0.7 or higher due to the exit limiting shoal out at the turn into the channel. We also can't pull up to Sam's Dock at lower tides for the same reason (it is 4' at MLW). So -- we can work around and can anchor/dinghy over or drive or paddle kayaks if shallower locale is chosen.
Old 19-04-2008, 06:52   #10

Another option is to just anchor on the eastside of angel island. If we have power boaters than Aquatic Park is out. I'll have to look at old copies of Latitude 38 for there cruising issue. I've never crusied much in SF spent most of the time racing. I think we should be able to find a spot though. Wind's Aloft suggested Treasure Island. That could be a good spot. Let's try and get people then we'll decide where depending on how big the group gets and what type of boats.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 19-04-2008, 09:03   #11

Boat: Privilege 39
Another option is Paradise Cove along the east side of Tiburon, not far from Angel Island. It's more sheltered than the east side of Angel, and usually a ton of space, great holding in 10-15' of water. Can get really rolly when ships go up and down the channel though (raft up might be dicey).

I haven't been to Clipper Cove on TI, but from what I've heard from other folks it's a good option, if we can get in early enough on the weekend before it fills up. I understand it's well sheltered.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 12:13   #12

Sounds good Scotte:

Is there anyplace to land on shore at either of those two spots?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 19-04-2008, 12:51   #13

Hey Gang,
I find Angel Island is a matter of timing later in the afternoon >4pm ........most of the lunch boats leave & the last ferry heads off, so there's plenty of picnic & dock space.

It even works on July 4th & labor day.......which was a big surprise to me..............moorings are a different story.........as Sat night is popular

Like C just questioned.....some of the alternatives offered require dinghies or raft ups (uugh)
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 13:55   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Wish I was home to join you all. I think Angel Island with it's picnic tables, bbq's , docking, walking, biking, and even the train ride would make a great day. The road around the island gives you fog, sun, and beautiful views. Go in Friday afternoon, and grab a mooring for the weekend. Always a slip early Sat. morn, but you have to leave by sunset. Makes for a lovely evening trip home.

As far as anchoring on the east side of Angel I always found that pretty rolly. I understand Clipper Cove is a bit crowded with liveaboards, but that is just hearsay. I haven't been home in 2 years. At least the spots close to the leeward shore is taken up. There may be room for more anchoring out towards the mouth.

Oh yes, and I remeber there was no motoring in Aquatic Park. Is that still intact?

Well, I am green with envy.....lol have a great time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 BOATS & GG.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	3368  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 14:27   #15

Aquatic park rule has never been no motoring. It is no power boats. Sailboats can motor in but not motor boats. Don't no why and don't ask since I have always had sailboats. Wish you could join us. But Florida is a pretty nice spot too.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
sf bay