Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 23:54   #1

Boat: Fisher 37
Sailing Nandji

Sad to hear that the sailing Nandji guys got blown into a reef after their mooring ball failed in a squall. Worse still that other cruisers in the area sat and watched whilst they frantically saved their boat. None of the 5 or so boats came over or offered assistance?

https://youtu.be/-H9Xm_saXCQ

Thankfully they got Nandji off with the assistance of some locals.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 00:48   #2

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Re: Sailing Nandji

Even worse what happened to the guys on Zingaro. Their cat just ripped in two pieces.....

Old 23-02-2020, 01:03   #3

Tragedy is tragedy.

I was mostly taken that cruisers didn’t lend a hand. I’d like to think that I and everyone I know would step up when seeing someone in distress...not sit down to watch. Obviously I wasn’t there so perhaps there is more to the story that explains their behaviour?
Old 23-02-2020, 02:24   #4

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser

Helping fellow sailors in distress is our commitment and should be written deep in our DNA. Strange what happened there and very tragic for both boats.....
Old 23-02-2020, 12:45   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We'd all like to think we'd go help in all cases, but it really can't be that way. A skipper's first responsibility is to his vessel and his crew. If the conditions were so bad that they thought they would be unable to help, then keeping themselves, their boat and their crew is what they are obliged to do.

It is best not to have all 8 boats in trouble on the reef. It is also better, imo, to save yourselves, and not count on others to do it for you. There has to be a balance. Perhaps the people on the boats who did not help lacked the skills to do so. Most cruisers would help if they think they can, and if they think it is needed. Otherwise, you just have to take care of your boat, self, and crew.

Ann
Old 23-02-2020, 13:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We'd all like to think we'd go help in all cases, but it really can't be that way. A skipper's first responsibility is to his vessel and his crew. If the conditions were so bad that they thought they would be unable to help, then keeping themselves, their boat and their crew is what they are obliged to do.

It is best not to have all 8 boats in trouble on the reef. It is also better, imo, to save yourselves, and not count on others to do it for you. There has to be a balance. Perhaps the people on the boats who did not help lacked the skills to do so. Most cruisers would help if they think they can, and if they think it is needed. Otherwise, you just have to take care of your boat, self, and crew.

Ann

You’re most likely correct Ann. It’s an emotive video with them both still tryIng to come to terms with what happened. No one can expect others to rush to their help in the middle of a squall. Once it is over and we find ourselves safe we are obliged to assist anyone who didn’t come through as luckily as us but only if doing so doesn’t endanger us or our loved ones.
Old 23-02-2020, 14:10   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne hoath View Post
You’re most likely correct Ann. It’s an emotive video with them both still tryIng to come to terms with what happened. No one can expect others to rush to their help in the middle of a squall. Once it is over and we find ourselves safe we are obliged to assist anyone who didn’t come through as luckily as us but only if doing so doesn’t endanger us or our loved ones.
I’ve experienced otherwise. Half the boats in the anchorage dragged, some t-boned, some banging keels on rocks, and Even during the height of it the other half skippers were in dinghys- in 65 knot winds and terrifying lightning- helping. Not a single boat was badly damaged. I believe if we had not all responded automatically that several boats may have been lost.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 14:20   #8

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Sad to hear that the sailing Nandji guys got blown into a reef after their mooring ball failed in a squall. .
Bummer but why oh why would you pick up a mooring ball vs using your own, proven, trusted gear.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 14:22   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I’ve experienced otherwise. Half the boats in the anchorage dragged, some t-boned, some banging keels on rocks, and Even during the height of it the other half skippers were in dinghys- in 65 knot winds and terrifying lightning- helping. Not a single boat was badly damaged. I believe if we had not all responded automatically that several boats may have been lost.
Probably lucky several people in dinghy's didn't need rescuing or actual lives lost.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 18:28   #10

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Bummer but why oh why would you pick up a mooring ball vs using your own, proven, trusted gear.
Yes he freely admits he broke his own rules and it was his mistake.

It sounded like the comment about the other yachts not offering any assistance was some time after the storm had passed. I'm a little surprised to hear this as I have only seen and tried myself, that at least some always try and help. Sure some people aren't confident in their own abilities to help, that's fine but there's usually some with adequate skills in most groups.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 18:57   #11

I guess we will see more when they are able to upload the footage.
Very sad; when I first started watching these guys I was pretty skeptical with them being young, dreadlocks and tatts and oh so very Ocker...a bit hard to listen to, but over the years I've watched them learn as much as they can and work so hard on their boat and their skills and personally I've been very impressed with their attitude and commitment.
I am shocked with the lack of help from others in the anchorage.
I can understand not wanting to put yourself in danger at the time but as soon as things die down you would assume you would get in the tender and offer even the loan of emergency pump or fenders or especially a barge board or similar to reduce potential damage....or at least a show of support.
Yosh admits they want to be able to look after themselves as much as possible and not rely on anyone else but still....
I have no doubt that this impressive couple will do a great job of rebuilding their boat and carry on with their plans.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 19:36   #12

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Tragedy is tragedy.

I was mostly taken that cruisers didn’t lend a hand. I’d like to think that I and everyone I know would step up when seeing someone in distress...not sit down to watch. Obviously I wasn’t there so perhaps there is more to the story that explains their behaviour?
Come on, how many times have you come into an anchorage only to have every old salt within view come onto their decks or cockpit to sit and watch. Cruisers/boaters tend to be a bunch of voyeurs.

Sure some might offer help, but most would happily sip their drinks whilst watching an incoming boat hit an unchartered rock in a Norwegian anchorage.

As for the mooring, you'd expect a good pay out from the company or organisation that operates them.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 19:41   #13

Yes well good luck expecting a payout from a faulty mooring anywhere in Asia...or anywhere in the world I suspect.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 23:02   #14

Boat: Slocum 43

Where they were are a lot of charter boats. They hire them for a few days. I don't think they were cruisers, because cruisers and proper sailors would not be sitting on their arses, having a drink watching while someone is in distress asking for help. Most decent humans, even if not sailors would try to help someone in distress. Those people watching, having a drink, watching for entertainment, are tossers, or politicians
the dude abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 23:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude abides View Post
Those people watching, having a drink, watching for entertainment, are tossers, or politicians

+1. Sounds about right to me :-)

Tags
sail, sailing