Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 10:25   #1

Boat: not much yet
Sea Scouts Open House

The Valley Sailing club and the Sea Scouts are doing a membership drive newcomer open house Saturday near Portage Des Sioux on the north side of the St. Louis metro area. They are supposed to have a wide variety of personal boats there for information and to go out on. The information can be found on Craigslist St. Louis. Just do a search for sailboats!
As a beginner, I know where I will be if the weather is okay!
Have a beautiful day!
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, Ahnlaashock. It sounds like a fun day on the water, and a great chance to get aboard a variety of different boats. Let's hope the weather cooperates!

I wish I could be there.

TaoJones
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Those exact waters are my first sailing experience. You maybe looking for Hoppies Marina.....I left you a message......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25   #4

It does sound like it will be fun. There is the added bonus that a friend owns a clubhouse on a backwater off the river in that area that I can use if I get permission! The boats part will be interesting, but learning that area from those that know will be a big advantage all on it's own for me!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:57   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just north of Alton there's Brussel Island, and it use to have some nice beaches. It gets very crowded on a hot weekend with small powerboats. On the south side of the island.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 15:44   #6

My friends clubhouse faces one of the islands right in that area. His water access would require a pretty shallow draft most of the time. Might have to get outside the island before you could set a centerboard or swing keel. Lots of stumps and problems there for a deep keel, even when the water is up enough.
I have never been out up there, but my wife has been out a lot of times on his pontoon boat.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 33T Hull #80
The Sea Scouts are great, we have had the pleasure to host a group on our boat for a weekend, we had 4 scouts and a leader a friends boat also had 4 scouts and a leader we went out for 2 days and one night...we had a blast with them. Hope to get back into soon.
gigglingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:20   #8

Just returned from the open house.
The Valley group seems to more of a family group than some. A small club with a Club house, pavillion, and lift/launching lagoon for smaller boats. Most folks were over the top nice.
I got there before they really had anything ready since they were running a few minutes late. I just pitched in and helped for the morning.
None of the boats were really what I am looking for. The Lightning looks fast and fun, but doesn't really look like single handing is it's best usage. A little Hobie Holder was there but I did nto get a real good look at it. A lady was there with a Johnson Mini Scow. Very nice looking boat for what I do, and it was immaculate. Don't know how they sail.
The bigger boats are of little use to me so far, so I did not really mess with them. The one guy's Hunter looked like a nice family party boat.
Kind of more confused than I was. The 16 foot antique Chesapeake bay working dinghy I have is a lot closer to what I am looking for if it was repaired than anything I saw today. The boats with little cockpits and a dozen lines everywhere look like work, not relaxation.
I went out on a Sunfish for a while and got to sail hiked out all the way in decent wind for a few seconds at that time. Now, that could be fun with practice to try and race with your buds.
The sailing area is very nice compared to the puddle I normally sail in. Same problems with the shifty winds off the shore tho.
A gentleman with a Y-flyer gave me his number and we are going to try to get together to sail it for an afternoon.
I think I will go visit them again!
Old 08-08-2009, 18:34   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations. Sounds like a success for them and you. The Hobie Holder is much like out Hobie Ones that we have four of here. We have 13 Sunfish and they are a bit faster and easier to rig and sail than the Hobie One/Holder.
Glad you had a good time and good luck in finding that perfect boat.
kind regards,