Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 03:48   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
S/V Primrose grounds and sinks on ICW near Ponce

42-foot sailboat sinks in Intracoastal Waterway near New Smyrna Beach, Ponce Inlet | News-JournalOnline.com

Workers scramble to save partially submerged sailboat near... | www.wftv.com

"... the 42-foot boat, with two people aboard, ran aground during low tide in the Halifax River, just south of the inlet, and began taking on water.The two people aboard that vessel were taken to shore by another boat and are OK.
Skywitness 9 HD was overhead as crews worked to pump water from the vessel and divers prepared to go into the water.
“I was in shock,” said boat owner Diane Robinson. “I would not believe it because as soon as we looked inside the boat, all the water was up the floorboards within minutes.”
Crews were eventually able to pull the boat to shore before it sunk.
Robinson and her husband, Michael, are recently retired and have been sailing all their lives. The couple said they just bought the sailboat for the trip of a lifetime, and it's where they've called home for days."
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 04:46   #2

Re: S/V Primrose grounds and sinks on ICW near Ponce

Sad to see someones dream come to a crashing halt after only a few days. It looks to me like something punctured a BIG hole near the rudder which was also bent. Maybe the steering quadrant? It looks to me like the puncture was from the inside but, I could be wrong
Feel sorry for the couple but, it sounds like they got the boat out of the water pretty quickly. I hope repairs can be made and they can get back to living the "dream". I hope Black Oak realizes how lucky he has been too.
Old 23-02-2013, 05:11   #3

Boat: Sailboat

Blog: Tough trip for Primrose | Primrose with Mike and Diane

Quote:
Tough trip for Primrose
02/22/2013, Daytona Beach, FL
The ICW meets Ponce Inlet near Daytona Beach. The channel is marked but shoaled in by sand bar at low tide. Primrose went aground in the channel then backing off hit her rudder. The result: skeg torn off leaving a hole in the boat. She took on water till her decks were awash. Crews with pumps and a diver stopped the water enough to tow her to a nearby boat yard.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 05:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Well, that's a new one. Never thought about the skeg sinking a boat from a simple grounding. Maybe a free standing rudder does have some benefits even if it might catch a more lobster traps when underway. I feel a skeg vs no skeg post coming on.
Old 23-02-2013, 05:57   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Well, that's a new one. Never thought about the skeg sinking a boat from a simple grounding. Maybe a free standing rudder does have some benefits even if it might catch a more lobster traps when underway. I feel a skeg vs no skeg post coming on.
Skegs? Didn't they have those in front of rudders in the old days because they couldn't build strong enough spade rudders?!

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:05   #6
cruiser

ran aground during low tide in the Halifax River
-------------------------------------------------

another one using iphone, ipad, ipod, space shuttle, raspberry, strawberry, and apple pie berry for navigation.....

probably they never heard about charted depths or how to calculate times & heights of high & low waters at secondary ports or to calculate times or heights between high & low waters at any port.
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:14   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Does anybody have a more precise location? Maybe a Mile Marker or a nav aid number? It's hard to say what could have been done differently, but it is often not a good idea to throw it into reverse and give it a lot of throttle when aground, in case you do pop off. Often better to put out an anchor off the bow and pull the bow around until it's pointing back toward the channel, then proceed in forward.
Old 23-02-2013, 06:48   #8

Location: Compare this picture from Photos: Scramble to save sinking sailboat | www.wftv.com

with google earth:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dayto...orida&t=h&z=17

Primrose looks to be in the channel, between R18, R18A and GR C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primrose-location-ponce.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	55548   Click image for larger version

Name:	primrose-location-ponce1.png
Views:	315
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	55549  

Old 23-02-2013, 06:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Does anybody have a more precise location? Maybe a Mile Marker or a nav aid number? It's hard to say what could have been done differently, but it is often not a good idea to throw it into reverse and give it a lot of throttle when aground, in case you do pop off. Often better to put out an anchor off the bow and pull the bow around until it's pointing back toward the channel, then proceed in forward.
Based on photo #4 in the photo set in the first linked article, it looks to me to be at the intersection of "ponce inlet cut" and "indian river north"...approximately here.
Active Captain has several comments from boaters regarding shoaling in that area...here's one: "hit violently between r 18a &G 19 the bifurcation bouy. Was on the magenta line on Garmin and it cleaned the kitchen.Next boat behind had same experience. Depth alarm never had chance to go off"

I really debated using this inlet on our transit. I posted on this site for local info. I called Boat US for local info. In the end, after listening to others, viewing the sattelitte images, studying the charts, etc, I decided that there was just too much shoaling and local knowledge required in this area to transit safely.

Regarding dropping and anchor and turning around, I was told never to let anyone spin you if you run aground when I bought my boat. The keel and rudder are roughly the same depth and if the rudder is in clean water, reverse out...otherwise you'll bend/break it with a yawing moment. Happy to hear thoughts.

My heart goes out to the cruising couple...I hope they are able to effect repairs and continue their journey shortly...I can't imagine their anguish.

Edit: LeaseOnLife beat me to id'ing the location...and with photos to boot!
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:55   #10

Nice job on the photos and Google Earth! Looks like they are between daymark 18 and red nun 18A, near where the inlet channel comes in from the north. Can't make out the green and red can marking the junction of the two channels. The GR can is a green for the ICW and a red for the inlet channel--I wonder if there could have been some confusion around which way to leave that marker?

I'm guessing in that photo the boat is not where it went aground--it is where they ended up taking on water after backing off. It would be interesting to figure out eventually exactly where they hit as that is a very busy area.

If you go here and turn on the Argus soundings there is nothing in the channel except for the less than 8-foot dots. No yellow dots, which would be less than 6 feet. I wonder what their boat draws?
Old 23-02-2013, 06:58   #11

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm07082013.pdf

Quote:
FLORIDA-ATLANTIC INTRACOASTAL WATERWAY-MATANZAS INLET- MOSQUITO LAGOON-PONCE DE LEON CUT: Shoaling.
Extreme shoaling is present in the vicinity of Ponce de Leon Cut DBN 18 (LLNR 40610). A 5ft shoal extends approximately 10 yards into the
channel at low tide water depth is approximately 5ft. Mariners are advised to use extreme caution while transiting the area.
Chart 11485
LNM: 05/13
Old 23-02-2013, 07:17   #12

When in doubt in the ICW, stick to the centerline of the marked channel!
Old 23-02-2013, 07:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
When in doubt in the ICW, stick to the centerline of the marked channel!
And go slow...
Old 23-02-2013, 08:04   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If only the US government would keep charts up to date like elsewhere in the 1st world... we were in mid-channel in the FL keys once and saw plants growing up from the water right in front of us... New Found Harbor, 7' channel according to the maps that were current at that time. I put my bow, which is only 4 inch draft in there for the transducer to take a sniff and saw 3'... less than half the charted depth.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 08:26   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Its hard to tell from the picture but doesn't that hole look like a repair that popped out?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw