Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 08:45   #1

Boat: Cherubini 33
Rally to Bahamas in June

Good day all,

I thought I read about a summertime regatta from South Florida to the Bahamas some time in June on one of the posts here that had a link to a website. I can not to seem to find it now.

Fellow CF'ers; does anybody know anything about this? And if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Rally to Bahamas in June

Bimini Fling? ➥ Boating Flings | The Official Site of The Bahamas

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:28   #3

Boat: Currently in between

Thanks for the link GM. Looks like an interesting way to kick off Hurricane Season!

Nice to have something for us Floridians that don't flee north during the season.
Old 25-04-2017, 05:16   #4

Very cool gord may, I have been looking for something like that
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 05:21   #5

Boat: None

You might also be talking about a special arrangement going on this year, the Rally to the Cup

-
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 07:56   #6

Boat: Sigma 41

There is Abaco Race Week from June 23 to June 30 so you should see quite a few boats headed for the Abacos from Florida.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 10:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

That was it! Thanks!
Old 25-04-2017, 10:42   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
These seem more oriented to fast powerboats. Leaving Thursday, coming back Sunday. Us blow-boaters need a little more time for the crossing, and are much more weather dependent.

To the OP, I'm based out of Fort Lauderdale, and could be game for a CF cruise to Bimini this summer...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 10:43   #9

All these events seem fun
gomezC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:31   #10

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
You might also be talking about a special arrangement going on this year, the Rally to the Cup

-
LOL ... I just realized it was Bahamas not Bermuda!

Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:35   #11

Boat: Hunter 33.5

There is, " Regatta Time in the Abacos"( has a web site ) at the end of June. Also look at the web site for, " Florida Sailors and Boaters" a great club in Ft.Lauderdale.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
These seem more oriented to fast powerboats. Leaving Thursday, coming back Sunday. Us blow-boaters need a little more time for the crossing, and are much more weather dependent.

To the OP, I'm based out of Fort Lauderdale, and could be game for a CF cruise to Bimini this summer...

-David
Thanks! That was my next question. With a four day window, it seemed pretty dependent upon perfect weather. Lauderdale to Bimini is going to require a S wind to sail, and they seem little rare in June.

Went last year on my own with a 10-15 E wind and it is a long, tough trip. The longer one in July seems like it might be a bit more canvas oriented. Was thinking that maybe sailors just sucked up the easterly crossing and hoped for the best on the return????

Does anybody-perchance-have specific experience with these "flings" and a sailboat? If so, i would love to hear.

David--I will PM you about a summertime crossing from S. Florida.

Cheers!
Old 26-04-2017, 09:16   #13

Boat: Hunter 33.5

I have done several trips, Ft.Lauderdale to Bimini, always motor sailed to Miami and then motor sailed approx. 129 degrees to Bimini, leaving Miami Government Cut late evening and getting to Bimini after daybreak.

Have many friends in the sailing club who have also made the trip and we all motor sailed.

Required is an Epirb, good vhf radios and a bottle of rum for the arrival............
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 12:33   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh1849 View Post
I have done several trips, Ft.Lauderdale to Bimini, always motor sailed to Miami and then motor sailed approx. 129 degrees to Bimini, leaving Miami Government Cut late evening and getting to Bimini after daybreak.

Have many friends in the sailing club who have also made the trip and we all motor sailed.

Required is an Epirb, good vhf radios and a bottle of rum for the arrival............
I prefer to sail/motor down to No Name Harbor and spend the night there, leave early the next morning and get in to Bimini by mid-afternoon. I find that overnight passages, unless longer than a 2-3 days where you can get into a rhythm, leave you so wiped out the next day that the day is a bust for anything else but sleeping...

Ditto on the EPIRB, VHF and rum, and throw in an AIS receiver for good measure. Seeing all the commercial traffic gives you peace of mind, especially at night. Even better is an AIS transponder so those ships see you too.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas