Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2019, 15:30   #31

Re: Sad News From Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Oh dear, just when you thought they hit rock bottom. One wonders in which regulation it is defined how many feet of boat length one needs per person?
I guess most readers would be surprised to hear how many people lived on this boat, but where do you draw the line?

A gofundme campaign might indeed be a good idea, I'd certainly pitch in.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Ann!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-zeinobiyahs-family

This particular picture below of little Zobbie just breaks me up....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 17:23   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm appalled by this gov "service" and it's knee jerk actions, but railing against it is a waste of time. Part of living in the present times in Australia (or many other "civilized" countries.

On a different point, years ago we met a cruising family with a ~18 month old boychild on board. They were Aussies returning from a long circumnavigation, and the child had literally been on board his entire life... and as such, had never learned to walk in the normal manner. On the boat he got around like a little monkey, scrambling from one hand hold to another. We met them in a marina in New Zealand, and it was for them their first marina stay since the boy was born... and his first period of being on solid ground or marina walkways since reaching "walking age". He went straight from his non-walking condition to running full tilt along the marina docks, skipping over the learning to stop or make sharp turns. This quickly lead to his flying off the dock into the water, bringing many bystanders to his aid, all aghast. But this family had early on given him "drownproofing" training, and his first reaction was to turn on to his back and float. The second was to commence bellowing at the top of his lungs, which continued whilst he was dragged from the sea and hosed off with fresh (and equally cold) water. We were mightily impressed by their foresight and the boy survived several such incidents before finalizing his ground locomotion skills... and grew up into a fine young man last we saw of him.

We can only wish that Zennie could have had similar training.

Jim
Old 20-07-2019, 22:03   #33

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Typical inane reply from inner city bleeding hearts in need of virtue signalling, who have never seen a boat up close but have some form of authority they need to show.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 01:00   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ya know, i don't want this to descend into bashing child protective services. From my employment life, I know they're imperfect, like most human institutions, but they do provide sanctuary for children who need it.

As sailors, we cannot expect landlubbers to understand our lives. It just won't work.

I, for one, would like to hear from the family before going the gofundme route. They may just need to have quiet time for themselves for a bit....maybe a long bit.

The one I know on CF who is most likely to be in touch is <Sapient Sue>.

Ann
Old 22-07-2019, 06:59   #35

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm appalled by this gov "service" and it's knee jerk actions, but railing against it is a waste of time. Part of living in the present times in Australia (or many other "civilized" countries.

Jim
Steve and Becky and the swabbies being forced off sumbowa is further sad news added to their pile. While living like that isn't for everyone, it was working for them. Surely the last couple of years living onboard shows that they made it work, and this tragedy is just an unfortunate accident.

Our experience of the family was one of happiness, politeness and an overwhelming curiosity for the world from the kids. Our kids kept in touch intermittently, and are very sad for the family. Like others, we tried to help a little now, and are waiting to see what comes next for them.

My 8 YO has spent time living aboard since she was 4 - and has not worn a lifejacket when at anchor. I guess you protect and teach them the best you can, and hope that's enough. I think there are many of us parents counting ourselves fortunate.

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 14:45   #36

Boat: Seaward 32RK

My deepest condolences to the Soetekouw family. Thanks Ann for letting Dr. Phil's post sail into the free market of ideas. I often judge others by their worst actions whilst judging myself by my best intentions.
I am grateful "inane" social service is doing the "virtue signaling" instead of law enforcement. Working as an ER doc I ignore the skewed view of mishaps; by missing the selection bias. E.g. I don't see the millions of people who drive imperfectly without serious accidents. As an expert medical witness for the defense I am familiar with explaining how easy but unfair it is to judge bad outcomes through our 20/20 retrospectroscope.
This lurker is grateful for CF and this incredible education. THANK YOU all! I am new to owning a sailboat since the one that would disappear with a spilled cup of gasoline. I had a $88+ one box top "KOOL" Sea Snark
( https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jcMAA...j6/s-l1600.jpg )at 12 years old. If my parents knew I occasionally sailed that 11ft Styrofoam Snark to the middle of the Howard Franklin bridge in Tampa bay, they would have impounded both of us.

I have too much respect (reads; healthy fear?) for water to allow any of my grandchildren out of the cabin without a life jacket and tethered while sailing. I simply don't trust their judgement...I only have two.

Bottom line: my condolences. THANKS again for sharing.
Bromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 22:26   #37

Boat: Hunter 356

While even as a parent I cannot imagine how difficult the loss of a child under any circumstance is, this was preventable.

The family had generated a lot of talk on the Sydney network. Locals to Forty Baskets had called in the help of the police and social services earlier this year when the boat appeared ‘beached’ and there were serious concerns that the children were not being suitably looked after as the children appeared dirty and not suitable dressed for the conditions (not wearing enough clothes / being kept warm enough). The word ‘feral’ has littered the conversations for some time.

From the limited information over the passed 12 months, it appears that various people had contacted the police and social services with concerns in relation to the welfare of the children well before they left Port Jackson for Broken Bay.

Alas, sadly the loss of one of their children has come not as a surprise.

I’m sure the authorities did not act without sound reason.

My sympathies to the family in what must be an utterly indescribable sad and difficult time.

There is a Facebook page and website ‘Our Round the World Adventure’ where they have recently provided an update.
tinysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 00:10   #38

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysailor View Post
While even as a parent I cannot imagine how difficult the loss of a child under any circumstance is, this was preventable.

The family had generated a lot of talk on the Sydney network. Locals to Forty Baskets had called in the help of the police and social services earlier this year when the boat appeared ‘beached’ and there were serious concerns that the children were not being suitably looked after as the children appeared dirty and not suitable dressed for the conditions (not wearing enough clothes / being kept warm enough). The word ‘feral’ has littered the conversations for some time.

From the limited information over the passed 12 months, it appears that various people had contacted the police and social services with concerns in relation to the welfare of the children well before they left Port Jackson for Broken Bay.

My sympathies to the family in what must be an utterly indescribable sad and difficult time.

There is a Facebook page and website ‘Our Round the World Adventure’ where they have recently provided an update.

Your comments on the preceding twelve months provide some additional details, but in no way suggest that this was preventable. We don't know the details of what happened so there is no way for us to say it shouldn't have happened.

Several have commented and (assuming that I read them correctly) have said they knew the family and all seemed well. There will always be those who complain to the authorities about others. Their complaints may be based upon legitimate concerns, but they may not be. Perhaps they didn't like the boat being in "their" water. Perhaps they didn't like the family being different than them. Without first hand knowledge, or the conclusions of any investigations, we really can't say whether or not the complaints were valid.

The fact that the authorities did not take action in the previous years may indicate that they found nothing amiss.

The authorities, after the accident, did take action, claiming the boat was ten feet too short. There was nothing I saw that indicated they had other concerns. A longer boat wouldn't have prevented the accident if all other circumstances were the same.

If I have misread your comments I apologize in advance, but I didn't see anything in your statement that suggests this could have been prevented. Regardless of our difference in opinion, I know we both sympathize with the family and wish them well moving forward.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 00:40   #39

we met some of the kids and family when they were moored in manly. sydney. Beautiful bunch of kids. well balanced, sound and COMPETENT, MOST ATTENTIVE & CARING towards each other, very friendly and a delight to be around. Such sad news. Can we please note the judgemental types posting here of all places and just step away from their comments. May her soul rest in peace and her family be supported during these awful times for them. If they need a place to stay, and if anyone is in touch with them, Private message me. We're not too far away. (pittwater)
2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 01:55   #40

2020, what a generous offer!

I'd imagine they really need solitude. But send Sapient Sue an e-mail if her profile allows it, or a PM, and let her know. Even if they don't take you up on it, they might want to say thanks.

Ann
Old 23-07-2019, 03:43   #41

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysailor View Post

Funny thing but others, both on this site and another site, that have actually met and interacted with the family appear to portray a different picture.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 04:57   #42

As the eldest of eleven children, brought up in another era, families like this have a whole other dynamic.

Don’t judge the parents, the kids care for each other in this sort of family.

I recall fishing my sister out of a rock pool when she was about three, she was face down and unconscious, I guess it was some sort of diving reflex.

Surprisingly, we have all survived to a ripe oldish age, and still look out for each other.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 19:02   #43

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Funny thing but others, both on this site and another site, that have actually met and interacted with the family appear to portray a different picture.

You're right, that's the difference between the perception of the "Locals to Forty Baskets" (an area on the northern beaches of Sydney) and sailors who've actually met them.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 05:34   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-zeinobiyahs-family

This particular picture below of little Zobbie just breaks me up....

TODAY
by Alex Vaughan, Organiser
Thank you all very much for your extremely generous donations and words of kindness.
Beccie and Steve would like you all to know that they are very grateful for your support and love.
Your donations helped to fund Zeinobiyah's funeral which took place on Friday the 19th of July. Any remaining funds will be used by the family for food, clothing, transport costs. Every donation is making a difference. With their permission, I am in the process of withdrawing the money on Beccie and Steve's behalf, and will be transferring it to them via EFT.
Thank you all again, very much.
Alex

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 14:31   #45

Thank you, Island Hopper, for stepping up to the plate on this one. Whatever it has come to, I really hope it makes this very difficult time somewhat easier for them all.

Ann

Tags
Australia, sydney