Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which date suits you best?
July 12/13 3 100.00%
July 26/27 0 0%
August 16/17 0 0%
August 23/24 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 10:40   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
I would not bet my keel on those depths shown.........there's some hints floating around incl published in Lat38's annual cruise the bay article..........
Again the issue there is getting ashore...........unless something has changed since the last time I was in there & sailed by................but that was a while ago.

There's a youth sailing center there in the summer so maybe .......also a bunch of derelict boats awhile back with no one(CG, Navy,SFPD) taking jurisdiction.
Agreed, and there is really not a lot ashore there.

-I think Ayala Cove would be best. But we have to get there early. There are both mooring buoys and docks.

-China Camp as a second choice since it is nice ashore there but there are no docks there.

-Clipper at YBI, third choice.

So what are you thinking at this point Charlie? Any other opinions, choices input?

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:44   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
Clipper Cove looks nice. Does it really get crowded?

N37 48.9
W122 22.0

I go in and out of there frequently. It is shallower than the datum shows. But a boat that draws 6 feet of water or so should not have a problem. Don't know about the crowds. I am mostly in there on the weekdays. This is not the prettiest place, (old navy base/ratty old marina on one side and a bridge under construction on the other side) and the winds blow like hell through here if its a typical summer wind pattern.

David

Old 08-05-2008, 11:08   #33

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Well I have been to all three places but anchored at none, so I defer to the experts.

I agree about the land facilities being better at Ayala or China Camp. I wasn't thinking about land at the time, I was thinking it was a raft up and it seemed that Clipper offered the most enclosed space for that.

I was surprised to see the date poll is closed after only 3 votes? But then again, it is better to just set a date sooner than later. I am ok with all the dates, but sooner than later is best.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11   #34
Kai Nui

My preference would be China Camp. Due to scheduling, our boat will (with any luck) be in Southern Ca. We will be on the windrider, and tent camping. Should add to the fun. Let some hard core mono guys tri out the multi world while we are there
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25   #35
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
For those with no boat. There are ferries from S.F & Marin. to Angel Island.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43   #36
Kai Nui

We do need to decide on a location soon enough that those who would want to camp, can get a site reserved. Not a big issue at China Camp, but Angle Island may be hard to get a spot.
The question was broached, but not decided, are we looking to have a dinner ashore? or do we want to raft up and keep the party on the boats? If the latter, who has a boat big enough to be th main boat?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45   #37

Boat: Beneteau
Hi everybody and thanks for the warm welcome.
I'm new here but appreciate the community and love to join the rendezvous. The voting seem not to work for me but July 12/13 works great for me - at least right now :-)

I draw 6.5 so probably not an issue most places but China Camp sounds like fun...

Can somebody help me understand what the event is about?
Thanks
Axel
Old 08-05-2008, 12:51   #38
Kai Nui

An opportunity to meet other people of like minds, drink heavily, eat well, and generally have a good time. And, if you don't drink, don't eat, well, at least you can swap stories with other sailors. Nothing better than that.
Old 08-05-2008, 16:24   #39

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Hi all:
As I'm berthed on the Oakland Estuary, I anchor in Clipper Cove any chance I get; it's secure but no camping (that I know of) or shoreside food.
Angle Is. is a Mecca and therefor usually crowded.
China Camp is fairly protected from the N/W wind but open to some ferry wake, lots of room, beach for picnick. I'm spending Memorial Day weekend there for R&R & can report more.
John
John
Old 08-05-2008, 19:16   #40

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sorry about the voting guys. I think that I had to pick a day that the poll would expire and I left it on for three or four weeks. If July 12/13 works for everyone that will be great. I think China Camp has the best combination of amenities. Angel Island would be better but it will be hard to get spots there for everyone. My boat is fairly distinctive in that it has a black hull and is a 40' long sailboat. Of course we can use the VHF and talk to everyone that way as well. Monitor 16 or 68 and just mention the Cruisers Forum. My boat is named Ohana. I draw 6'. If anyone has info on the best way to get there it would be nice to post it here. What do you think about having a pot luck on the beach or if it is calm enough we can do a big raft up.

Kai I will pick you and Karen up in my dink and can lend you a tandem kayak for transport. Well lets throw out ideas and see what sticks to the wall for the potluck.

Does anyone other than me have kids that they will be bringing?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 22:53   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Charlie,
I'm glad we have a date picked out now. I just got an email from another member who said he is going to have his boat at China Camp over that weekend.

If my wife and I could bum a ride from someone that would be be very much appreciated. We would be happy to bring whatever is needed..food, beer, whatever. We live in Alameda but we would be happy to drive anywhere in order to get a ride. She is a sailing newbee, so I am trying to get her exposed to all the fun.

So we have four boats so far? Is that correct? I'm sorry, I forgot the name of the guy in Berkeley with the Privilege 39..are you going? Anyone else care to join in?..speak up! The more the merrier.

David

Old 09-05-2008, 07:38   #42

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I brought up the China Camp website, and it seems you can get a campsite. never knew there was a campground, but I've always gone by boat.
Charlie & David
I did drop the Parks Department a note on the get together and asked if there is any permits or reservations we need to get to have a group picnic on the beach area for the afternoon and evening of the 12th. I'll keep you posted.
Randy
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24   #43

Thanks Randy:

That would be great.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 09-05-2008, 13:11   #44

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Had a chat with the Parks dept. from China Camp today. They said that if we wanted a picnic site in the park to the south, we would have to reserve the site for the day at $150.00, BUT if we wanted to stay in the China Camp area, there would not be any charge. The only thing they said was that its a first come, first serve, basis.
So, I'll make a point on going over on Thursday or Friday with the boat, so I can secure the area come Saturday Morning.....Its not a big deal for us as wherever we drop the hook is our home.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 16:27   #45

Sounds great Randy. Do you know the area well? I know that Windsaloft felt there might not be enough water in there.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
sf bay