Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 09:22   #16

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'
Re: Rescue from s/v "Elusive" by tanker "Bow Clipper"

I have often wondered if net worth (as in wealth), had anything to do with making the decision to abandon ship. Is it easier for a sailor with a large net worth to leave as opposed to the guy who has everything in the boat to leave? The rich guy says, "no way I am going down, I can just buy another one!", and the poor guy saying, " this is all I got and I know I won't be getting another one, I'll go to the bottom with her before I'll lose her!). Just wondering?
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:24   #17

Come on guys. We just had a tragedy where four men died. Loss of a boat is inconsequential compared to loss of life.

Situation "worsened" could well be electric bilge pump dead due to dead batteries and losing ground with the manual pump. Out Islander 41's don't heave to and are hard to keep into the wind in good conditions. They could well be sideways to 25ft waves rolling dangerously - and if they turn downwind in 25ft seas a OutIslander 41 would be prone to broaching. If it was anywhere close to this, they did the right thing to call for help.

The Cheeki Rafiki was a much newer and much better blue water design sailed by a professional crew and they died. Here, no lives were lost and a rescue was made with no risk to the rescuers - and not that the CG ever considers rescue cost - no cost to the CG.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:39   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Rescue from s/v "Elusive" by tanker "Bow Clipper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
I have often wondered if net worth (as in wealth), had anything to do with making the decision to abandon ship. Is it easier for a sailor with a large net worth to leave as opposed to the guy who has everything in the boat to leave? The rich guy says, "no way I am going down, I can just buy another one!", and the poor guy saying, " this is all I got and I know I won't be getting another one, I'll go to the bottom with her before I'll lose her!). Just wondering?
The poor guy is sure going to try harder, I'd think. Tough spot for these three guys, no question. While we seem to see a lot abandonments, perhaps it's because of improved comms. In times past there was no way to call for help.

What now? Will the tanker divert to drop them off or continue to destination and leave them to find their own way home? Does the CG send a chopper for them?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:51   #19

While I guess a captain can foolishly risk their life for their boat, it's completely irresponsible to make the crew take that risk (except in the military).

A captain's first responsibility and duty is the safety of his crew and passengers. Full stop.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:07   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

What now? Will the tanker divert to drop them off or continue to destination and leave them to find their own way home? Does the CG send a chopper for them?
The ship takes them to their next port of call (unless injured) or other place if its more convenient. So if the tanker was outbound USA to Arabia the sail boat crew will have time to relax... They might come home stink potters!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:13   #21

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

I wasn't suggesting "foolishly risking your life" but asking your self, "have I done everything I can to save this boat?". Look at the boats that show up with little damage after they have been abandoned. Maybe the boat can sometime ride out the problem, storm or whatever, but the crew bails. Imagine you abandoning your boat and she shows up fine 3 months later. Well maybe the steaks in your freezer going bad.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:18   #22

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The ship takes them to their next port of call (unless injured) or other place if its more convenient. So if the tanker was outbound USA to Arabia the sail boat crew will have time to relax... They might come home stink potters!
Bow Clipper was in it's way from Rotterdam to Wilmington, NC and currently is moored in Wilmington:
BOW CLIPPER - Oil/chemical tanker: current position and details | IMO 9047518, MMSI 258947000, Callsign LAUU4 | Registered in Norway - AIS Marine Traffic

The three should be on the way home after a debriefing with the CG.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:28   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Rescue from s/v "Elusive" by tanker "Bow Clipper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Bow Clipper was in it's way from Rotterdam to Wilmington, NC and currently is moored in Wilmington:
BOW CLIPPER - Oil/chemical tanker: current position and details | IMO 9047518, MMSI 258947000, Callsign LAUU4 | Registered in Norway - AIS Marine Traffic

The three should be on the way home after a debriefing with the CG.
Well that's one thing right.

I agree with the not endangering the crew aspect. After a very fortunate incident many years ago with a crew member, I became a solo sailor on purpose.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 11:54   #24

I appreciate all the comments and concern.

When I have had a chance to come to terms with losing everything I have, I will address all of your questions and speculation.

I will say this:

If any of you should fall under similar conditions. There is no better vessel and crew then that of the Bow Clipper to come to your aid. They have my eternal gratitude.

Sean.
blundermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 12:08   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blundermutt View Post

When I have had a chance to come to terms with losing everything I have, I will address all of your questions and speculation.

Sean.
Hey, Sean!
Glad you got off ok!
Sorry you lost your boat and your dream.

To help others learn so we can avoid that situation many of us do wanna find out what happened.... Its not to have a go at you guys and your problem.

Seeing your previous post, you were heading from New York City to Panama?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 22:18   #26

Sean, so sorry to hear of your loss but I am glad you all are safe and sound. That must have been the hardest decision to make but in the end your crew comes first.
Sundownsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 02:35   #27
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Bow Clipper: Sistership of the last big boat I crewed on, Bow Spring was my ride.
Good company, good food

Glad you and your crew was taken care of Sean.
Old 31-05-2014, 08:55   #28

Thank you SunDown Sailing and CSY Man.
blundermutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue