Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 12:37   #1

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Sea Rescue at Reef in Niue

Reported by TV1 New Zealand:

Taiwanese fishing boat grounded in Niue, rescue operation underway

A rescue operation involving the New Zealand air force is underway near Nuie to save 11 crew on board a Taiwanese fishing vessel that has grounded on a marine reef.

The boat, a FV CHUAN I SHIN, is grounded at Beveridge Reef, 125 nautical miles south-east of Niue.

The Beveridge Reef is part of Niue’s marine protected area, the Niue Nukutukulea Multiple-Use marine park.

The vessel is understood to be afloat with the crew safe on board.

The Niuean Government said the priority is to rescue and save the lives of everyone on board and is working closely with New Zealand’s Rescue Coordination Centre.

A Royal New Zealand Air Force C-130 Hercules is also on its way to help with the rescue operation.

Weather conditions in the Beveridge Reef area have been fine with clear skies and a swell of 2.5 metres, Niue's Met Office says.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FV CHUAN I SHIN.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	258886  
Old 03-06-2022, 14:38   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sea Rescue at Reef in Niue

That's a marine park, they oughtn't to have been fishing there.

Ann
Old 03-06-2022, 15:35   #3

Perhaps they are using horribly outdated CM93 charts? Until the recent updates by LINZ, Navionics, and a few others the actual location of Beveridge was known to be significantly different from that shown on charts. A brief search at CF or Noonsite would provide chartlets prepared from GPS tracks that show the actual location

Regardless of any other considerations, here's hoping that everyone gets off safe and sound, I sure wouldn't want to be in their position - aground on a reef with no land on which to step.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

1 in 5 fish caught globally believed to be stolen

About one in five fish, consumed globally, is either caught illegally, without proper reporting, or regulations, to protect the sustainability of fish populations, according to a British study [1].
It's an enterprise worth up to $50 billion US annually, depriving some of the world's poorest coastal communities of crucial nutrition, and income, exacerbating declining stocks, and threatening endangered species.

[1] “Estimating the Worldwide Extent of Illegal Fishing” ~ by David J. Agnew et al
Quote:
”... We estimate that the overall loss from our studied fisheries is 13–31% (lower and upper estimates) with a mean of 18%, and that this was worth some $5-11 bn in 2003 ...”
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0004570

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 15:16   #5

from the information posted, it is not clear if they were fishing at the time or just transiting. It does seem likely that they were sailing without a watch who might have noticed breaking waves.
thannever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 16:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
Perhaps they are using horribly outdated CM93 charts? Until the recent updates by LINZ, Navionics, and a few others the actual location of Beveridge was known to be significantly different from that shown on charts. A brief search at CF or Noonsite would provide chartlets prepared from GPS tracks that show the actual location
Your point is well made. Typically small Pacific nations don't have the budget to keep all their nautical charts updated. There are still many charts that were created using sextant and sounding. Similar issues exist for lights and beacons. I understand that LINZ, through the NZ Navy, only prepares updates of charts for NZ the dependencies that include Cooks, Niue, Tokelau and the Ross Antarctic territory.

Another issue of course is that several such low lying atolls or reefs are disputed. The North and South Minerva Reefs are examples of disputed territory/ownership between Tonga and Fiji. British Admiralty charts are seemingly still the best source of accurate charts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thannever View Post
from the information posted, it is not clear if they were fishing at the time or just transiting. It does seem likely that they were sailing without a watch who might have noticed breaking waves.
There are many many isolated reefs and islands. And even keeping watch you'd never spot them. You have to read the chart carefully, and note down potential hazards in passage plans.

Between New Zealand and Fiji or New Caledonia, one reef in particular has a seemingly magnetic attraction, Ceva-i-Ra. An uninhabited reef, owned by Fiji, it's located about 250 nautical miles (460 km; 290 mi) southwest of the main archipelago of Fiji. Also called Conway Reef, it's a great place to play cricket as friends of mine experienced as the youtube video portrays (about 50 seconds in).

But you'd never spot this little reef at night as it's only just above the water. And of course many such reefs aren't above the water at all.

Old 04-06-2022, 20:34   #7

Boat: Kristen 52

I’ve been to Beveridge, plenty of wrecks there. You can’t see it until you’re on top of it.
Old 04-06-2022, 23:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
I’ve been to Beveridge, plenty of wrecks there. You can’t see it until you’re on top of it.
That's a great reminder for me (in a bad way), thanks Chuck & Lauri. Five years ago, 28 August 2017, a British family of 4, sailing their 15m catamaran the Avanti hit Beveridge and were rescued. They were fortunate as a NZ research yacht was working nearby and heard their distress signal. Could easily have been a tragedy, as for the most part that area is a very empty ocean. Fortunately the family was saved, but lost virtually everything.

A few pics of the Avanti and her circumstance below In the map, top right, the little red triangle shows the location of the reef.

There was of course a crowd funding campaign. A full report is available here.

And for many years the wreck of the Nicky Lou was the head quarters of the Beveridge Reef Yacht Club, a somewhat sick joke I guess, but sailors huh, they still think fart jokes are funny

There's a really lovely story of a visit to the reef here penned by the cruisers on Chasing Stars.

PS and for those that want to view what I feel is a stunning videos of a little visited island by cruisers, . You've given me inspiration to sail north!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	avanti8.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	258964   Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti7.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	258965  

Name:	avanti6.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	258966   Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti3.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	258967  

Name:	avanti4.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	258968   Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	258969  

Old 05-06-2022, 04:45   #9

I worked a tuna boat (super seiner) as the helicopter mechanic, in the Pacific. The waste is disgusting. I saw tons of sharks, marlin, dolphin, and other species of fish caught and if it wasn't a tuna, it was thrown overboard, of course with the sharks the fins were cut off, dried, and sold to Japanese restaurants. I could go on about what I witnessed but these commercial fishermen will do just about anything to catch a boatload of fish, that includes illegally fishing in protected waters. I'd be willing to bet the crew knew exactly where they were.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have heard other similar first hand accounts.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Niue, rescue